How to import JVC HM-100 .mov files to Vegas 8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Trustee

How to import JVC HM-100 .mov files to Vegas 8?

Hi guys. I got some raw footage from the HM-100 which was recorded in .mov wrapper. I have tried importing the footge and dragging directly to the time line but it shows up as an audio file only. I have not been able to try the inspector in QT Pro yet.

Anyway to get this thing to work in Vegas? I am considering putting it into FCP to be rendered out to avi or something if I have no choice! Thanks.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Trustee

Up till last nite it was the latest ver. Just noticed there is a newer one now. Anyway I found a hack using Calibrated xD (USD80) It allows you to playback XDCAM .mov files on a PC with Quicktime. Anything that QT can playback Vegas will edit! The demo works ok with Vegas 8 but it is choppy. Not good for editing. Have not installed Vegas 9 yet thou. I have a feeling it may work since it now has support for the XDCAM natively.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sean, did you have any luck?

I tried exactly the same thing. I have the Calibrated patch and QT Pro. Plays back fine in that. However when the MOV files are dropped into the timeline in Vegas 9, I am getting freezing of the program for a while and then the playback stutters a lot and the program is dirt slow. I have to work with the MOV files becouse the raw files need to go to the client (he has FCP).
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh, Sean? One more thing.

I do have Vegas Pro 9a, 32 bit.
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Foust View Post
I have to work with the MOV files becouse the raw files need to go to the client (he has FCP).
This is not a reason for you to work with the RAW files. You simply need the files in a format that preserves the quality and that both of you can work with. I am betting that the "ProRes" friendly version that this camera shoots in is going to be very PC unfriendly. Even with Quicktime's built in ProRes decoder.

You may be stuck. He may have to pull these raw files into FCP and output you a valid set of ProRes files that you can actually work with.
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sean,
Try freeware utility MP4toMPGv3.exe to convert .mov-files to .mpg-files.
(translated from German by Google)

Hope, its help to you.
Ivan Pin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...