DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas freezes after render (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/237709-vegas-freezes-after-render.html)

Ian Stark June 21st, 2009 03:35 AM

Vegas freezes after render

This is a repeat of an issue I had a little while ago that went away after a complete system rebuild but has now returned.

Briefly, on completion of a project render, if I don't quickly click on Open or Open Folder, Vegas displays (on the progress bar at the bottom, not in the render progress window) that it is starting render 1 of 2, then 1 of 3, then 1 of 4 etc etc.

In fact, Vegas freezes at that point and although I can still click Open or Open Folder, the main Vegas program can only be closed through Task Manager. It doesn't appear to be actually rendering anything and the cancel button in the status bar has no effect. The render progress window is not visible and no file is created. The original (desired) rendered file is unchanged and works perfectly.

This happens regardless of project complexity, content or render format, but (and this is the frustrating part) it is intermittent. I just rendered the same project that displayed the problem last time and it didn't happen (I left it for an hour).

To confirm, I recently rebuilt my pc from scratch (full format, reinstalled o/s etc) and the problem seemed to have gone away. I can't think of anything that I have done, or anything I have installed, that might have caused this.

Specs: XP Pro SP3, 3Gb RAM, Quadcore @ 2.67GHz, Vegas 8.0c (build 260), Nvidia 8800GTX with 768Mb RAM, all drivers < 8 weeks old.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cause and/or a solution? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Last time there was a suspicion that it could have been an install of a WAMP server which may have caused some kind of SQL conflict. That shouldn't be the case this time as WAMP isn't installed.

This is frustrating rather than showstopping, but if I can get rid of the problem I will be a happy chappie.

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Ian Stark June 28th, 2009 04:16 AM

Anyone got any thoughts? I'd be surprised to learn I am the only person enjoying this problem.

Graham Bernard June 29th, 2009 01:14 AM

No, I don't get this - but . . . .

When I hear ANYthing to do with render or post render issues my thoughts are taken back to the time I had humongous issues with render hangs and BSDs happening. DUST on and in and around the cooling system.

You say you have done a system rebuild. Sure . .. Have you actually looked inside the box? Make doubly sure that any cooling "fins" are clean and visible and that any air ways are not blocked. I used a Vacuum cleaner and sucked NOT blew away any dust hair and detritus.

Result? My rendering and hangs went.

Also, I understand UK has had something of heatwave, and maybe this has exacerbated an ongoing, and intermittent issue? Maybe your cooling system needs to be overhauled?

Ian Stark June 29th, 2009 01:44 AM

Hi Grazie,

Very interesting suggestion. Funnily enough, it's been the cause of some recent unexpected shutdowns on my laptop - a quick clean of the fan and hey presto.

But as for the main pc, I am quite thorough and regular when it comes to cleaning. I have a pretty much industrial strength cooling system as well as a temperature monitor (I am not geeky enough to have asked for that - it came with the case!). I don't believe overheating is my problem here, especially as the problem doesn't occur when using equally processor intensive apps like Ultra or AE.

But a good thought nonetheless.

We are indeed having a bit of a heatwave here at the moment. Sounds like you're overseas at the moment - anywhere nice? I just returned from a few days shoot in Estonia - hot AND light almost 24 hours a day. How foolish of me to tell the client we would go on shooting until we lost the light . . . sigh . . .

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Graham Bernard June 29th, 2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1164690)
But as for the main pc, I am quite thorough and regular when it comes to cleaning. I have a pretty much industrial strength cooling system as well as a temperature monitor (I am not geeky enough to have asked for that - it came with the case!). I don't believe overheating is my problem here, especially as the problem doesn't occur when using equally processor intensive apps like Ultra or AE.

1] Have you looked inside? Today?

2] Can't comment on the amount of PC power needed for AE, but IS it the same as Vegas-rendering? Until you have figures you might NOT be comparing like with like.

