More Vegas 5 at NAB - News Posted - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #16
Major Player

Bill, do you mean DVD Workshop 2? If so, I tend to agree and that's probably where I'm headed if DVDA2 misses the mark.

As for price, competition is extremely heavy at this price point (Adobe, Pinnacle, Canopus, Ulead). Hard to imagine too big a price jump or any at all. If I was Sony, I'd want to lock in the current base before I started mucking with the price. After that, fair game, but I'd still be interested in market share.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #17

yep...DVD workshop 2. sorry for the mis-info
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #18
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Will Fastie : Bill, do you mean DVD Workshop 2? If so, I tend to agree and that's probably where I'm headed if DVDA2 misses the mark.
I, personally, would like to see two things- end actions and multi camera angle support.

As for price, competition is extremely heavy at this price point (Adobe, Pinnacle, Canopus, Ulead). Hard to imagine too big a price jump or any at all. If I was Sony, I'd want to lock in the current base before I started mucking with the price. After that, fair game, but I'd still be interested in market share.
I don't know- if Sony priced it even "similar" to the rest (Adobe, Canopus, etc) expect a large price increase. If so I'll probably be spending the same amount on the "upgrade" as I did on Vegas+DVD itself.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #19
Major Player

Glen, I'm after DVD-9 (dual-layer) support and DLT support (although I wish the DVD replicators would come up with a way to take a DVD stream off a set of burned DVDs instead of requiring tape).

Sony's current price is $400 to upgrade from Vegas 3 to Vegas+DVD and $300 to upgrade from V4 to V+D. I'm wondering about the price for the upgrade from Vegas 4 to Vegas+DVD 5.

As for competition:
Vegas+DVD = $900
Ulead MediaStudio Pro + DVD Workshop = $1,000
Adobe Premiere + Encore DVD + Audition = $1,550 (or the Collection bundle for $1,500)
Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5 + Impression = $900 (not clear to me if this matches Vegas or Audition for sound)
Canopus Edius + Procoder = $1,000 (not clear to me if this gives full DVD authoring, but I don't think so)

Sony clearly undercuts the competition on price, the best way to build market share. But I guess there is a little bit of wiggle room.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #20

Will..

I can't answer your q's re: Ulead MSP. However, I suggest you contact Douglas Spotted Eagle, either at www.sundancemediagroup.com or over as a moderator on the audio forum, here at DVinfo. He's VERY familiar with MSP.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #21
Inner Circle

folks, it may have been bad form, but not bad motives.

He is referencing the official user support forum for Vegas.
If you are not a member there, how come? Sony support employees hang out there, Spot, myself and just about every Vegas user has an account there, and if not, they should.

I also have Acid Pro and Soundforge and go there to post and read posts. Great source for info on scripting and plug-ins too.

really folks, jeez.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #22
Sponsor: JET DV

Joe, I agree. Jay's motives are good.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Ive requested for a mod to edit this thread.

My apologies to those who misinterpreted my post, it wasnt meant to blow out the way it did, as it was as general comment,

I wasnt expecting it to turn ugly

I believe it was a reasonable comment based on the information provided at the time.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #24
RED Code Chef

Thanks a lot Jay! That IS much appreciated. That you are allowed
to tape the event and put it online for us sad people who can't
attend is very very good news and I thank you for it. Can't wait
to see what is going to get released. Too bad I can't be @ NAB
myself unless Sony wants to fly me up <g>

Thanks Jay!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Rob,

We've got a team of 5 SoCal Vegas Users who are going make this happen for all of you.

The Stream will most likely be broadcast on Tuesday the 20th.

I will post more details and instructions for picking up the stream, once we have worked out all of the details.

Jay Mitchell
Jay Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Thanks for the efforts in getting this out,
do you know if there will be a downloadable mpg of this?
Might make it easier for dial up users as well as those who are off a different time zone
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #27
Rextilleon

Good Work JJJJJJJJJJJaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy! Let us know as soon as you have the url for the streaming! Jay isn't going to have any time to gamble--isn't that a primary reason for going ot NAB--LOL
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Actually David - Vegas Takes The Gamble Out Of Editing :-)

--Jay Mitchell
Jay Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #29
Regular Crew

"wish the DVD replicators would come up with a way to take a DVD stream off a set of burned DVDs instead of requiring tape)."

Actually many replicators these days accept DVD-R's as source masters for glass mastering and then replication.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #30
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jason Casey : Actually many replicators these days accept DVD-R's as source masters for glass mastering and then replication. -->>>

For DVD-9 (i.e., dual-layer)? Are you talking about DVD-R general media or (I forget what the other one is called) mastering/authoring?

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...