DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Capturing HD Video using XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/239530-capturing-hd-video-using-xha1.html)

Ben Mahoney July 22nd, 2009 06:14 PM

Capturing HD Video using XHA1

Hi all,

So I'm doing my first HD edit through Vegas. I have ran into some issues:

-Vegas can not find my XHA1 when I open the capture screen and pick HD. I have replaced used different chords, different computers, but I just can't get it to find it. Any suggestions?

-I have CS2, which has premiere and that can find the camera. I uploaded the footage but I can't tell if it's HD. It's one big file and in .AVI form. I had heard that HD is uploaded in M2T form so not sure if I did it correctly. Any suggestions?

-Last, when I upload in premiere there is no scene detection so it's one big clip. Does anyone know of a program that can find the scene breaks and make the one clip into separate scene files.

Sorry if these are really dumb questions and thanks in advance for any help!

Seth Bloombaum July 23rd, 2009 09:06 AM

If Premiere is capturing as an avi, that would seem to indicate that it is seeing your camera as a standard def device. If your camera is set to downconvert and output SD instead of HD, that would also explain why Vegas HD cap doesn't see it.

This is a strong possibility - you can confirm by checking if Vegas SD capture sees your camera, or just go into your camera menues to confirm whether it's downconverting.

If all this is so, then the solution would be to set the camera to output HD over firewire.

Laurence Scott July 24th, 2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Mahoney (Post 1175218)
Hi all,

So I'm doing my first HD edit through Vegas. I have ran into some issues:

-Vegas can not find my XHA1 when I open the capture screen and pick HD. I have replaced used different chords, different computers, but I just can't get it to find it. Any suggestions?

-I have CS2, which has premiere and that can find the camera. I uploaded the footage but I can't tell if it's HD. It's one big file and in .AVI form. I had heard that HD is uploaded in M2T form so not sure if I did it correctly. Any suggestions?

-Last, when I upload in premiere there is no scene detection so it's one big clip. Does anyone know of a program that can find the scene breaks and make the one clip into separate scene files.

Sorry if these are really dumb questions and thanks in advance for any help!

Is the camera new or is this your first time using it? I ask because I think you have to change the resolution [SD/HD] on the camera when you first get it because I think it comes from the factory in SD. It's been about 1 year since I purchased my XH A1 and I think I had to change the camera to HD.
I've been capturing HD footage with Sony Vegas Pro without a hitch.

I'm thinking Seth is spot on with your issue.