DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   File sizes doubled now for some reason? Sony 9.0, WMV files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/239393-file-sizes-doubled-now-some-reason-sony-9-0-wmv-files.html)

Jesse James July 20th, 2009 09:11 PM

File sizes doubled now for some reason? Sony 9.0, WMV files

Canon GL-2 cam
SOny Vegas 9.0

I usually crank out 10 minute videos for You Tube uploading in 720x480 and then render to WMV files. "Hi quailty Internet" is checked on starting the project. These files have been around 160 megs before but now they are rendering at 340 megs, almost double. I checked all my settings and can't see anything different. I haven't changed anything software wise or hardwise that I know of. Just plugged in the latest DV tape to edit and WTH?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Seth Bloombaum July 21st, 2009 10:38 AM

Going at it from the other direction...
Compare the actual bitrates of your old and new WMVs.

Pull them into windows media player, select File | Properties. On the first tab, the second item down is "Bitrate". Compare these numbers between your old and new files.

It will probably say something like "800Kbps" or, "1.2Mbps", which are kilobits per second or megabits per second, respectivly.

Now, if these numbers are significantly different, that means that either you've changed rendering templates, or the settings of your template have changed.

Back in Vegas, you'd access these settings through the "custom" button on the File | Render As window.

Click the last tab on the right, where you can plug in a number like "800 K", or "1.2 M" (if that's what you want - this should be the same number as WMplayer showed as the bitrate for your older wmv renders that you want to match.)

Clear as mud?

Jesse James July 21st, 2009 11:53 PM

Thanks Seth,

After poking around where you pointed me it appears my templates got changed somehow. Thank you for the help.

Ben Longden July 22nd, 2009 05:02 AM

When I upgraded to V9, a wmv preset I had at 750kbps ended up being 1.4Gbps....

Ben

Perrone Ford July 22nd, 2009 05:27 AM

v9 does not read v8 custom templates. This has been tested and confirmed.

Mike Kujbida July 22nd, 2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1174881)
v9 does not read v8 custom templates. This has been tested and confirmed.

Perrone, some (less than half) of my custom render templates made it from V8 to V9 and that's what's so frustrating about the whole thing.
If some of them can make it, why not all of them :-(

Perrone Ford July 22nd, 2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1174927)
Perrone, some (less than half) of my custom render templates made it from V8 to V9 and that's what's so frustrating about the whole thing.
If some of them can make it, why not all of them :-(

Wow! NONE of mine made it.

Mike Kujbida July 22nd, 2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1174996)
Wow! NONE of mine made it.

That's why I submitted a bug report to Sony on this issue.
I wasn't impressed with their response (How Do I: Recreate your custom presets on Video FX and transitions) as it wasn't applicalbe to this situation so I left it alone.
A friend of mine with the exact same issues has been corresponding with them though and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will get resolved some day soon.

Jesse James July 23rd, 2009 12:47 AM

I' m not sure what nuked my custom YouTube template I had. No upgrades, nothing new. It just up and disappeared like the hair on my head.