DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Audio & Video Misaligned - Why? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/239989-audio-video-misaligned-why.html)

Jeff Vivrette July 29th, 2009 07:37 PM

Audio & Video Misaligned - Why?

I'm using Vegas Pro 8.0c, copying part of a clip (video and audio) in "trimmer" and pasting into a video/audio track.

After doing this with several parts, editing by adding crossfades, transitions I play it back and the audio is not lining up with the video.

When I slid them around they moved together. Why/how did they become miasaligned?

Hmm... just tested it again by copying a piece out of trimmer and dumped into a track. It plays back misaligned. Why is this happening?

When I play it in the "Trimmer" window the audio and video line up just fine.

John Wiley July 30th, 2009 08:10 AM

Do the audio and and video events turn red? If they do it means they have probably been ungrouped.

If the events do not turn red then it means they have not been mis-aligned. I've heard of people having problems of audio drifting with long clips of certian file types or when using they have recorded audio seperately with a double system, but In both these cases I would expect the trimmer to also play back mis-aligned.

Perhaps do a quick edit of a few of the problem clips then render them out. That might tell you if the problem is simply the audio lagging in Vegas playback for some reason or if somewhere in the process something is actually being modified.

Mike Kujbida July 30th, 2009 08:37 AM

Do you have Quantize to Frames enabled?

Jeff Vivrette July 30th, 2009 02:55 PM

I'll reply to both posts here:\

Quote:

Do the audio and and video events turn red? If they do it means they have probably been ungrouped.
Nope, they're not red.

Quote:

Perhaps do a quick edit of a few of the problem clips then render them out. That might tell you if the problem is simply the audio lagging in Vegas playback for some reason or if somewhere in the process something is actually being modified.
Rendered and still plays back misaligned.

Quote:

Do you have Quantize to Frames enabled?
I don't know. I tried toggling it but there is no indicator to show if it's on or not. Any advice?

Jeff Harper July 30th, 2009 03:10 PM

What kind of clips are they? Mpeg, avi, etc...did you try bringing the clips in without using the trimmer?

Mike Kujbida July 30th, 2009 04:03 PM

Ignore the Quantize to Frames question as I'm sure it's not relevant to your problem.
Not being a Trimmer user though, I'm wondering why you're using it.
I usually just drop a bunch of clips on the timeline and start cutting them up before I start any fancy work on them.

Jeff Harper July 30th, 2009 04:06 PM

That's what I'm sayin' Mike. It sure seems a lot faster to me that way. I never understood the need for the trimmer, but I know there are better editors than me that use it. Not knocking it, I just don't get it.

Chris Barcellos July 30th, 2009 04:14 PM

Heres my guess. He is using a file that has 30p frame rate, on a 29.97 time line, and sound is being read at 29.97, while video is being timed at 30. I saw this on 5D stuff, coming out of Cineform's NeoScene initially. That changed with fix in NeoScene that retimed everything to 29.97.

OP has to give us more information on what he has set thing up at, and what he has used to capture, etc, etc. etc. Not enough information here to actually try to help him.

Michael Tobias July 30th, 2009 05:47 PM

Sync Offset?

I've has this problem before when my preview device is set up a certain way. In trimmer everything is aligned but when I drop it onto the time line and preview to my HD monitor the sync is off. I fix it by going into Preferences and under the Preview Device tab there is a "Sync Offset" slider. I usally drag it up to about 8 or 9 and then my preview sync is fine.

Just a thought.

Jeff Vivrette July 31st, 2009 06:43 AM

Let me try to provide some more info so you guy's can help me better.

I filmed with my Canon HV20 set at HDV (PF24).
I captured with NeoScene in order to remove pull down.
NeoScene was set to "Automatically convert to Cineform Intermediate (*.avi) and to "Convert to 24p (NTSC only).
Project properties in Vegas were set to "Match Media" at the start of the project.
The de-interlacing option was set to “interpolate”, and the Quality option set to “Best”.

After editing all clips in the timeline were selected, right click, Switches, Disable Resample.

I rendered to clip like this:
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/sonyavc.png

Hope I can resolve this. I can't complete about 10 projects as a result.

Jeff Harper July 31st, 2009 07:09 AM

Tried not using the trimmer yet?

Someone tell me, where is the match media setting in project properties, I've not seen it before and can't seem to find it.

Mike Kujbida July 31st, 2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1179073)
Someone tell me, where is the match media setting in project properties, I've not seen it before and can't seem to find it.

File - Properties.
Click on the Match Media Settings icon (top right, looks like a folder).
Browse to the folder containing the source footage, click on any of them and then click Open.
The video settings in your Project Properties window will now match your source footage.
This can be saved as a preset if desired.
Note: this doesn't match source audio as that has to done separately.

Jeff Harper July 31st, 2009 07:55 AM

Thanks Mike, handy feature. I've been using "Aspect Ratio" script, same thing?

Jeff Vivrette July 31st, 2009 08:01 AM

I did try dragging the avi file onto the timeline and it had the same sync issues.

Man this is frustrating!

Jeff Vivrette July 31st, 2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1179082)
File - Properties.
Click on the Match Media Settings icon (top right, looks like a folder).
Browse to the folder containing the source footage, click on any of them and then click Open.
The video settings in your Project Properties window will now match your source footage.
This can be saved as a preset if desired.
Note: this doesn't match source audio as that has to done separately.

Even if the source audio was recorded on the camera at the same time?

I'm 99% certain the source and project audio are the same sample rate (48k)