Vegas equivalent to FCP 8 pt garbage matte. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM   #16
Regular Crew

You know, this is the second time this topic has come up recently and the manual doesn't really help at all. That's a shame because the advanced compositing capabilities of Vegas are one of its greatest advantages, yet Sony doesn't push them or even highlight them in the manual. I think I will find some time to do an advanced tutorial on masking, including how to use the "pen" tool with greater accuracy, understanding the mask modes, rotoscoping, etc. I ask only that some guru with a lot of advanced experience in 3D makes a tutorial that shows me how to make a 3D cube and the logic behind the techniques!
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:13 AM   #17
Old Boot

Ah! Now I understand. Good!

My approach would be to do the Pen thing - actually, the masking refers to the creation of a Bezier Mask. The Masks are created by the application of Bezier function. Select the Pen (ACT) and moving to the Workspace in Pan/Crop Left-click to place a Point and move to the next "point" and Left click - a line will appear between the 2 points and move on till you have surrounded the item, with your LAST click should be on the first point whereon you will have created a Bezier Mask.

Moving on . . . . Your BG footage is on track2? Yes? Well, by CK-ing out the green and having these 2 holes ( stands and stuff gone!) you should now have the Video on Track 2 appear through it. BUT the thing to watch out for is that you need to set the Mode to Negative. This will punch a hole.

Should be dead easy.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:16 AM   #18
Old Boot

Ken, I'm real glad I asked the questions? - Yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:57 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Discovering the power of Bézier masking is a pretty decent starter article from the good folks at Sony.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

Vol 5 #2 and Vol 3 #3 of my newsletters also talk about masking and/or using the Bezier mask tool.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Campbell View Post
I think I will find some time to do an advanced tutorial on masking, including how to use the "pen" tool with greater accuracy, understanding the mask modes, rotoscoping, etc. I ask only that some guru with a lot of advanced experience in 3D makes a tutorial that shows me how to make a 3D cube and the logic behind the techniques!
I hope you do, there are some great FREE fcp vids on the web but the Vegas ones are generally lousy -- the free ones. They're mostly done by jokey kids and they just generally stink. I've suffered through several.

I loves Ed's stuff but I do better with video tutorials rather than text based.

Thanks for all the help, the reason my mask wasn't working was I was not making a complete loop around the subject. It's like someone said here, "Make a hole".
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Brian, OK. I'll give it a whirl. I will do an advanced video that goes into depth on how to select and manipulate points and segments and I have a few tricks up my sleeve I can include as well. Give me until early next week as there are a few odd projects I have to finish first.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...