DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas9 bug with generated media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/238489-vegas9-bug-generated-media.html)

Reg Gothard July 5th, 2009 08:41 PM

Vegas9 bug with generated media

Have surfed for previous reports of this but can't find anything. Am posting here to
a) vent
b) alert other V9 users.
It's easier to describe how to reproduce the problem than to come up with a one-sentence summary that describes it elegantly. But I'll try...
Generated media content (text events text) from one project is erroneously retained in a subsequent project that you open in the same instance of Vegas, making the correct text unavailable until and unless you close Vegas without saving that subsequent project and open the project in a fresh instance of Vegas. (Yep - that wasn't elegant)

So here's how to reproduce - much more enlightening. (this is a minimalist distillation of a real-life sequence of editing steps).

> Start Vegas 9
> Put a text event on the timeline.
> Edit its text so you'll recognize it. (I entered "Text1").
> Put a second text event on the timeline.
> Edit its text so you'll recognize it. (I entered "Text1 unique")
> Save the project (I called it "File1.veg")
> Save the project as another name (I called it "File2.veg")
> Display the properties for the second text event.
> Change the active take name from "Sony Text 2" to something else (I changed it to "Unique Sony Text 2")
> Edit the text in both events on the timeline so they're different (I changed "Text1" to "Text2" and "Text1 Unique" to "Text2 Unique")
> Save the project (remember we're currently working on "File2.veg")
> Open the first project (in my case, "File1.veg")
> Observe the following:
> First text event's text still has text (in may case "Text2") from the other project.
> Second text event's text still has text (in my case "Text2 Unique") from the other project, although the "Active take" name is correct for the project.
IF - repeat - IF - I now save the project, the text events for the first project will be saved with the text from the second project's events.
If, instead of saving the project at this stage, I close Vegas, restart it, and open the first project ("FIle1.veg"), the text events contain the correct text.

I've done the same test several times in V9, and also ran it in Vegas 8 a couple of times. This behaviour does not occur in V8 - each project retains its own discrete text contents.

Like many people, I frequently use "Save as" to create multiple similar projects - on this occasion, I saved as, made my changes and saved them, then re-opened the original version, tweaked it and saved it, all in the same Vegas instance. I lost the contents of 33 two-line lower-thirds today because of this "quirk".
--------
Hope this helps someone should they encounter similar symptoms.

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2009 06:30 AM

I have confirmed this also happens on my system. I did note that doing a file - close and then opening the first project will let it open the first one properly instead of needing to actually exit and restart Vegas.