DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What procedure do I use Vegas to match footage from 2 cameras? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/238684-what-procedure-do-i-use-vegas-match-footage-2-cameras.html)

Paul Cascio July 8th, 2009 01:27 PM

What procedure do I use Vegas to match footage from 2 cameras?

I've never done much with color correction, but will need to use footage from two different cameras for future projects. I intend to get footage of a color chart and gray scale chart during each shoot.

How do I create a match in Vegas? What steps would I take, and at what point in your edit workflow would you do this? I assume it's right after capture.

Perrone Ford July 8th, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1168921)
I've never done much with color correction, but will need to use footage from two different cameras for future projects. I intend to get footage of a color chart and gray scale chart during each shoot.

How do I create a match in Vegas? What steps would I take, and at what point in your edit workflow would you do this? I assume it's right after capture.

I would shoot a cam-align chart (and have). However, I don't see the need to do it at right after capture. I'd do it right before I begin grading the work. If you do it right at the start, do you intend to re-render one or both files?

Don Bloom July 8th, 2009 03:43 PM

I'm similar to Perrone in some ways. I capture, cut, correct then work the audio sweetening then render to whatever format I need at that time.

Find the shot you want to match the others to, then pull a snapshot of that to the clipboard. Split the preview screen move the cursor to the clip to be corrected and have fun with the color corrector, secondary CC, color curves and levels if need be.

You might want to check Edward Troxels newletters for more precise information but keep in mind you can apply the corrections to the event, the track OR the clips in the explorer. All work fine just a matter of what works easier for that job and you.
HTHs

Paul Cascio July 8th, 2009 04:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. Once I've got shots of the charts, what's the workflow for making corrections. Is it: 1. Brightness contrast; 2. Saturation ; 3. Hue in that order? Or is there another tool/filter I should use?

Perrone Ford July 8th, 2009 04:26 PM

Match the exposure first. So go to grayscale, and match up the waverform. Then bring up the vectorscope and match your colors.

Have you ever shot a chart before and worked with the vectorscope? If not, it's somewhat self-explanatory once you have the 3-way color corrector open.

Don Bloom July 8th, 2009 05:46 PM

Let me add to the great advice Perrone gave you. Don't use the brightness/contrast FX in Vegas (or any NLE for that matter). It will give and overall adjustment that really isn't too precise. Use the gamma in the 3 way CC if need be OR better, use the levels FX that way you can adjust in and out levels and gamma. The 3 way CC though will you you a saturation and gain adjustment. All of these things work hand in hand to do the job. Don't worry about screwing something up. The beauty of this is you can UNDO pretty much anything you do. Thank goodness for Control Z ;-)

Paul Cascio July 8th, 2009 05:48 PM

No Perrone, I've never used the vectorscope, but I did read some of your posts about color correction. Sounds like you know your stuff. Color correction is the most intimidating part of editing IMO.

I'm okay using brightness and contrast to match exposure (learned from one of your posts), but I didn't know it was Secondary Color Correction that I wanted? What's the difference between Secondary and "Primary"?

I know there's some good tutorials online, which I'll read. I also ordered a book today on CC.

Also, do I treat saturation as a seperate step, apart from, and before, matching hue?

Thanks for the help.

Mike Kujbida July 8th, 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1169059)
I also ordered a book today on CC.

I can highly recommend the Color Correction with Sony Vegas DVD from VASST.
Glenn Chan and Douglas Spotted Eagle do an excellent job covering this topic.

Quote:

Also, do I treat saturation as a seperate step, apart from, and before, matching hue?
Hue is the actual colour while saturation is the richness/intensity (not to be confused with the luminance level) of that colour.
You may need to go back and forth a few times to get things exactly the way you want.

BTW, I used to be a tech in a TV studio and, as difficult as it is to believe this, colour cameras were set up using only a gray scale chart a waveform and a vector monitor.

Perrone Ford July 8th, 2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1169059)
No Perrone, I've never used the vectorscope, but I did read some of your posts about color correction. Sounds like you know your stuff. Color correction is the most intimidating part of editing IMO.

Bah, I know diddley compared to some of these guys. I'm learning. But yea 3-way color corrector is the way to go.

Secondary color correction is used for "spot colors". Basically if you want to do things like make the grass greener, or the sky bluer, or change someone's eye color, etc. It's a fine brush to paint with.

Jason Robinson July 9th, 2009 08:06 PM

don't forget taht you can copy an image to the Vegas clipboard and then compare the current clip to the clipboard and do a 1/2 and 1/2 on the preview screen. that allows you to see both clips side by side for color comparisons. That is the best way to check your two clips from two cams.

Perrone Ford July 9th, 2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1169598)
don't forget taht you can copy an image to the Vegas clipboard and then compare the current clip to the clipboard and do a 1/2 and 1/2 on the preview screen.

That is the best way to check your two clips from two cams.

I think you'll get some disagreement on that... Particularly from those who shoot alignment charts.

Jason Robinson July 9th, 2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1169600)
I think you'll get some disagreement on that... Particularly from those who shoot alignment charts.

Heh, ok that is true. Let me then call it a quick way to compare footage. :-)