Vegas 9 drama continues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 9 drama continues

Ok, I thought I had seen a reference to this in another post...but I'll post it anyway; this is too good (or bad) to not post.

Project #1, done in Vegas 8. I accidentally open it in Vegas 9.

At the end of the movie on the timeline the text was wrong.

It actually had the text that was at the end of a completely different project. How in the blazes this could happen I cannot even begin to guess. Actually, I don't want to know.

I realized I had seen this reported and closed Vegas 9, reopened in 8 and all is well. Luckily I did not save project in 9 or I couldn't have reopened it in 8 ever again.

I just finished the Vegas 9 project I had been working on. I pray the customer is happy because the day that I have to use Vegas 9 again will be an unhappy day.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 8th, 2009 at 07:13 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, for me it is getting to be a mix of versions.

I tried to render an AVCHD file with '8' and it crashed as in stopping about 90% or whatever it was and would not continue. No CPU usage or anything.

I opened the project with '9' and it worked fine.

I later did a test capture with '9' and it crashed Windows Explorer when I closed it. No problem with '8'.

So, depending on what I want to do, I will use '8' for some projects and '9' for others.

Hopefully '9A' will solve some of these issues and I can finally settle on just it and not have to do all of this strange stuff.

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't suppose it's possible in v9 to 'Save As' v8?

I know it's a long shot but I have a guy who is about to start working for me as an editor and he has v9 (which I am not touching until at least 9.0a).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't think so Ian, but I could be wrong.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
I don't suppose it's possible in v9 to 'Save As' v8?
No, that is not possible.

I do know that 9.0a will be coming. I just can't say exactly when (honestly, I don't know exactly when).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

No Jeff, you're not wrong.
Vegas has never been backward compatible, only forward.
Having said that, I've had some success with saving a newer version out as an EDL file and then opening it in an older version.
As I recall, things like Generated Media didn't copy over to the older version but most other things did.
You also have to make sure that you don't use any plugins or other FX that the other user doesn't have as Vegas will not warn you, it just simply won't work.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thought not. I'm waiting to hear if he has a version of 8 that he can use!

Regarding third party filters, I'm pretty sure that when I have opened up a project on my laptop (which doesn't have all the plugins that the main pc has) I have received a warning saying that the plugin could not be found (or words to that effect). In fact I am almost certain of that - or am I mistaken and thinking of another app?
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #8

You are correct. If you open a VEG file that included effects you don't have, it will pop up a warning that an effect is missing. You won't know WHAT effect (it just pops up the long unique ID string) - but you will know it's missing.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for clearing that up, Edward.

I thought for a moment that I was confusing it with Cakewalk Sonar (which I use for audio). In Sonar you get the plugin ID'd though. You'd think that the plugin ID would be contained in the .veg so that Vegas could specify which one was missing. Maybe it is and Sony just hasn't used it.

Good news is that my new guy still has v8 so we can exchange to our hearts content!

ps, Mike - sorry to call you out on that one - just wanted to get rid of any confusion as at first I read your post as suggesting Vegas will not work under those circumstances, which I'm sure you weren't intending to say!
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

No problem Ian. I'm always willing to be corrected about Vegas issues that I mess up on.
I didn't mean to imply that Vegas wouldn't work, only the affected clip.
I'm positive though that I spoke to someone recently who experienced exactly what I'm talking about.
Since I can't remember the details, I'll write it off to "sometimers disease".
You know, "some times I remember and some times I don't".

:-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Yeah, I get that too . . . frequently!
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #12

Ian, it will display a list of IDs for the effects that are missing. Unfortunately, there is no way to associate that back to figure exactly WHAT effect that was short of going back to the original machine and searching through the registry.
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Sorry Edward, my poor wording. By 'ID' I meant 'name', and my point was that I wondered if the 'name' of the filter was stored in the .veg. Clearly not. Thanks for the explanation.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #14
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Be careful with Vegas Pro 8 veg files in Vegas Pro 9...

I had this couple minute long project made of just a ton of HDV clips cut together. It was exactly how I wanted it in Vegas Pro 8. I opened it in Vegas Pro 9 expecting to play the same project. Well... It was the same project, but my HDV clips were offset by two frames. I could literally compare the same project in 8 and 9 and see two frames of difference by looking at the start or end of a clip. And since that two frames difference sometimes was a different scene, I really noticed it. Oh, and even freakier, the media time code matched in both versions, even though they were NOT the same frames.

It's with SCS engineering now.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I can only surmise the code in Vegas 9 was poorly written. Mind you I wouldn't know a line of code if I saw it.

But I know if a webpage's HTML is written poorly that it could work fine in some cases and in other cases the page might display in an unintended manner.

There must be a right way and wrong way to right code, and I'm wondering if this is the issue.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...