DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/2546-vegas-video.html)

Ray Gram June 27th, 2002 12:08 PM

Vegas Video?

Hi All,

What's your opinion on Vegas Video? I'm not a video professional, but I've played around with Premiere 6 and I use other Adobe software that I like. I've used a lot of audio software, including Sonic Foundry's stuff before too. My main applications will be 1) home videos with fun stuff and 2) output to MPEG-2 and DVD (I have an HP200i DVD burner).

How does Vegas compare with Premiere? I think that Vegas is totally software rendered, so I guess that means you don't get any realtime previews. Is that correct? Does that really matter? With Premiere, I could add a realtime card to speed it up, right? My machine is a P4 1.7GHz.

Thanks!

Edward Troxel June 27th, 2002 02:47 PM

Vegas Video is entirely software that gives you amazingly good real-time preview to the computer screen or out the firewire port to and external monitor. On my 700 MHz PIII, the program "stutters" slightly when crossing dissolves. For straight dv, it plays 29.97. For multilayer effects, it sometimes gets as low as 4-5 frames per second (hence the stutter).

In my mind, it is about the best option available right now. It is equal to Premiere in most ways, exceeds Premiere in some ways, and is inferior is a few others. To see how it works for you, just download the trial version and give it a test. It has been solid on my system and works with my work flow. Premiere wasn't as intuitive.

Bottom line: both will suit your purposes. Test them both and use the one that "feels" best.

Steve Savanyu June 28th, 2002 07:24 AM

Hello,

I was all set to go out and buy a MAC plus Final Cut Pro. Had the system all picked out and my hand on the credit card...

I was familiar with the SF audio products and decided for grins to try out VV3. After doing a couple of projects (some fun and some real) I have decided that this is the more cost effective way for me to go. So now I am looking at a big Dell PC with large HDD's and loads of RAM (much cheaper then a Mac).

I also used it to cut a quick 30sec bit for my company to use at a trade show by using VV3 on a laptop in a hotel room. (The bit was 100 five frame still images and a custom audio track with moving text graphics.)

Now if I can find someone to buy my Trinity/Linear SVHS rig, I can buy those nice 19" LCD monitors for my PC!

Cheers
BTH

Don Truax June 28th, 2002 09:22 AM

We use Vegas. It is a lot easier to use than Premiere. Sonic Foundry has incorporated most of their sound tools in with the Vegas package. It's a win win!

Ray Gram June 28th, 2002 07:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I will give it a go. The demo version seemed to make sense to me, and that is probably the best productivity advantage you can get.

I heard from a sales person at a local store that used to carry it (Guitar Center in Kirkland, WA) that Sonic Foundry may be "dropping" the Vegas line. His store stopped carrying it. (They sell all sorts of music production software). He said he heard that from 2 separate sources. Hmm. I hope the product stays alive and updated.

Josh Bass June 29th, 2002 12:13 AM

I have Vegas Video 3, and it's pretty sweet. From what I read about it, the speed and smoothness of the playback relies on your computer. Hence, if you have a super machine, the program will perform super-ly. I upgraded my processor to an Athlon 1600x for about 300 dollars, and you'd probably want to look at something like that, or even higher. I've also been told you can never have enough RAM (and that 1 gig is good to have).

Ray Gram June 29th, 2002 01:04 AM

3D fx

I noticed that the basic VV3 demo package doesn't seem to include any 3D fx; all the transitions are 2D. What do you use for 3D fx, if any? I think SF sells an extra pack. Are there any good 3rd party packages for VV?

Bill Ravens June 29th, 2002 08:29 AM

I have been using VV3 on my dual TYAN/AMD rig for about 6 months now. I still have Premier, Pinnacle Studio 7, Adobe AfterEffects and Media Studio Pro 6.5 loaded on my machine, but, I now use VV3 exclusively. No need for the other programs. VV3 currently has very few 3rd party plugins, but, Pixelan Spice Rack is one that works. There's several way to spoof 3d transitions.....see the following:
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/Htm/DVEditHomeSet1.htm
look under "more techniques".

VV3 also supports a number of Directx plugins like Izotope and WAVES audio effects. Most NLE's are sorely lacking in adequate professional audio editting capability. VV3, plus these plugins give quite flexxible filters, compressors, and mixer capabilities.

Ray Gram July 2nd, 2002 10:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I just ordered a license for VV3 from videoguys.com.

Josh Bass July 3rd, 2002 01:51 AM

Here's a tip for the money-conscious: VV3 last time I checked was priced at around 420 or somewhere thereabouts if you download a demo and then pay for the code to unlock, versus ordering it boxed.

Also, this may sound stupid, but with a student discount you get it real cheap, provided you take the time to shop the academic providers (I got my copy for 170 bucks or so). If you sign up for a 180 dollar class at your local community college, and use the discount to buy the program, you'll still get away paying less than you would without the discount!

Or just steal your cousin's student ID and say you're him. Whatever.

Virgoguy August 29th, 2002 07:31 AM

academic pricing saves you money!

That is how I got most of my programs from Macromedia, to Adobe suites and Vv3. It just makes sense because if you don't like it -there you are stuck with hundreds of dollars worth junk. Vegas Video is pretty sweet.

http://www.creationengine.com/html/action.lasso?-database=products.fm&-layout=w&-response=prd.html&product%20ID=10721&-search

$166 with plugins and Acid pro 3.0 as well!

Dylan Couper August 29th, 2002 08:31 PM

I've seen new, non-academic copies of VV3 going on Ebay for $250-ish. None right now though.

Anyway, my Vegas Video question, can anyone reccomend a book/user manual/training guide for VV3?

Bill Ravens August 29th, 2002 08:36 PM

1. Get "The Official VV3 User Manual" from SOFO....about $35.
2. Spend (a lot of) time at www.creativecow.com. They've got tons of tutorials...the best way to learn VV3.

Rick O'Brien August 29th, 2002 09:15 PM

I would suggest that if your a student great, go academic.
This program is well worth full price and 400.00 is peanuts compared to Premeire and others.
The money you spend on it will fuel future improvements.
I love the program!
Hang with it. You will be amazed at all the functionality it has.
I am fairly new to this program myself. I learn something new and get excited every time I use it.

Cheers,
Rick

Aaron Koolen August 29th, 2002 10:02 PM

I like VV3 and find it really intuitive and performance is really nice. One question though. If I was going to learn an NLE program, just so I would have skills enough that I might be able to get bits of work editing for people, would Avid DV Xpress be a better choice? Is it the software of choice for PC's? And from what I've heard it's pretty populare on the Mac too so you would have skills that you could use on other the other most popular platform.