Ok Vegas 5 is out- what about the upgrade for existing Vegas users?! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 19th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Will,

is it okay to switch to Vegas 5 in the middle of a Vegas 4 project or could it be trouble loading the thing in V5?

I am a little superstitous (hell, how do you spell that word??)about that.. :))

Cheers, Peter
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #17
Major Player

You need one more i - superstitious.

I did quickly load two v4 projects. They appeared to be okay, but my work in Vegas is not terribly complicated yet. Others with more experience may be better equipped to answer the question.

One thing I did notice is that Vegas 5 does not read Vegas 4 preferences, so it appears I have to set everything up again.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm a registered 4.0 user but didn't get any promotional e-mail discount for 5.0; is the $50-off promotion limited to those who bought 4.0 very recently? I don't want to upgrade yet unless I know for sure an e-mail coupon is on the way--or not.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I purchased Vegas 4 a little earlier than a year ago.

@Will

thanks, I guess I'll better wait a little before I mess with my project.

Cheers, Peter
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #20
Space Hipster

Barry:

You can always call to get the discount. I bought version 4 in Jan 2003 and got the coupon.
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #22
Slash Rules!

Is there a quick summary of the new features? All I found on that link provided is a 63 page in depth look at them. . .just a simple list is all I want.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yes, just click on on the video/audio etx. features links here:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...0&keycode=6373

Cheers, Peter
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #24
Slash Rules!

Thanks. . .it looks like they STILL didn't add my Avid/FCP -style scrub tool, and I didn't see anything about fixing that bin management bug from version 4, related to Windows XP, or anything about. . .um. . .I don't know the term for it. . .honest to God EDLs, so you can export and do offline and online edits and all that. . .

And why's it still called Vegas? Everyone who's an industry pro that I talk to laughs when I tell them the name of my NLE, before, of course, they say dismissively "hmm, never heard of it."
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #25
Major Player

Josh, it's time to turn the tables. Perhaps the John McEnroe approach would be best. When they laugh, simply raise your voice and yell "You can't be serious!"

After all, it's their problem that they've never heard of Vegas, not yours for using it.

I think the name should stick. Keeping in mind that we're dealing with Sony, consider that the Sonic Foundry name "Video Factory" was changed to the Sony name "Screenblast Movie Studio." With this sort of naming brilliance, good products can be ruined.
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #26
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Thanks. . .it looks like they STILL didn't add my Avid/FCP -style scrub tool, and I didn't see anything about fixing that bin management bug from version 4, related to Windows XP, or anything about. . .um. . .I don't know the term for it. . .honest to God EDLs, so you can export and do offline and online edits and all that. . . -->>>

You can now grab the cursor and scrub the timeline without creating a selection area. Not sure if that's exactly the "Avid/FCP - style scrub tool" but it IS a new option inVegas.

Not exactly sure what you mean about the "bin management bug" but there ARE new features such as the ability to create sub-clips.

EDL support is still limited. Hopefully more will be supported via scripting.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #27
Slash Rules!

There's another thread, I believe I started it, where a bug is discussed, possibly unique to Win XP, where when you put stuff in bins, it doesn't stay there! You can carefully organize your bins by scene, or date, or whatever, and then, when you come back the next day, they're all screwed up, with the same stuff in every bin, or everything moved around.
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #28
Wrangler

Reply to Josh and Will:

Am I the only one who 1. Doesn't give a squat about what it's named....and 2. Could care less whether people in the "industry" haven't heard of Vegas.

The people who care more about what an NLE is called or it's recognition by the industry surely have missed the point. What the program can do- and how well the program can allow you to work creatively without bounds is what's important. Vegas has done a better job of this than any NLE...even IF it was called Sony Super Screen-Blast Mega Suite, means no difference to me.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #29
Major Player

Glen, you are right, the name means nothing to me or to anyone who is already using the product.

However, the name means a lot when it comes to marketing and expanding the user base of this or any product. My point about Video Factory was that it was a name with some brand recognition and it was changed to a rather bland, generic name - Movie Studio. Those are potential Vegas users because the UI is almost identical. Where is the marketing tie-in between the pro version that you and I use and the junior version that the mass market might use? If there was going to be a name change anyway, wouldn't a tie-in have helped?

The extent to which Vegas commands market share is the extent to which after-market products and support will be available. Anything that expands the after-market is good for all of us who use Vegas.

In that context, recognized names are important. Whether one happens to like the name or not, I for one would be very wary of changing it.
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #30
Slash Rules!

Well, I guess this is my take on it, then, and I'd appreciate non-aggressive responses--I'm simply stating facts here. I've been trying to get full-time work in "the industry" for a while now, and some of the positions I've applied for also want someone with editing experience. Now, I HAVE worked with FCP and Avid before, so I can say I'm "familiar" with them, and it's not totally a lie. But I've been with Vegas for about two years. However, no one to whom I apply for a position knows about Vegas or cares, they want to hear that I know Premiere, Media 100, Avid, FCP, something like that. . .that's where I'm coming from. When I mention this "Vegas" business, I think they take that to mean that I have no "real" non-linear editing experience. . .I guess they think it's like one of the consumer editors, like imovie or something. All I'm saying is, to me, the name doesn't really sell the product as hyper-pro; it sounds very consumer-y.

Anyway, that's all. Sorry to disrupt the thread. Continue onward.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...