DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Zoom H4n audio sounds metallic and echoey in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/245095-zoom-h4n-audio-sounds-metallic-echoey-vegas.html)

Dylan Couper August 5th, 2009 09:52 PM

Zoom H4n audio sounds metallic and echoey in Vegas

I've been working with some audio from my Zoom H4n in Vegas. It sounded great, nice, clear, sharp. Started Vegas again, working with the same project file, and now it sounds metallic, echoey, like a bad Transformers voice. It sounds fine when I play it in Media Player, but now any audio file I import into Vegas sounds bad (though not quite as bad as the zoom files)... even if it is a completely blank new project. Any idea why, what setting I changed without noticing it, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Seth Bloombaum August 5th, 2009 10:09 PM

Possibly you've selected the downmix output button in the mixer (not the mixing console).

This takes your stereo source down to mono, so as to check mono compatibility of your mix. Is it important that your mix be mono-compatible? That's another subject, which has been discussed before on this forum, or maybe it was the "Now Hear This" forum.

Look for a small icon that looks like a speaker. Mono mode = one speaker, stereo mode = two speakers. It's right next to the project audio properties icon...

Why does it sound bad? The X-Y config of the built-in mics on the H4n *should* downmix to mono just fine. If you were using these mics then is it possible that some sort of effect or hardware setting is delaying one channel by a few samples?

On the other hand, if you were using external mics with your H4n, you might want to post about what mics and where they were in relation to each other.

Ah, one more possibility - perhaps mono downmix is selected *and* your monitors are out of phase with each other. That might be indicated, since this problem shows up on other sources than your H4n. Are there some suspect cables in your monitoring setup? Homebrew monitors? If it's easy to switch signal and ground in one of your monitors that's the easiest way to check. If it sounds better then that was the problem.

Generally, what you're hearing is referred to as phase cancellation or comb filtering.

Jeff Harper August 5th, 2009 10:44 PM

Another idea to "fix" it would be to create a new audio track and lay down the audio on the track, and it will be as it should be. If possible just delete the old track and you're done.

Dylan Couper August 5th, 2009 11:30 PM

Tried opening new tracks, new files, etc... nothing worked... just booted up the computer to try Seth's suggestion and... it works fine now without me doing anything. Tried to "break" it again so I could figure out what I did wrong... can't duplicate the result (though it has happened to me before). Don't think it was a speaker issue as I tried it with two sets as well as headphones, and it sounded bad on all of them.

Oh well, after the day of audio problems I've had, I'm just going to chalk this one up as a win. Thanks!