What's the Verdict on Vegas 9 ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 27th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen View Post
Currently using Vegas 8 Pro. Is it worth upgrading to V9 at this time?
NO!!!

Vegas 9 just sits on my computer. I am using Vegas 8. So far Vegas 9 was a 100% waste of money!!!

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #17
Trustee

Hmmm. Pity I can't find a copy of Vegas 8 still on sale anywhere. Just heard yesterday from a friend that colleague of his is looking to sell an older version of Vegas so I will have to contact him and see if it is version 8.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
Vegas 9 just sits on my computer. I am using Vegas 8. So far Vegas 9 was a 100% waste of money!!!

Danny Fye
Same here...using 8.0c and waiting for an update to 9.0....
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I would love to sell mine, but I don't use Vegas 9 at all either; like Bob I'm waiting for 9.0a.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

In my case, I've been using 9 for months! It does what it's supposed to do. Plus the 64-but version is MUCH better than 8.1.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Loaded Win 7 yesterday. Noticeable performance improvement so far.

Project loading snappier. Moving thru transitions which normally bog smoother.

Not bad so far.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I was apprehensive about updating from Vegas 8.0 Pro to 9.0 after all the negativity Ive read here.. but i jumped in and to be honest its fine.

All but one of the presets for the rendering migrated over. Thats been the only problem, and it took a couple of minutes, literally, to fix.

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #23
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

I've hit a few bugs in 9.0 that I've reported and that will be fixed in 9.0a, but overall, I use 9.0 all the time now and it's working well for me with XDCAM SD and HD.

The only thing that really disrupts my workflow is not having Satish's frameserver working with it yet, I hope he fixes that soon.

And there is one bug I can't really report cause I can't explain how to trigger it... There seems to be some sort of memory or resource leak or something... Basically, sometimes after editing for a while, my playback rate will slow to half what it should be based on what I know my computer can do. When this happens, I have to save what I'm doing, shut down Vegas, reboot the computer and relaunch it and reload my project. At that point, everything that should be playing back at full framerate will. This same problem actually causes it to not be able to temp render to AVI on disk, it'll lockup when trying. And the RAM temp render was playing much slower than normal, too.

I'm gonna try that new aviplug.dll mentioned earlier in this thread and see if that helps.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
In my case, I've been using 9 for months! It does what it's supposed to do. Plus the 64-but version is MUCH better than 8.1.
Being that I am still on a 32 bit system I cannot realize the advantages of 64 bit just yet.

Once Windows 7 is officially released and I build me a new system with the latest and greatest goodies then maybe Vegas 9 64 bit version will shine through for me?

For the time being it will have to be Vegas 8 and my current 32 bit system.

----------------------
I can forget about that so-called special price on the Windows 7 upgrade because and from what I read that won't happen from Windows XP Pro OEM! If I had the non OEM version it would still be a problem because I would have to go to Vista first and tests have shown that Micro$oft is full of it when it comes to their claim that it works. At least on older systems. Even so, why the 2 step non-sense when it should be a 1 step? Sorry about the off-topic but it relates to what I can do in the future with Vegas.
----------------------

I noticed that my favorite settings for my layouts are not in Vegas 9. How do I get them there?

Such things should be more automatic with the upgrades!

Danny Fye
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Just purchased Vegas 9 with the free New blue pak, completed my newest project without issue, sold my Vegas 8 to a co-worker, only complaint thus far is the runup time in the preview window during multicamera editing, should be fixed in the next update, Vegas 9 is a keeper for me....
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #26
Major Player

Tried it again...
Because Ed said it should work and because I installed the new .dll to solve the playback issue.

9.0 64bit will not work with my neoscene transcoded clips. I only get audio, no video on the timeline.

9.0 32bit does appear to work with the neoscene clips, but it constantly crashes before I can do anything with them.

So...back to 8.0c until 9.0a comes out.
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I gave up on Cineform ages ago. Too many issues and too many limitations. Now I cut proxies or I used DNxHD if I need full HD.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #28
Major Player

Looks like I spoke too soon about Vegas 9.. I was all clamoring in another thread the ability of rendering to Sony AVC without crashing... well my Vegas 9 just froze up while rendering..(I had to do a hard reset on my PC) same as v8c, and on the same project which I had previous rendered without any issues.. man I hate this thing! I have no confidence whatsoever in them.. Don't tell me they'll fix it in version a.. if version "C" of 8 had the same issue what makes us think version "a" of 9 will contain the fix?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Yang, what is Sony AVC and what is it used for? Never mind, I googled it. Its basically a format for blu ray discs, is that correct?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #30
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Ah well, I tried the new dll to see if it would help me with another problem I've been having, Vegas Pro 9 crashing when rendering to AVI when it changes from normal render to no recompression parts. Unfortunately, the new dll didn't help me. SCS did say they have some issues with AVI no recompress rendering that they are working on from a recent bug report I put in.

So now I'm rendering out a long project in Vegas Pro 9 in pieces and putting it together in Vegas Pro 8.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...