thumbnails keeps redrawing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Major Player

thumbnails keeps redrawing

I've got my project media sized to fit my 1600x1200 desktop on the 2ndary monitor. When in thumbnail view mode, Veags keeps redrawing individual thumbnails on a random basis. Whenever I scroll thru the bin, it always redraws the new line. I thought the thumbnails are embedded in the SFK files? Why does the redraw occur? Also, while playing a clip in the Trimmer, on a random basis, a bunch of clips' thumbnail would blank out and then Vegas redraws them. When I resize the Project Media window down to show only rows of thumbnails, the redraw doesn't occur. It's almost as if Vegas has a tiny buffer to store the thumbnails in memory... I'm using 8.0c.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Whenever I scroll thru the bin, it always redraws the new line. I thought the thumbnails are embedded in the SFK files? Why does the redraw occur?
No, the thumbnails are not in the SFK files. They are a visual representation of the audio waveform. It makes sense to me that when a new line is revealed it would have to open the new line of files to pull in the image to use.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
No, the thumbnails are not in the SFK files. They are a visual representation of the audio waveform. It makes sense to me that when a new line is revealed it would have to open the new line of files to pull in the image to use.
No the thumbnail is not a waveform. It is a low-res image of the first frame from the clip. You're right, the SFK files contains the waveform.

So why does Vegas have to redraw the thubmnails all the time? Doesn't it have an intelligent thumbnail cache file system?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...