DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Ok Vegas 5 is out- what about the upgrade for existing Vegas users?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/24741-ok-vegas-5-out-what-about-upgrade-existing-vegas-users.html)

Glen Elliott April 19th, 2004 05:08 AM

Ok Vegas 5 is out- what about the upgrade for existing Vegas users?!

I see Vegas and Vegas Production Suite (Vegas+DVD) listed on the Sony site.....but where's the "Upgrade"?!

Stephen van Vuuren April 19th, 2004 05:23 AM

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...D=912&SPID=272

Will Fastie April 19th, 2004 08:31 AM

Despite my reservations about DVDA v2, it does appear very economical to upgrade from Vegas 4 to Vegas+DVD Production Suite.

Just to be absolutely clear, I don't own Vegas+DVD, I just own Vegas 4.

As I read it, V4 to V5 is $200. V4 to V+D5 is $300. $100 seems a bargain for for DVDA even if it can't do one of the things I need.

Am I right about the upgrade cost or did I read something wrong?

Nick Jushchyshyn April 19th, 2004 09:48 AM

My personal read on this item:
Upgrade Vegas to Vegas+DVD – from $299.95
Upgrade Vegas Pro, Vegas Audio, Vegas Video, or Vegas 4.0 to Vegas+DVD.

Is that it is an upgrade to the Vegas 4 version of Vegas+DVD. All the V5 upgrades are pretty specific about the version.

I'm thinking to go from V4 to V5+DVDA you spend about $500:
V4->V5 => $200
V5->V5+DVD => $300

Have fun.

Edward Troxel April 19th, 2004 10:03 AM

Nope - only $300

Upgrade Vegas to Vegas+DVD – from $299.95
Upgrade Vegas Pro, Vegas Audio, Vegas Video, or Vegas 4.0 to Vegas+DVD.

Will Fastie April 19th, 2004 10:03 AM

Nick, I think that is a valid reading of the upgrade options and it is one of the reasons I am confused. (I've been trying to call the 800 sales number but it's been busy all morning -- good news for Sony, I'd guess.)

However, on this Sony page you will find the following (emphasis is mine):
Quote:

Can I purchase older versions of your products?
No. We only sell the latest versions of our products. For information on upgrading to the most current version please see our Upgrades page.
That would seem to mean that any mention of Vegas+DVD refers to version 5.

This brings up a gripe I've always had with this site, even when it was Sonic Foundry. I think the upgrade options should be listed with the product. If you're on the Vegas+DVD Production Suite page, you should see the price of the product and all possible upgrade paths to that product. No ambiguity in that.

Edward Troxel April 19th, 2004 10:06 AM

Look at the thread I just started. They DO have upgrade information from many different starting points to many different ending points. You're just looking in the wrong place.

Will Fastie April 19th, 2004 10:37 AM

Easy, Edward, your assumption that I was looking in the wrong place is incorrect. I know where the upgrades page is and I read all the options before I posted a word here.

Nick's point is well taken, that these statements seem specific. For example, the V5 to V+D upgrade language says "Upgrade Vegas 5 to Vegas+DVD Production Suite." But the Vegas to Vegas+DVD language says "Upgrade Vegas Pro, Vegas Audio, Vegas Video, or Vegas 4.0 to Vegas+DVD." There is no mention of "Production Suite."

Nonetheless, I'm going to assume that you are correct and that the Web site knows what it's doing when it accepts a previous serial number - I'll order the upgrade.

Thanks for your clarification.

Edward Troxel April 19th, 2004 10:44 AM

Vegas 5 + DVDA 2 IS the "Production Suite"

(Perhaps poor wording was used on their site)

Total cost of upgrade: $300

Will Fastie April 19th, 2004 12:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : (Perhaps poor wording was used on their site) -->>>

My point. Sony should get rid of that upgrades page and put the links on its product pages.

Nick Jushchyshyn April 19th, 2004 02:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification.
Very cool deal, really.

So ... if you can get Vegas Video 3 off ebay for $50, then upgrade that to V5+DVDA and you've got the whole studio for $350!

Have fun.

Edward Troxel April 19th, 2004 02:30 PM

Well.... it says "From $299.95" so... from 3 to 5 may cost more than 4 to 5.

Will Fastie April 19th, 2004 03:05 PM

Well, the name of the upgrade says "Vegas," not "Vegas 4" and its description says "Vegas Pro, Vegas Audio, Vegas Video, or Vegas 4.0 to Vegas+DVD," which seems to imply a difference between "Vegas Video" and "Vegas 4.0" yet lumps them into the same upgrade category.

If I was Sony, I'd be anxious to rid myself of any sort of support burden for versions prior to 4. This sure would do it. Besides, the more who upgrade to the Vegas big-time, the fewer who are likely to answer the siren call of Adobe and its new .5 release, coincidentally available just today.

Peter Koller April 19th, 2004 03:19 PM

I got a mail from Sony today and they offer an upgrade to Vegas 5 for $149. The upgrade to Vegas 5 + DVD Production Suite costs $249. This offer is good until May 31st.

Why are the prices different from your quotes?

Cheers, Peter

Will Fastie April 19th, 2004 03:33 PM

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a registered owner of Vegas Video 3.0. He got an email with the same $149/$249 offer.

When I upgraded and checked out this morning, the invoice showed a cost of $249 and a discount of $50.95.