Encoding to Mpeg-2 leads to bad frame but... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Encoding to Mpeg-2 leads to bad frame but...

HI all,

I just tried twice to render a project using the Mpeg-2 DVDA widescreen preset and twice did the result had bad frames. In both attempt the frames were located at exactly the same time.

Now here is a weird thing. I usually playback through KMPlayer but in WMP and VDub those frames were OK.

Are there bad frames after all or is it just KMplayer giving up on me?

Another thing is that if I try to render only the sequences in which the bad frames are located well there won't be any. The bad frames will occur only if I render the whole thing out.

One another note I usually find that KMplayer picture playback will fit with what I see in Vegas. WMP and VDub will often blow up the whites WAY UP. I leveled the events that gave me issues and now the whites are fine when viewed through WMP or Vdub while the same white backgrounds in Vegas and KMplayer now look kinda greyish.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
HI all,

I just tried twice to render a project using the Mpeg-2 DVDA widescreen preset and twice did the result had bad frames. In both attempt the frames were located at exactly the same time.

Now here is a weird thing. I usually playback through KMPlayer but in WMP and VDub those frames were OK.

Are there bad frames after all or is it just KMplayer giving up on me?

Another thing is that if I try to render only the sequences in which the bad frames are located well there won't be any. The bad frames will occur only if I render the whole thing out.

One another note I usually find that KMplayer picture playback will fit with what I see in Vegas. WMP and VDub will often blow up the whites WAY UP. I leveled the events that gave me issues and now the whites are fine when viewed through WMP or Vdub while the same white backgrounds in Vegas and KMplayer now look kinda greyish.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Phil
It sounds like the player is at fault, because there should be no difference in output at all. By rendering just the short sequence, you changed where that frame was in the compressed output and it worked - that's another indication it's the application and not the encoder.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...