need need a Vegas workflow apprenticeship alternative at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

need need a Vegas workflow apprenticeship alternative

Background: I jumped in to the deep end of the pool. I spent a couple years doing simple projects with miniDV and simple NLEs like iMovie. Then I bought an EX1 and Vegas because miniDV just didn't cut it. To this point, everything I do is just for my own enjoyment.

My question: Is there a resource (book, web site, DVD, etc.) that explains HD editing workflow from beginning to rendering (with as many specific details as possible?) I'm getting a little tired of randomly trying things.

I have checked the JetDV site, youTube, and this forum.

I also have DSE's Vegas 8 Editing Workshop book. It does a good job of explaining the bits, but I need to know how the bits fit together. For example, when (if) do I use an intermediate codec? (and how?); when do I prerender subsections?, plus a few dozen other questions that show just how much I don't know and probably should.

Thanks.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Rule 1: Get Intermediate codec from Cineform. It will maximize your editing experience on many levels. ( Not sure if EX is supported by the $ 129 Neo Scene)

Rule 2: Edit just like MiniDV editing, but expect some limitation on Preview play back. With your preview set to highest level and with multiple edit tracks, you will not likely get full playback capability. You can step through a scene frame by frame if you want to see how things will look.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

While I really dislike the idea of pushing Cineform as a cure-all, it really is a very good solution for a number of issues when it comes to editing HD in Vegas. The .AVI wrapper just leaves very few decent options when it comes to effective codecs.

That said, NeoScene is not listed to support XDCamEX, but NeoHD is. Unfortunately, NeoHD is $499. A bitter pill to swallow if you've just forked out $599 for Vegas. I went in a different direction for an intermediate format but don't recommend it for most because of it's slow speed in Vegas.

Really, there are two options for cutting HD in Vegas. One is Cineform, the other is the film standard offline/online (or proxy) workflow. Both work well and they have different positives and negatives.

Editing HD should not be very different from editing SD to be honest. There are a few quirks to get used to like the different color spaces, and the fact that it's more demanding on the machine. But fundamentally, it's the same. As you learn Vegas, things will get easier. If you have specific questions, post them here. You can usually get very fast answers. Some of them may actually be helpful! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...