DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Definitive monitor set-up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/23805-definitive-monitor-set-up.html)

James Sudik March 30th, 2004 02:29 PM

Definitive monitor set-up

Hey folks, I have read a lot (if not all) of the "Vegas" threads pertaining to monitors. End result is, I remain a bit confused. I am upgrading to Vegas+DVD next month. I have a well spec'ed machine, with dual monitor & firewire support. I have to make some decisions about how I will set up my monitor(s). My options are fairly unlimited as to cost (in realistic ranges), meaning I can get 2 flatscreen monitors, or 1 flat & 1 CRT, or a small NTSC monitor, or whatever would be the most ideal configuration for a (1 computer) editing studio. I also have a deck that supports firewire connection. Is the "only" purpose of 2 PC monitors the advantage of increased work area and/or full screen preview (which I do want to have)? As I understand it the PC displays are crap for color adjustments, so that can only be properly done on a NTSC monitor/tv, yes? What about a small LCD tv and a flatscreen monitor, would that serve both purposes? Bottom line, what is the "ideal" monitor set-up for editing with Vegas, if you could have whatever you want. I'll scale that info down to what is possible for me. I do not want to daisy a monitor via my cam or deck unless there is no other way, and I would like to only deal with 2 displays if possible, not 3. I appreciate any guidance on this.

Edward Troxel March 30th, 2004 03:22 PM

I personally like the external monitor available. Yeah, more screen realestate would be nice but, if choosing between the two, I prefer the external monitor. I use it for two reasons:

1) To adjust things for the safe area
2) To see the proper colors when color correcting.

Ideally, you would have two monitors for the display AND an external monitor.

Vince Debart March 31st, 2004 07:40 AM

Edward
I’m also setting up my monitors.. As to ntsc if I come out of one of the firewire ports into a Sony DV converter and use the S out into an S monitor will this give good quality control results…and will I see the capture video on this monitor?

Thanks Vince

ps should get my Vegas/DVD next week

Edward Troxel March 31st, 2004 08:10 AM

Yes. That should work fine.

Vince Debart March 31st, 2004 08:38 AM

thanks Edward

vince

Glen Elliott March 31st, 2004 08:43 AM

If your not planning on doing any graphic work and/or gaming I'd definitly opt for a nice widescreen LCD over CRT anyday. Problem is with me I...Edit, Game, and do graphic design on my machine. I used to have a dual LCD setup with a 13" TV as a make-shift editing monitor.

I have since found that the LCDs aren't very good for color correcting images, and my 13" TV isn't accurate for color correcting video. I sold one of my two LCDs for a LaCie Electron Blue IV w/ hardware calibrator (for graphic editing), and replaced my cheap-O Sylvania 13" TV with a much more advanced 14" Toshiba flatscreen. Great little set- has component video input as well as S-video (great for using cam as a deck....S is the best your going to get out of your cam to TV).
See the problem with the original Sylvania 13" is that it didn't have any adjustments. Subsequently I've been editing my projects using it as a reference for color and didn't know it was displaying the image much darker than it should. Because of that I ended up lightening my footage well beyond where I should have giving lots of my past weddings a slightly washed out look on normal TVs. With the new 14" I can adjust color, tint, contrast, brightness, etc. I can, to my best ability, calibrate it to NTSC color bars in Vegas and get a more accurate reference for color. Still no replacement for a real-deal NTSC editing monitor but not bad for only $150.

Vince Debart March 31st, 2004 09:03 AM

thanks for the info I do have a nice JVC 13" 16/9 or 4/3 monitor and have the same tosh. 14" as you it sounds like...when I capture will I see the video no the ntsc as I injest ? via sony dv converter

Thanks

Vince

Vince Debart March 31st, 2004 09:07 AM

note I capture with a sony dsr 11.. the sony converter is for the monitor

Vince

Edward Troxel March 31st, 2004 09:50 AM

The DSR-11 should BE your convertor. Hook up the external monitor the the DSR-11. You should be able to see the video while capturing AND use it for external preview.

James Sudik March 31st, 2004 10:08 AM

Ed, are you saying that the monitor connected to the deck can also be configured to show the preview windom from Vegas, just as a second PC monitor is used for? I don't want to waste the clams on a second computer monitor if the NTSC monitor can be used for that. If what I am thinking is correct, it seems that the ideal set-up would be a large flat panel monitor to have the Vegas app control panel/timeline on, and next to that a decent NTSC monitor showing the real time preview as you edit. Am I on the right track?

Vince Debart March 31st, 2004 10:41 AM

I hope so

Vince

Glen Elliott March 31st, 2004 11:24 AM

Most definitly. Well if you don't do any serious graphic editing that is. LCDs are great but still fall short on color interpretation for graphics. However for video editing they are great- beings your not using your computer screen as a color reference anyway.

Vegas supplies a realtime timeline preview via IEEE, so if you connect your IEEE to your deck then your deck to the NTSC monitor that is perfect. You wouldn't want to buy an additional computer monitor for monitoring your colors- the only reason for a second "computer" monitor is for added screen real-estate. Thus the reason I feel a wide-screen LCD would be most effective for a timeline based app like Vegas or Soundforge.

*edit: You weren't talking about using the built in LCD on your deck to monitor colors were you?!*

Edward Troxel March 31st, 2004 11:37 AM

The deck should let you use the External Monitor function in Vegas to show your preview on either a TV or some other monitor connected to your deck. It will NOT extend the standard computer screen real-estate.

Vince Debart March 31st, 2004 12:27 PM

thanks Glen and Edward

Vince

James Sudik March 31st, 2004 12:48 PM

Gotcha. That sounds like what I will do then! Dell is offering a 17 inch widescreen LCD monitor/TV at a decent price, so I am looking at something like that for the main PC monitor, then I will run the Vegas real time preview to a NTSC monitor via IEEE. This will allow for proper color display and make me aware if adjustments are needed, as well as size and placement of text graphics and such. To this point I have been using ScreenBlast, and the tiny real time preview window has been a common source of frustration, and has led to more "do-over" touch-ups because of color and graphic size/placement looking so much different once I watched them on a standard TV. Thanks a lot fellas.