DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Ready to buy after trial, (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/237400-ready-buy-after-trial.html)

Bill Spearman June 15th, 2009 07:21 PM

Ready to buy after trial,

wondering if there is a reason to buy the disk version for the $80 more, rather than the download? Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Fwiw, the trial drove me nuts for a bit, but now with even a minute grasp of how to do the very basic chores, I really like Vegas. It seems to have so much capability, that I hope to develop skills I can't think of yet. Many thanks to the posters here (with great patience) who helped me understand how to get out of my own way!

Pavel Houda June 15th, 2009 07:44 PM

Still on the fence

Bill, what type of files do you work with? I was considering to switch from FC on Mac, because I'd like to make Blu-ray discs and BDs on DVD's and liked the DVD Architect. I also hoped that I can preserve the original AVC files from my Sony camcorder, to do minimum of conversions, but it seems that heavy rendering is taking place anyway ( I don't quite understand why, because my PS-3 plays the files straight from the camcorder, so why render them? (I am probably using the wrong workflow). Anyway, I don't like the cheesy Toast, but the Architect will not output playable BD on DVD for the PS-3 (another topic), and the Vegas requires (I think) a very powerful CPU to preview AVCHD motion. Even though I can play the original files smoothly on my PC, the video is so jerky in Vegas PRO, it is impossible to preview motion( I need to see the motion to edit the appropriate portions properly). Anyone has any suggestions? Do I need i7?

Bill, I am sorry if I hijacked your thread, to answer your question, I would always get the disc for something so expensive as Vegas Pro. I don't trust my HD's and PC's that much.

Vaughan Wood June 15th, 2009 08:24 PM

Pavel,

I usually use Edius, but know from their forums that NO NLE seems to be able to play or edit AVC files in real time without rendering to a different codec.

Even people with i7's report they can't get real time playback.

Cheers,

Vaughan

Don Bloom June 15th, 2009 08:30 PM

Bill, back to the original question of yours. DL or buy the disc. I've been using Vegas since version 2 and have never had a disc. DL makes it fast and easy to get. Easy to get started right away without waiting for a disc. However make sure to keep your online receipt, SN and all other pertainent information in either a Word or Notepad file on a seperate drive other than your system drive just in case.
I hate discs, I've got so many sitting around from years ago but heaven forbid I throw one out, you never know when you might need the software. ;-)

Peter Moretti June 16th, 2009 01:10 AM

You do get getting started manual-ettes and some cards w/ keyboard shortcuts when you get the boxed set.

Don Bloom June 16th, 2009 04:55 AM

most of the getting started info is online either in the form of PDF at Sony or here or at Edward Troxels site and the keyboard shortcuts are all over the place.
I just hate having to get more discs ;-)

Gary Brun June 16th, 2009 05:05 AM

I always get the downloads because I don't have to wait.
Save all files on my portable program disk along with all serials.
I also believe I'm saving a little bit of the environment by not collecting all the manuals and boxes etc. Also storage of all these boxes and programs take up a lot of space.

Gary

Edward Troxel June 16th, 2009 06:37 AM

Just get the download version. All you need is the serial number anyway. Plus, once downloaded you can burn it to CD yourself!

If you want the "extras", you can also pay the shipping to ($15 extra) and get them too.

David Wayne Groves June 16th, 2009 06:31 PM

Just do the download, the disc is useless after the first patch anyway, and the booklet is offered as a free download on the sony website, just keep your copy of the serial numbers and your good to go...I just purchased the Vegas 9 upgrade download and within 15 minutes I was installing my software as well as the free new blue sampler pack, 1 of 3 offered by sony till the end of June as well as the $50 reduction on Vegas 9....Got all my serial numbers VIA Email and I am good to go....

Tom Roper June 16th, 2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel Houda (Post 1158975)
Anyway, I don't like the cheesy Toast, but the Architect will not output playable BD on DVD for the PS-3 (another topic).

Yes it will, just need a few preparatory steps.

Bill Spearman June 20th, 2009 08:56 AM

Note - Bought the download, with some trepidation but all is well, installed and did my first rough edit last night to review with a client today. There is so much to learn, but all of you make the process much less intimidating. Thanks to all of you for insight and input!