Vegas 9 and Windows 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 9 and Windows 7

My experience with Vegas 9 64 on Vista 64 bit has been very unhappy.

Then I installed Windows 7. While my pronouncement is preliminary to say the least, I am absolutely loving Windows 7, it flies and seems to destroy Vista. In addition, Vegas 9 64 bit seems to operate much better with Windows 7.

I have never "fallen in love" with an OS before, but this experience so far comes very close.

I was not unhappy with Vista particularly, but Windows 7 is so much more responsive. I feel like it is actually utilizing all 12gb of ram...it is so fast I'm actually in shock.

In a day or two I may find bugs, etc., and I'll report back, but on this first day I'm a very happy camper.

Windows 7 gets a big thumbs up from me.

To quote HPs Chief Technology Officer: "The quality of the code is absolutely stellar". Based on what I'm seeing it is indeed.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 24th, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
My experience with Vegas 9 64 on Vista 64 bit has been very unhappy.

Then I installed Windows 7. While my pronouncement is preliminary to say the least, I am absolutely loving Windows 7, it flies and seems to destroy Vista. In addition, Vegas 9 64 bit seems to operate much better with Windows 7.

I have never "fallen in love" with an OS before, but this experience so far comes very close.

I was not unhappy with Vista particularly, but Windows 7 is so much more responsive. I feel like it is actually utilizing all 12gb of ram...it is so fast I'm actually in shock.

In a day or two I may find bugs, etc., and I'll report back, but on this first day I'm a very happy camper.

Windows 7 gets a big thumbs up from me.

To quote HPs Chief Technology Officer: "The quality of the code is absolutely stellar". Based on what I'm seeing it is indeed.
Looks like MS got the message on priorities. Vista was centered on DRM and system security and and flashy but non value-enhancing UI. Noble goals, but is putting the cart before the horse.

The most secure OS in the world isn't wortjh a hill of beans if it's slow or difficult to use.

Vista wasn't that bad, but no wonder so many refused to upgrade. Maybe Apple and Adobe's dominiance in the Media/Media Tools market gave them a good scare.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, there is at least one issue with me for Windows 7, and that is intermittent issues with internet connectivity. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Most of the time it does, and I'm still enjoying it enough I am overlooking the above issue so far.
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Well, there is at least one issue with me for Windows 7, and that is intermittent issues with internet connectivity. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Most of the time it does, and I'm still enjoying it enough I am overlooking the above issue so far.
I haven't seen that problem Jeff...did you download all the updates?

BTW...MS is offering a 1/2 price pre-purchase deal...

Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

That is awesome Bob...

I have downloaded the updates...when I did a search I found some others with issues of the same type, not tons, but a few.

I found by uninstalling an reinstalling the drivers for my NIC it solved the issue.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 26th, 2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The issue of internet connectivity is happening about once a day...I have found by unplugging from one LAN input and plugging into the other the problem is solved. Primitive but effective and simple.
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
BTW...MS is offering a 1/2 price pre-purchase deal...

Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer
From what I read, one can't go directly from Windows XP Pro OEM to Windows 7. One has to buy Vista and THEN get Windows 7.

Is this correct?

If so, then so much for the 1/2 price pre-purchase deal. :(

Information so far leaves one begging for answers.

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've been a few day on Win 7 64 - so far no issues to note of. Am happy with it - will post if anything negative occurs.
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If the upgrade requires installing on top of old installation of Vista it will be a deal breaker anyway, for me. If we will be able to use the upgrade to do a clean installation then I'm buying it. Vista's upgrade requires, as I recall, installing on top of another OS and that is something I never have done nor will I. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
If the upgrade requires installing on top of old installation of Vista it will be a deal breaker anyway, for me. If we will be able to use the upgrade to do a clean installation then I'm buying it. Vista's upgrade requires, as I recall, installing on top of another OS and that is something I never have done nor will I. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
The beta install allows a choice of either clean install or 'over' install. Your pick. I chose the over install - and it's performing well. I'm not sure the upgrade 'over' install works in what most believe the conventional process of simply overwriting files - it makes a really big deal of collecting file and settings information, performing the install and then copying over the data to be transferred. Took a couple of hours! Holy Smokes! I'm sure a regular clean install would've been done in 20 minutes. I'm also pretty sure you can perform the clean install without first formatting the drive or deleting anything in advance. In this case the upgrade would simply place the old data in a renamed directory.
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
From what I've read over at sevenforums.com, all you need is the Vista disc to prove you have it, it doesn't have to be installed.
Just like the old days with Win95 and XP....
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Gene, I am running the RS version and same thing, you can choose, but I'm skeptical that it will be the case with the upgrade retail version, though from what Bob says I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Gene, I am running the RS version and same thing, you can choose, but I'm skeptical that it will be the case with the upgrade retail version, though from what Bob says I'm cautiously optimistic.
Can't blame you at all for being sceptical - MS earns that with a long history of behavior that'll take a long time for them to come out from under.

Seem like Windows 7 did a lot of work under the hood on file I/O. It just tickles me to see the difference. I have this one .veg with about 64 short clips and to watch it load with thumbnails is impressive compared to what used to be a lengthy wait under Vista.
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Read the FAQs Danny, it has answers for you and I.

First you can upgrade from XP, and second it explains you can do a clean install.

This is great news!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...order-faq.aspx
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Important Note:

There are a limited number of copies...newegg has already sold out of the home edition.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...