DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Interlacing issues after render (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/239817-interlacing-issues-after-render.html)

Vince Baker July 27th, 2009 07:21 AM

Interlacing issues after render

HI all,

I have an issue that I am sure someone else must have encountered. I have done a search through the forums and hope someone has some input.

I film using FX1-E cams 1080i 50fps and editing using Vegas 8.

I use Cineform to take the m2t files and convert them straight to .avi files using the default config.

Then, I edit in HD using the converted .avi files. If i then render as SD 720x576 PAL widescreen mpeg2 I get really really bad interlacing on any simple movements.

I never had this issue when editing in SD and then rendering using same settings.

I have played around with setting the output of the render to progressive but it is still not right.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 08:02 AM

I would suggest you try using the cineform files as intermediates (for editing only) and then replace the files with the original m2t files for rendering.

Another way of doing this would be to use another program to convert your files to intermeditates and ditching Cineform.

You might, in the future try downloading the trial version of Vasst "Gearshift" (fully functional BTW) and using that program to do everything for you.

I use Gearshift as it automates the process. It makes your proxies for you and changes them out with the original clips, back and forth anytime with a simple click of the mouse.

Ian Stark July 27th, 2009 11:56 PM

Vince, have you changed any of your clips by way of zooming or cropping using the pan/crop tool or track motion tool, or have you changed their aspect ratio? If so, I think you need to make sure that Maintain Aspect Ratio is set in the media properties.

Jeff Harper July 28th, 2009 12:09 AM

Vince, Ian is right - again. His suggestion of checking your aspect ratios is the simplest, best thing to do first.

Leonid Yegoshin July 28th, 2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Baker (Post 1177233)
HI all,

If i then render as SD 720x576 PAL widescreen mpeg2 I get really really bad interlacing on any simple movements.

Vince, check the field sequence - I sometime had a wrong sequence of fields in Vegas8 and I had the similar situation. It usually happen after playing with project properties.

BTW, check that you set "interpolation" method of deinterlacing in project properties.

Dror Levi July 29th, 2009 08:20 PM

Hi Vince,

I had the same problem and it took me some time to figure it out.
It was even worse when i did slow motion.
All I had to do is to remove the check mark of "Adjust source media............." in the properties window.
I hope it will solve your problem.

Jeff Harper July 29th, 2009 08:54 PM

Dror, what is this propertis window you speak of?

Dror Levi July 29th, 2009 09:05 PM

Alt + enter

John Cline July 29th, 2009 10:55 PM

Vince,

Under the Project's Properties, make absolutely sure that you have a "Deinterlace Method" selected. It doesn't matter whether it's "Interpolate" or "Blend" as long as you have one or the other selected. Personally, I just leave mine set to "Interpolate."

Bryan Cantwell July 29th, 2009 11:45 PM

definitely check your render as settings, you might need to switch the field order option. if i were you i'd set a loop on a small section of your sequence and test a few different settings until you get it right, then do the whole thing.

John Cline July 30th, 2009 02:42 AM

You shouldn't have to experiment with field settings, your FX-1 HDV footage is upper field first. Vegas should know this and you can check by looking at the clips's properties. As long as Vegas has it correct, there is really very little that can go wrong.

Now, humor me, what was the "deinterlace method" set at in the project properties?

Jeff Harper July 30th, 2009 05:01 AM

Dror, project properties, I see. The option is not available in Vegas 8. Not that I needed to adjust it, just thought I'd look.