DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Need a quicktime file made with Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/236658-need-quicktime-file-made-vegas.html)

Simon Denny June 3rd, 2009 03:15 AM

Need a quicktime file made with Vegas?

I have used vegas for years and now have moved on to Final Cut Pro so all my work is to do with Quicktime files.
I have some samples in Vegas that I would like to turn into a Quicktime file to play back on my MBP for a client.
Here is the problem when I render to the Quicktime template the thing renders but a message comes up saying unable to make a Quicktime file.
So I thought I would make a h.264 file but the quality is not what I'm after unless I can get h.246 uncompressed?
What are my options to get an uncompressed Quicktime file outa Vegas?

Thanks

Jeff Harper June 3rd, 2009 04:01 AM

You "shouldn't" be getting the message, so short of trying a reinstall of Vegas (I haven't had this problem so I don't know any solutions to the specific issue) I would render to avi uncompressed and take that into FCP and render to quicktime. As long as FCP will take avi you should be fine.

Edward Troxel June 3rd, 2009 06:17 AM

Why not just render an uncompressed AVI file and then use Quicktime Pro on your Mac to convert it to an MOV file?

Simon Denny June 3rd, 2009 06:26 AM

Yeah I know AVI to Quicktime is the answer.
Thanks guys.

I have to say I used Vegas for years and now that I'm editing with FCP I've lost all my Vegas skills. One this I miss is the audio tools with Vegas.

Cheers

Simon Denny June 3rd, 2009 07:23 AM

Sorry another problem.
When I render out to AVI it's giving me a 4:3 aspect.
My settings are 1440 x 1080i par is 1.33
Why is it rendering out to 4:3 do you think?

Regards

Jeff Harper June 3rd, 2009 07:38 AM

Sorry, I have no idea.

Michael Wisniewski June 3rd, 2009 08:23 AM

Try changing the Frame Size of the Render As... dialog box. It's in the Custom button > Video tab. There's a setting the change the Frame Size to (Use Project Settings)

Seth Bloombaum June 3rd, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 1153344)
Sorry another problem.
When I render out to AVI it's giving me a 4:3 aspect.
My settings are 1440 x 1080i par is 1.33
Why is it rendering out to 4:3 do you think?

Regards

If the above suggestions don't work for you, the brute-force method for dealing with non-square pixels is to render to a square-pixel format. For your hdv originated material at 1440x1080 pixels @ 1.33 par, the equivalent is 1920x1080@1.0.

These sorts of problems almost always relate to PAR flagging being incorrectly set by the user, incorrectly set by the encoder, or incorrectly interpreted by the decoder.

Jeff Harper June 3rd, 2009 06:07 PM

Damn Seth, how do you know all this stuff?

Simon, Seth's tips with rendering to avi has helped me before with other sizes of things, so definitely try his tip if Michaels tip doesn't work.

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 3rd, 2009 06:31 PM

Simon,
If your goal is to playback great looking video on your MBP, I'll recommend two turns not mentioned here.
A-1920 x 1080 AVC... plays great in QT.
B-MXF file 1440 x 1080. You'll need the (free) Sony .mxf plugin for FCP. These too, play in QT Pro, and are stunning. They'll also be editable in FCP and Vegas alike.

Simon Denny June 3rd, 2009 10:18 PM

Thanks DSE,
I have been playing around with 1920 x 1080 AVC mpeg4 but what compression setting do I use.
I have tried Max (bps) @ 20k and Avg @ 14k
Results are good but still some compression going on.
Maybe I need to crank up the bitrate more?
I want to show a client clean footage, could you recommend the compression setting.

Thanks
Simon

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 3rd, 2009 11:52 PM

It's AVC. Expect some minor artifacting depending on the detail and motion.
You might try rendering the highest motion/deepest detail section as both 50Mbps mxf and 24Mbps AVC.
Compare them. The mxf will likely win out and your system should have little trouble playing it back.
You didn't mention the source.

Simon Denny June 4th, 2009 12:46 AM

My source is Sony Z1 shot @ 1440 x 1080i Pal
The sequence setting is also the same as footage shot.

Cheers