Frameserver 2.6 released with VP9 support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Frameserver 2.6 released with VP9 support

Satish just announced this on the Sony Vegas forum and, for all of you who have been waiting patiently, it's here at last :-)

Debugmode Frameserver is now available with VP9 support and you can download it for free at Debugmode FrameServer Homepage

Along with VP9 support, this version has a couple of bug fixes for earlier versions so is a recommended download.

This version also adds an update check feature that checks once in a while if any new version of the frameserver is available (no automatic download, just checks and informs you if an update is available). This will help in distributing the message about future bug fixes and new releases faster. If your editing machine is not connected to the internet this will stay disabled, so no worries.

Thanks to those who helped with beta testing.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up, and a MILLION thanks to Satish for making this happen! I'm just updating to 9.0a now, can't wait to try it out with Frameserver. I had actually gone back to using v8 for most of my projects solely for the frameserving ability, so needless to say this makes me happy.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Could someone explain what this software does? Thanks.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

A frameserver allows you to pass your Vegas project on to another application without first having to render it out to an actual clip first.

An example use for this is to send projects to TMPGEnc for MPEG-2 encoding. This is the main thing I use it for.

To use it, you simply "render" your project to the frameserver. What happens when you do this is that in seconds, you have a signpost file. This is a fake AVI with the name of your veg.avi, just like you had rendered to an actual .avi.

You leave Vegas and the frameserver running, then launch your AVI reading application and load the signpost AVI as if it was a real AVI. To the other application it looks like, and seeks like, a real AVI.

This is a very powerful capability to have, and I also thank Satish for updating it for VP9. I had also gone back to VP8 to not lose this capability till now.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Eugene, I occasionally render .avi files with Vegas to use with Adobe Flash Encoder for making .flv files. Would there be any advantage to using it this way? Could it be used in this way?

If Adobe Flash Encoder could use the signpost file I could see a benefit of saving time and HD space.

Your thoughts?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM   #6

Beyond the advantages of saving time and hard drive space, there's also the issue of saving quality. Unless you are rendering out to uncompressed, rendering out to any type of lossy codec, like DV, will result in a small quality loss any time you do it.

I haven't used the frameserver with anything but TMPGEnc, but I know others use it with other applications. I encourage you to try it, the frameserver is free, so you have nothing to lose. :)

Be sure to read the instructions on the website, some programs don't have a problem with the video but may have a problem with the frameserved audio. If you hit an application like that, there is an option on the frameserver where it renders your audio out to a wav to fix that problem automatically.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:01 AM   #7
Trustee

Eugene, thanks for that very clear and concise explanation. Am I right that this would be a great tool for using After Effects with Vegas?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Total time to burn a dvd

It takes 40 min to burn 1 min of a HD Vegas 9 project on the time line to blu ray when using Frameserver and DVD architect( rendering the Vegas time line with frameserver then using DVD architect). Isn't it taking too long. Thanks, Bill
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William LiPera View Post
It takes 40 min to burn 1 min of a HD Vegas 9 project on the time line to blu ray when using Frameserver and DVD architect( rendering the Vegas time line with frameserver then using DVD architect). Isn't it taking too long. Thanks, Bill
why are you frameserving to Architect Bill?

Yes Paul excellent for AE.

Thank you Satish. I would also like to make a financial contribution to you for this tool.
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

What is the easiest way to get a Vegas project into sony's DVD architect and then burn a blu ray? I've rendered an AVI then taken that AVI into Architect but that consumes a great deal of memory. Frameserver does not consume harddrive space but takes a long time to burn a blu ray. Thanks, Bill
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM   #11

For going from Vegas to Architect for Blu-ray, I would recommend encoding your MPEG-2 and AC-3 in Vegas, and then just drop that into Architect.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I know nothing about the program, but I agree that using Frameserver for burning DVDs doesn't sound right. I wouldn't do it. No disrepect intended, but it doesn't make sense.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Using frameserver, Vegas and dvd architect(all running at the same time) burns a flawless, super sharp blu ray. Without the need to render the Vegas timeline to anything( except using framestore). Just takes a long time. 40 min for every min on the vegas timeline. Bill
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Trustee

William, would you please explain the workflow for using this method? Or point me to printed instructions.

Also, what is the benefit - is it that Vegas Mpeg2/Mpeg4 encoding is not as good?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Eugene, I occasionally render .avi files with Vegas to use with Adobe Flash Encoder for making .flv files. Would there be any advantage to using it this way? Could it be used in this way?

If Adobe Flash Encoder could use the signpost file I could see a benefit of saving time and HD space.

Your thoughts?
I do this all the time. It is usually my preferred method to get to flash from vegas. Saves you an entire intermediate render, so it saves both time and quality. Now, if you are rendering to multiple formats, there could be some benefit to rendering a master, then encoding to multiple formats from there. But for straight to flash, hell yeah, frame serve for sure!
Bill Binder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...