DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rendering and re-rendering losslessly (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/238771-rendering-re-rendering-losslessly.html)

Martin Bannet July 9th, 2009 11:10 PM

Rendering and re-rendering losslessly

Hey there. Noob 1.0 here.

Just enjoying my new camcorder (HDR-FX1000) and recorded a sunrise in real time (no time-lapse settings). Happy with the quality, but am curious about how to speed up the video...I mean REALLY speed it up to show the sun flying off the horizon.

I know the tricks to get Sony Vegas to speed things up (Velocity 300% + playback rate to 4x) but that doesn't cut it. After rendering it once, I'm guessing I would have to re-render it again (with further speed increases) and possibly again to get the desired 'time-lapse' effect.

How do I safely (losslessly, in other words) render my video (currently captured and stored as m2t files)?

All I got re the original file info re my footage is:
1440x1080x12, (what's the 12 reference?)
29.970fps interlaced, MPEG-2, Audio 48,000hz, MPEG Layer 2

Any help in this matter would be great. Thanks so much!

VEGAS 8 Pro user.

Martin

Edward Troxel July 10th, 2009 06:45 AM

Here's a couple ways:

1. drop that clip onto the timeline and speed it up 12x. Now save that as a VEG file and drag that VEG file to a new timeline and speed THAT up 12x (now you're at 144x).

2. Take a snapshot every X frames (i.e. 1 image every 3 seconds would give you a 90x at 30fps). If you name them properly when saving (which there are scripts that can easily save and properly name at intervals) - you can then import them as an image sequence.

Martin Bannet July 10th, 2009 08:06 AM

Hey Thanks!

Will try that. Didn't know you could actually drag a VEG file? Not the rendered video but the actual VEG file? Wild.

Will let you know what works out. Thanks so much!

Martin

Martin Bannet July 10th, 2009 06:32 PM

Lead the way to a script please?

Hi again (Mr. Troxel).

The import .veg became the biggest CPU/Ram hog I've ever seen on my computer. An 8-core PC might even struggle!

I'm into trying the script that you suggested. Can you (or anyone) link me to a script that will take snapshots of my video segment ever so many seconds and then - as you suggested - name them aright and then be ready for an import (like a series of photos)
run, thereby producing my time-lapse effect? That would be great!

I see the www.jetdv.com :: Index site has a few, but I wouldn't know what it would be called.

Thanks again!

Martin

Jason Robinson July 10th, 2009 08:46 PM

one of the default render options should be a still image sequence. No special script needed. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Perrone Ford July 10th, 2009 08:48 PM

Well,

You could do this...

1. Create a folder to hold the rendered files.

2. Using the Export image sequence script, export your video to the folder.

3. Using the import image sequence scrpt, import from the same folder, but set it to increment every 10 or 20 images. That should create a new movie in a timelapse fashion.

-P

Edward Troxel July 11th, 2009 07:29 AM

Martin, a couple of "pay" scripts that will do this is Excalibur (which you found on my site) and Ultimate S. However, Vegas has one built-in! With Vegas 4 through 8, you would go to Tools - Scripting - Render Image Sequence. While Vegas Pro 9 has a new File - Render As - Image Sequence option, I don't see a way of telling it to do one every x frames.

Perrone Ford July 11th, 2009 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1170371)
I don't see a way of telling it to do one every x frames.

Edward,

It's the last option there called "Step Time". It allows you to select how often you want the video sampled in order to create the image sequence. The last (right-most) pair is frames, and the next pair is seconds. VERY useful for doing time lapse after the fact.

I was mistaken in thinking you could do it on import. It must be done on export.

Edward Troxel July 11th, 2009 12:11 PM

You're talking about the script version found in Vegas 4 through 8. I knew it had that setting. I'm talking about the new File - Render As option in Vegas Pro 9 - there doesn't seem to be any custom settings so you can vary things like the "step time".

Martin Bannet July 11th, 2009 12:12 PM

You guys are AWESOME!

Thanks so much! This is gonna be fun trying!

Thank you again. Look forward to publishing (on VIMEO) my results, when I got 'em.

God Bless,

Martin Bannet

Perrone Ford July 11th, 2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1170473)
You're talking about the script version found in Vegas 4 through 8. I knew it had that setting. I'm talking about the new File - Render As option in Vegas Pro 9 - there doesn't seem to be any custom settings so you can vary things like the "step time".

Oh ok. I just installed v9 yesterday at the office. Haven't played with it yet... I was so excited about finally having DPX (and EXR) that I hadn't looked at how they implemented it!