Audio Help on Air conditioner background noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 21st, 2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Help on Air conditioner background noise

Guys,

I have two short .wav audio clips that have noise from an air conditioner running in the background. I've tried to clean up with Vegas using a band-notch filter, but it doesn't really get rid of all the noise and it's changing the voices more than I'd like.

The A/C noise is centered around 3,000 Hz and is very cyclic.

Anybody have a more sophisticated method for getting rid of the A/C noise without altering the surrounding audio too much?
Attached Files
File Type: wav 00-50-01.wav (1.45 MB, 312 views)
File Type: wav 01-05-20.wav (856.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: wav 00-50-01 thru Vegas.wav (1.45 MB, 146 views)
File Type: wav 01-05-20 thru Vegas.wav (856.5 KB, 120 views)
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I only listened to the first clip but for what it is worth it is not bad, IMO.

It is obviously an AC making the noise, and I would encourage that you not spend too much time on it.

On the other hand if there is a way to remove it I'd like to know what it is also.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'll see if I can clean it for you when I get to the office.
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just listened to the recording.

Wow, yes the noise can be filtered out, and I did it successfully, there is NO WAY it can be done cleanly without affecting the voice. It's similar in frequency and amplitude to the desired signal.

Gonna have to do a much better job next time of getting a clean recording.
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

IzotopeRX

I used IzotopeRX on the first clip. It did a good job of getting rid of the hiss and air noise but not the hum. I would be happy to process them and if you are interested.
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Major Player

IzotopeRX is the best I have found for restoration at the moment.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Tim,

I would appreciate you running them through Izo if you have a moment. I'm not familiar with the program, but would like to see what it can do versus what I have.

Thanks so much for your willingness to help!
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Multi-Band Compressor?

Hey Roger,

I shoot live music in a cafe setting, where I am constantly faced with background appliance noises (icemaker, tea machines, cash register, etc.) I am not familiar with Vegas (I use Premiere Pro), but, if Vegas has a multiband compressor, or a high-pass filter that can be adjusted, OR a "denoiser" that can be tweaked...I have used all of these in the past to reduce appliance noise.
James Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

First file processed

Here is the first file processed. I also fixed some of the clipping issues. Let me know if this works for you.
Attached Files
File Type: wav 00-50-01-Processed.wav (1.45 MB, 221 views)
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Miller View Post
Here is the first file processed. I also fixed some of the clipping issues. Let me know if this works for you.
Wow! That's excellent!
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Tim,

Thank you so much for the great work. The clip sounds really good, I'll have to look into this Izo program. Sent you a PM. You win the superhero award for the week!
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Second file

Attached is the second file.

This is pretty straight forward with IzotopeRX. You find a little stretch of audio where no dialog is present - just noise. You "train" IRX to recognize the noise pattern by highlighting the "just noise" segment and clicking the "Train" button. Once IRX knows the noise pattern you simply highlight the section of audio you want to clean and click "Apply."

It's a truly amazing app and it has saved my butt more times than I care to admit.
Attached Files
File Type: wav 01-05-20-Processed.wav (856.5 KB, 137 views)
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Miller View Post
Attached is the second file.

This is pretty straight forward with IzotopeRX. You find a little stretch of audio where no dialog is present - just noise. You "train" IRX to recognize the noise pattern by highlighting the "just noise" segment and clicking the "Train" button. Once IRX knows the noise pattern you simply highlight the section of audio you want to clean and click "Apply."

It's a truly amazing app and it has saved my butt more times than I care to admit.
I use a similar feature in another application, but it wasn't nearly as effective as this tool. But the price is rather steep for yours. If I had a TRULY difficult scenario, it would probably be worth it, but generally I only need to remove hiss, and barely audible noise. So my solution tends to work fine for my needs.
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I use a similar feature in another application, but it wasn't nearly as effective as this tool. But the price is rather steep for yours. If I had a TRULY difficult scenario, it would probably be worth it, but generally I only need to remove hiss, and barely audible noise. So my solution tends to work fine for my needs.
The price is a little steep but it is well worth it to me. I do a lot of work in a local hospital and they don't have the ability to control the air vents in most rooms. I've had footage where it sounded like I was next to a train!
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Audacity has a very similar filter process in it. Audacity is an open source free sound editing program. Check it out here:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

I did the attached with noise removal. Needs other processing, but it show promise of the program.
Attached Files
File Type: wav 00-50-01Audacity.wav (1.45 MB, 170 views)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...