Ok Vegas 5 is out- what about the upgrade for existing Vegas users?! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 20th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #31
Wrangler

I understand the point your trying to make- however even for me as a consumer my choice to move to Vegas had nothing to do with it's name. I tried out Vegas (and subsequently purchased it) on reputation alone.

Maybe the whole name game might play a part into consumer marketing where the purchaser doesn't know much about the NLE package he/she is purchasing, and the choice is based on visual appeal and perhaps name. However I don't think any consumer shooting "home videos" is even going to be shopping for an NLE in this price class. Vegas makes no quams about who it's marketing it to- and it's definitly not Uncle Joe with his first DV cam editing cousin Mikey's birthday. When someone is shopping for NLEs in Vegas's class they obviously are after professional features and are a bit more accomplished than an average consumer, thus things like the interface looking "cool" or the name of the product sounding sweeter to the ears is a non-issue.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #32
Wrangler

Josh, changing the name isn't going to make it appear more professional. These employers in the "industry" have blinders on and only stick to Avid/FCP/PPro. The only thing that's going to get Vegas more recognition is time. You have to understand Vegas was an audio editing program only a few years ago- where FCP/Avid/PPro have been true NLEs since their inception. The longer Vegas is around and continues to innovate the more attention is going to draw and the more it's going to be a staple in the high end NLE market. Soon enough people like these employers you speak of will have to recognize Vegas. The momentum has already begun (at least I hope).
You and I both know the fact they don't acknowledge Vegas as a pro NLE doesn't dispute the fact it truely is. All I am saying is if your main worries are your employers recognizing your Vegas experience as true NLE experience then nothing is going to change that right now- not even a more "Pro" sounding name.

Good luck- have fun!

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Well, I guess this is my take on it, then, and I'd appreciate non-aggressive responses--I'm simply stating facts here. I've been trying to get full-time work in "the industry" for a while now, and some of the positions I've applied for also want someone with editing experience. Now, I HAVE worked with FCP and Avid before, so I can say I'm "familiar" with them, and it's not totally a lie. But I've been with Vegas for about two years. However, no one to whom I apply for a position knows about Vegas or cares, they want to hear that I know Premiere, Media 100, Avid, FCP, something like that. . .that's where I'm coming from. When I mention this "Vegas" business, I think they take that to mean that I have no "real" non-linear editing experience. . .I guess they think it's like one of the consumer editors, like imovie or something. All I'm saying is, to me, the name doesn't really sell the product as hyper-pro; it sounds very consumer-y.

Anyway, that's all. Sorry to disrupt the thread. Continue onward. -->>>
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #33
Major Player

Ah. That's a horse of a different color, Josh. Now I understand your predicament.

I'm not from the video world, I'm from the software world. Early in my career, I used programming languages that were developed by the group I eventually led. These were excellent programming languages, sophisticated tools that allowed our company to create products that kept us very far ahead of the competition. Those languages were not C, C++, Basic, VB, Java, or any other programming language you might have heard about. We were using these tools before C was even invented.

Imagine how this sounded later in my career, or how it must sound even now! I remember once when a manager at one of my clients reacted with hostility when he learned I'd never written a production piece of C++. Four hours later I found a significant bug in their C++ code. Shut him up pretty quick.

The trick is not to let the conversation devolve into a battle of checklists. A recruiter, or even a manager doing an interview, gets a good feeling when there are more checks on the list. But you and I know that it's not the checklist that counts, it's the results. The real point is not what programming language I used or what NLE you used, but what we did with those tools.

You have to find some techniques to switch the topic of conversation from checklists to results. Do you have samples of your work? Perhaps you can make a DVD of samples, then take it and one of those portable players with you on the interview. Show the result. Provide some commentary while it's playing. Get your target looking at what you can do, not how you did it.

I think if you can demonstrate sophistication in skills and some experience (no matter how small) with the desired editor, you'll do okay. Just don't let the checklist rule the day.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #34
Wrangler

Good point Will, however many of these editing houses ONLY have AVID or ONLY have FCP etc....beings he's looking to work for them he'd have to work on their workstations. I doubt they'd let him bring a copy of Vegas to install...lol. It's a tough situation and as reluctant as I am to say it the best thing to do is learn one of these NLE's extensively. If it's Premiere Pro they need you to learn- learn Premiere Pro. When it comes down to it- your income is more important than the NLE you choose. Especially in your situation where it's expected you work on these types of NLEs.
My situation is different, I do event videography. My house is my studio so I work on whatever NLE I choose- thus the reason I happily chose Vegas. Thankfully I don't have to worry about couples asking about my "Avid" experience prior to booking their wedding. :)
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #35
Major Player

Glen, right again. But Josh has experience with other NLEs. He's just not getting the chance to prove he can do the work. I'm not suggesting missionary work to show the unbelievers the true path or anything like that.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #36
Inner Circle

So Sony should tack "Pro" onto the end of the name? :D
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #37
Slash Rules!

Boys, boys. . .sorry to sidetrack the thread. I just wanted to know about the new features. . .and here we find ourselves over the river and through the woods in the lovely sunny town of Tangentville.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #38
Rextilleon

Josh, the scrubbing is pretty cool, you merely point to the blinking line on the timeline and go either way. Works well.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...