DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   From timeline to Blu-ray ISO (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/270620-timeline-blu-ray-iso.html)

Prech Marton August 12th, 2009 12:53 PM

From timeline to Blu-ray ISO

Hi.

I finish a wedding movie, filmed with Son Fx1 in HDV mode.
I want to make not only a dvd but also a Blu-ray disc.
This will be my first HD wedding, so i want to make it simple, without menu
and without errors. Just simple chapter markers.
The bad thing: i dont have a BR writer (my friend will write), and dont have a BD-RE disc to test it first.
So i convert my timeline from the menu: Tools/Burn disc/Bluray, set the correct parameters (mainconcept mpeg2, BR 1440x1080i, 25mbps, Sony wave64 audio, and create the ISO file.
(curious it take a very long time on my 3.3ghz dualcore machine: 1,5 hour video about 3-4 hour! i thinked it will be faster, because dont have to recompress)

So i have the 20GB ISO file, but cannot test it, will be good?
Powerdvd don't open ISO, and i cannot mount with the latest daemon tools lite.
So how can i test it, before writing?

thx
Marton

Prech Marton August 15th, 2009 10:53 AM

i even cannot mount with virtual clone drive, which also support BD disc :(
but with Poweriso i can see the correct directory structure, it seems OK.

so, can i burn the BD disc? help!

Prech Marton August 17th, 2009 06:48 AM

hmm, nobody use this function? :(

Joe Parker August 17th, 2009 07:51 AM

Remember the max on a 25gb disk is about 22gb, so you've about reached the limit for mpeg2 unless you're willing to lower your bitrate. Realistically, you're going to have to start using AVC.

The audio is another question. I'm not sure you can use .wav.

But to answer your question directly, no, we haven't made a blu-ray from the timeline yet. But I imagine we will.

Burners are down to $150 USD now; you'll figure it out a lot faster if you get your own.

Prech Marton August 17th, 2009 08:07 AM

thx,

i think uncompressed stereo pcm audio at 48khz is a standard for BD.
even vegas recommend this, and when i try to set it to dd ac3 pro, i get an error message.

Here in Hungary burners start at $220, and i only have one wedding in HD this year.
maybe next year i buy a bd burner.

"25gb disk is about 22gb"
why? 25GB is 25GB
Do you speak about the 1000/1024 difference?

anyway:
file size is 20GB and 16GB, so i dont think i reach the limit of 25GB.

Marton

Joe Parker August 17th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 1233741)
why? 25GB is 25GB
Do you speak about the 1000/1024 difference?

Maybe. To tell you the truth, I haven't really looked into it, mostly because I'm used to all my computer media actually holding less than they advertise it to.

Prech Marton August 17th, 2009 11:19 AM

No, nothing wrong with megabyte, gigabyte...
just use the new prefix (mebi, gibi) if you want use the 1024 divider..

but this is OFFtopic!

Jim Snow August 17th, 2009 12:05 PM

ImgBurn will burn your ISO file to BD-R discs. The Official ImgBurn Website

It's a free application.

Harry Simpson August 17th, 2009 05:58 PM

Jim,

Great link to these folks - i downloade the express version....do you own the plus version?

It says "Video files will be re-encoded and made in to a standard DVD Movie disk, playable on a DVD player (Plus version only). "

Does this mean I can take a MP4 video clip and it'll burn it to the DVD in such a way as to play in my DVD player to view on my TV? Or is it just saying it'll play on my computer's dvd player?

Thought you might know.

Thanks
Harry

Jim Snow August 17th, 2009 06:12 PM

I think you have downloaded the wrong software, probably one of the advertised products on the download page. Here is the ImgBurn download link.

Download ImgBurn for free - Fileforum

Harry Simpson August 18th, 2009 10:24 AM

Jim

thanks you're right - there's a big ad for this other software on the ImgBurn's website and this other software looked very good with the express version (free) and the $50 pro version ( CD Burn Software & DVD Burning Software - Download )

I'd love to figure out a way to produce a DVD that would play in a regular DVD player where BluRay wasn't a factor. Time i used the DVD Architect the resulting video looked terrible!! I realized i couldn't watch in HD on the Digital TV without a Blueray burner and then BR player but i expected to video to be better....

Thanks

Mike Kujbida August 18th, 2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Simpson (Post 1238514)
I'd love to figure out a way to produce a DVD that would play in a regular DVD player where BluRay wasn't a factor. Time i used the DVD Architect the resulting video looked terrible!!

The bit rate used for the encoding is what determines the quality of the final video.
I NEVER use default templates for anything I do and my DVDs look pretty good if I do say so, even ones that run 2 hours long.

Joe Parker August 18th, 2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1234549)
ImgBurn will burn your ISO file to BD-R discs.

It won't burn his iso to a bd-r because he doesn't own a burner. The guy with a blu-ray burner already has burning software.

We use default templates for all our 1080 60i HDV material, and once the DVD is upconverted it really looks about as good as the blu-ray.

Jim Snow August 18th, 2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Parker (Post 1239996)
It won't burn his iso to a bd-r because he doesn't own a burner. The guy with a blu-ray burner already has burning software.

We use default templates for all our 1080 60i HDV material, and once the DVD is upconverted it really looks about as good as the blu-ray.

His friend does and will burn it for him.

Prech Marton August 18th, 2009 11:47 PM

Mike:
"The bit rate used for the encoding is what determines the quality of the final video."

Thats only the half of the truth.
The big factor is the RESIZING METHOD, and the after sharpening!