How to slow down audio by 0.01% for 5D Sync? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Trustee

How to slow down audio by 0.01% for 5D Sync?

I saw the Zacuto tutorial on how to slow down the audio to 99.9% to sync external audio from the H4n to the 5D2. Is that possible with Vegas?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Hold down the CTRL key and resize the audio to the proper length.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Ed: How do you control a 0.1% length reduction via ctrl+mouse?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

My assumption was that the length would also appear "short" and the video would be a longer event and you'd basically match them up. I was also guessing that it might not be exactly .01%.

However, for another option, there's also a "Time Stretch" effect. But I'd just hold down the CTRL key and adjust. Test it out, if it's still off, hold down the CTRL key and adjust again until it's right.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree with Edward.
I've used the Ctrl+drag feature numerous times and it's a great tool !!
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

With both audio track lined up at the start go to the end of the track and zoom in and you should be able to see how much the drift is. Hold your mouse cursor over th end of your new track and hold down the CTRL key. You'll see the "~" symbol appear. Move your mouse left or right until it lines up with the original track and they will now be in sync.

I use a trick I came up with where I find an event at the end of the recording and create a loop region in the area where the new audio track drifts from teh original. Then I drag the loop region to the end of teh new track and I know exactly how much it needs to be altered. This way I'm not just guessing. I usualy zoom in and out multiple times to find and exact spot and it works like a charm.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If you use NeoScene or other Cineform tools, it is conformed automatically. Original 5D conversions in Cineforms resulted in dead track at the end, based on length of capture. I would have to do the same drag to lengthen track. Worked fine.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM   #8
Trustee

Yes I use Neoscene to get the avi for editing within Vegas. I had the impression that I will need to sync the audio from the H4n if I drag it onto the timeline directly.

Reason is I record a whole chunk from the H4n and match it to several clips in post. This is very tedious for event use.

Chris, so you mean that I do not need to do it since I use Neoscene? Therefore only FCP users who drag the files in directly or convert to Prores will need it?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Ahh! I didn't realize the audio track would appear as a shorter segment than the video track.. Then yes, the ctrl+drag will work perfectly if you have snapping enabled. I use NeoScene so I guess I'm a bit oblivious to this..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...