DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How do you get text to travel around the world (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/236877-how-do-you-get-text-travel-around-world.html)

Ken Olson June 6th, 2009 05:15 PM

How do you get text to travel around the world

I have a rotating earth globe and would my text to come from behind the world, pause in front, and then roll back behind it in the other direction.

I did something similar in Ulead MSP8 using the "Cylinder-3D" effect I think, but can't figure out how to do in Vegas. I played around with the Spherize, but can't get it to do what i want.

Ryan Laytart June 7th, 2009 12:21 PM

Maybe play around with the punch effect. Place it on the text event, then add a cookie cutter to create the circular border around the text (maybe with some feather.) Add movement from left to right (or vice versa) on the text. Hopefully that should achieve what you're looking for.

Ken Olson June 9th, 2009 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Ryan for replying.

I've since discovered setting the Track "Compositing Mode" to "3D Source Alpha" and have played around to get close. But I can't get the text to actually curve. (see attached)

I also tried playing around with your suggestion of the "Punch" and "Cookie Cutter" effects, but didn't get very far. Any chance that you could send me some sample settings, so I have an example to use as the base for my project?

Ken

John Gordon June 9th, 2009 12:18 PM

you could try putting together that sequence with Bluff Titler. Just a suggestion.

John

Ken Olson June 9th, 2009 12:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion John, but there must be a way of doing this without having to purchase an add-on?

Mike Kujbida June 9th, 2009 12:57 PM

Ken, Vegas is a 2D app, not a 3D one so you're asking a lot from it.
Having said that, I did a search elsewhere and came up with the following ($$$) suggestions: Boris FX, Boris Red, Adobe AE, Lens Correction (part of one of the NewBlue FX collections).
For free, give Wax a try.

Ken Olson June 9th, 2009 01:14 PM

Oh well, looks like I was dreaming. After seeing all the creative videos on YouTube, I assumed Vegas could do it.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Ken

Steve Renouf June 9th, 2009 05:26 PM

Open Source option

If you're looking for an inexpensive (free) way of doing 3D stuff, try Blender - it's a steep learning curve but it's really powerful.

Blender.Org

Jason Robinson June 9th, 2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Olson (Post 1156289)
Oh well, looks like I was dreaming. After seeing all the creative videos on YouTube, I assumed Vegas could do it.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Ken

Vegas is especially weak (still) in 3D text manipulation. Overall, it is pretty terrible for anything but the most simple of text effects & movements.

Ryan Laytart June 9th, 2009 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached my best attempt at using vegas to create your effect. As Robinson said, vegas is a weak 3D program.

Jason Robinson June 9th, 2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Olson (Post 1156220)
Thank you Ryan for replying.

I've since discovered setting the Track "Compositing Mode" to "3D Source Alpha" and have played around to get close. But I can't get the text to actually curve. (see attached)

I also tried playing around with your suggestion of the "Punch" and "Cookie Cutter" effects, but didn't get very far. Any chance that you could send me some sample settings, so I have an example to use as the base for my project?

Ken

That is pretty good, for what Vegas can do. If Vegas had any real knowledge of 3D objects other than 2D squares joined into a 3D object, then it wouldn't be such a royal pain to do this.

Now that I saw your version, I think the closest you can get with Vegas is to put each letter on its own track, and arrange the tracks in a circle so that they bend around in an approximate circle. Put them all as child tracks in a parent track and then rotate the parent track in a circle.

Ken Olson June 10th, 2009 05:17 PM

Thanks Ryan for taking a stab at it. It looks like John's recommendation of BluffTitler is exactly what will do it, fairly easy to use and not too costly. There is also a very detailed tutorial on the site.

Check out the "Windows Vista" and HD Resolutions" screen shots here:
BluffTitler DX9: 3D Effects for Video Titling and Digital Signage - Screenshots

Ryan Laytart June 10th, 2009 05:24 PM

Looks like a killer application. I think I'll look into getting it, myself.

Stan Harkleroad June 10th, 2009 08:43 PM

Bluff Titler is a fantastic program. Not to difficult to learn and not super expensive. I know it's a pain to have to use another program but you'll find it's well worth the extra effort.

Steven Reid June 12th, 2009 06:32 AM

I used Bluff Titler exactly for the globe effect you're trying to achieve. Loaded the pre-made project from the BF gallery (in BF), replaced the orbiting text with my own, rendered, dropped into Vegas, added ~15s intro music, rendered, and had my own slick-looking into for my movies. It was incredibly easy and looked fairly professional, in contrast to much of the cheesy effects you can also achieve with BF. I find myself using BF every now and then for stuff that I couldn't possibly do (by myself) in Vegas. Well worth the inexpensive investment.

$0.02,
Steve