DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Which template should I use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/238447-template-should-i-use.html)

Norris Combs July 4th, 2009 11:16 AM

Which template should I use?

I'm editing some footage from an Canon HV10. It's shot in 16 x 9.
The 2 templates in question are: DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream, or DVD Architect NTSC video stream. I think I should use Widescreen, but not sure if 16 x 9 is considered "wide". I just don't want the picture in the final video to appear stretched, that gives me a headache watching it.

Thanks,

Jason Robinson July 4th, 2009 10:48 PM

16x9 is widescreen, so use the widescreen preset. Also remember that you will need to make sure hte project properties are set to widescreen as well.

Richard Hunter July 4th, 2009 10:57 PM

Hi Norris. Normally I would use an HDV project preset and do my editing in high resolution. Then I render to whatever size I need for delivery, for example 1280x720 for Vimeo, or 720x480 (widescreen) for NTSC DVD.

Richard

Jeff Harper July 5th, 2009 04:59 AM

Norris, Richard's post about HDV only applies if you shot in HD, of course.

As you know, your camera shoots in both HDV and DVD. If your project was shot in SD then just follow jason's guidance.

I took if from your post you shot in SD since you never mentioned HDV.

Michael Hutson July 5th, 2009 06:43 AM

Norris here's some rules of thumb:

Project settings should match your raw footage. You can do this automatically by going to preview window/project properties and click on the icon that looks like a folder(far right...then click on one of the files and it will match it.

Your specific question that you do not want the footage "stretched" when you render. You can render out anyway you want, just ensure the "do not letter box" is NOT checked. You should be good. Hope this helps

Norris Combs July 5th, 2009 10:42 AM

Thanks guys,

My footage is in HDV, not SD. When I imported into Vegas, I did indeed chose the HDV preset for the project. I just want to make sure that I'm now choosing the correct template for rendering out to a regular 4.7 blank DVD, playable on any (or most?) set top DVD player. I'll use the Widescreen template then.

Jeff Harper July 5th, 2009 10:55 AM

If I'm not mistaken Norris you will get slight black bars on the side when you render out, because you are starting out with different resolution.

It is not too bothersome for you it will be fine.

To eliminate the black bars change your project settings to regular 16:9 and render out to the same.

You will experience a very slight loss in resolution, I believe, but nothing significant.

You might even try it both ways and report to us how it works out for you.

Norris Combs July 5th, 2009 11:25 AM

I do see small black bars on top and at the bottom of the TV screen. Doesn't bother me at all.

Jeff Harper July 5th, 2009 11:34 AM

I don't know why I thought they would be on the side....oh well.

I just rendered a section of my hd project in 16:9 and the bars on the side...strange that our bars are different...doesn't seem to make sense.

edit: Actually, during playback there are bars on the top and the sides.