How to capture from TV to Vegas?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Major Player

How to capture from TV to Vegas??

Hi All,

I need to capture a program from TV to Vegas. How can I do that? Please take me through the steps.

Thanks
Matthew
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Tuner -> convertor -> firewire -> computer

Use a convertor like the Canopus ADVC series to convert the signal from analog to standard DV. Then you can capture as DV-AVI and edit away. Make sure you turn OFF "Device Control".
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Major Player

note: I think it will capture at an ungodly rate though; maybe full avi, not even DV. Not sure, but look out for it. Wouldn't want you to be troubleshooting and out of disc space once the tv show starts. I think I tried it once early on. I don't know if there's a way to change the capture mode.
edit:
maybe the canpopus device as Ed referred to addresses this issue... sorry :-)
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Canopus as Ed suggested is good or find a used consumer camcorer that has analog pass through. Plus an A/V cable (Red/White/Yellow RCA > 1/8" male plug) from your TV to the camcorder and firewire from the camera to your PC. Then you can use Vegas or any other capture program to catch the feed as DV-AVI and you're in business.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
maybe the canpopus device as Ed referred to addresses this issue... sorry :-)
Yea, the Canopus ADVC series captures DV25 at 13GB/hr the same as if you were capturing from a miniDV camcorder.

If this is a one time event, using your camcorder is the cheapest approach. If you are doing this professionally, the ADVC will give you great quality. If this is just for yourself, you might want to just buy a TV capture card for your PC (like those from Hauppauge). These are much cheaper and their primary purpose is to capture TV shows so the software has a programming guide and the ability to set a timed recording like a VCR. Most of these cards capture MPEG2 so that they are ready to burn directly to DVD. You could also edit the files in Vegas but you can't capture from these TV cards in Vegas due to their proprietary interfaces.

~jr
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

All excellent advice but if you want to avoid the hassle of inter-connecting cables might it not be a good idea to try recording the programme to a DVD using your DVD recorder and then importing this disk into Vegas? Haven't tried it but might be worth a shot.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...