Ian Stark June 29th, 2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1164702)
1] Have you looked inside? Today?

I have now - all clean and cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1164702)
2] Can't comment on the amount of PC power needed for AE, but IS it the same as Vegas-rendering? Until you have figures you might NOT be comparing like with like.

My processor tcase temp peaks at 55c (Intel rate it for 62c) and the tjunction temp peaks at 60c - all well within tolerances. Ambient is 22c. I don't overclock and the only other card I have in the box is the graphics card which is also independently cooled (although it is recirc not rear exhaust so it's rated as 'middling' by SpeedFan standards).

This problem is present (intermittently) regardless of the length of the project - it can happen on a 60 second render as well as a 6 hour render. Also, it doesn't hang or crash the pc - it just freezes Vegas. I can re-render the exact same project straight away and it works perfectly OK.

Pretty sure overheating is not the problem but I will certainly keep an eye on it.

Jeff Harper June 29th, 2009 06:40 AM

While this likely will not help, try turning off your virtual memory, reboot and see what happens. After you reboot you might as well delete your pagefile (good routine maintenance thing to do anyway).

Defragment your C drive afterwards as further good practice.

Sometimes virtual memory can get corrupted, so I've heard.

You can turn your virtual memory back on anytime after your test.

Ian Stark June 29th, 2009 07:05 AM

Always worth a try! Thanks Jeff. Again, you'd think that if this were the problem it would manifest itself elsewhere, but I'll give it a whirl. As you say, always good practice, as is Grazie's cleaning idea.

Jeff Harper June 30th, 2009 11:43 PM

I really doubt it will do anything but what the heck.

As I've seen the following help with other issues, you could try lowering the number of rendering threads to 1, and if that fixes it then increase till the problem returns. You might also add in lowering the preview ram to 0.

These thing were suggested for Sony AVC rendering issue, and I had forgotten about them, but I know lowering the number of threads used to be a common work around for a number of different things.

Ian Stark July 1st, 2009 05:15 AM

Sadly all already done with no effect :-(

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that this must be due to some conflict unique to my machine. Having said that, I'm very surprised that no-one else has seen this.

One opportunity I have to resolve this problem is that I am moving in to my first 'proper' studio at the moment. The last thing to move across is the edit suite and when that goes I will be dedicating the machine to Vegas, Cakewalk Sonar, After Effects and Photoshop - period. No internet, no Office, no email, no antivirus etc etc. I'm hoping that this will give me some performance improvements as well (although I haven't had cause to complain about performance so far anyway).

Fingers crossed!

Ian . . .

Richard Hunter July 1st, 2009 05:35 AM

Hi Ian. If you want to try something else that probably won't work either, you could pull one of your RAM sticks or even swap them around. Sometimes memory glitches can cause wierd symptoms.

Richard

Ian Stark July 1st, 2009 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's an interesting thought, Richard. Again, I would have imagined that problems would manifest themselves in other apps as well as Vegas (and maybe they are but I haven't noticed them) but I did drop a second 2Gb stick in a few months back (same brand, same speed etc) to give me 3Gb usable. I wonder if that's the culprit? I will investigate.

Meanwhile, here's a picture showing exactly what happens. The (1 of 29) display in the status bar increments from (1 of 1) to (1 of 2) etc etc. The only way to get out of it is to force Vegas to close using Task Manager. Only one file is actually rendered (perfectly) and there does not seem to be additional disk or processor activity. Weird . . .

Jeff Harper July 1st, 2009 10:54 AM

Yes Ian, take out that stick! Sounds like you might be closing in on this.

Also, have you tried checking the close this window box?

Ian Stark July 1st, 2009 10:58 AM

Yeah, fingers crossed! And yes, I have tried clicking on everything clickable, to no avail.

Wade Harrington July 2nd, 2009 06:56 AM

I have the same problem every now and then.. Just gets stuck and have to alt ctrl del to close vegas