Nesting and building large projects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Nesting and building large projects

Ok, I have a question for those of you who do nested projects. Because nearly all of my work is long form single recording, I've really not had a need to nest. I just finished a big project and I think nesting would have made my life MUCH easier, so let me lay out a scenario and ask a question.

Let's assume I am making a movie with 30 scenes. I create one .veg per scene. I create 3 .veg files for Act1 (scene 1 - 9), Act2 (scene 10-19), and Act3 (scene 20-30). And then I create a master .veg file comprised of just the 3 acts.

My question is this:

If I make a change to say, scene 3, scene 15, and scene 22, and I then open up my master .veg file, will those changes automatically flow up, or do I need to open each of the "act" .veg files to register those changes?
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Perrone, I was pretty sure they would but I ran a quick test to be sure and yes, they will automatically update the next time you open your master veg file.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike,

That will save me EONS of time the next time I build a large multi-scene project. Actually, it will save me a lot of disk space too as I prevent the intermediate render files also. And generational loss.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You're welcome Perrone.
I started using nested vegs on some of my projects a few years ago and it made my life SO much easier :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I got SLAUGHTERED on my most recent project (doing final renders now) because of last minute changes in the project. Typos that weren't caught in the proof, color changes, etc. Things that would have been trivial in a nested project, but require tedious re-work, and rendering in non-nested projects.

This is the last time I'll do a project this way.
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Perrone,

I do every big project nested these days for the reasons you mentioned.

I would not render work until you are actually wrapping things. I made that mistake in my last project and it caused me unending greif (I was mixing m2t files and cineform avi files.) Just a thought about an easy mistake that caused me greif that is easy to avoid.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...