You used Preset Manager? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 27th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #1
Old Boot

You used Preset Manager?

Anybody used this with success with Vegas? Can't get PM to "grab" my Vegas preset - Sound Forge yes, in fact excellent - Vegas no .. .

TIA

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 05:06 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I downloaded it but never installed it. My settings are, generally, pretty simple but there HAS been I time or two I wanted to move a preset between mechines. In reading the other post, I was just thinking I need to check it out.

Can't you just copy the folder mentioned in the other thread?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #3
Old Boot

Edward you maybe correct . . but . . .

Edward, most probably.

There was also a time when I would have taken a Pony 'n Trap to London . . . hey I aint being facetious, but if it is called a Preset Manager and the Online Help file states how useful it is for Vegas to .. . er . . manage presets . .. why should we need to invoke a work-around? This is what you are suggesting .. yeah?

If it is broke, Sony should fix it! - Me being incompetent [you have not said I am, rather you are inviting me to "use" a fix] maybe will motivate the Sony Guys and Girlz to get it sorted? .. Maybe? . . . .

Like I said, for the audio it is great. The presets I've made are all there! Cooo .. I have made a few . .. spent hours and hours putting them together .. I've got ones that "lifts" a muffled mic talent to something akin to Mike Jagger .. at Wembley Stadium! . .So, I've invested time in getting my Vegas Presets .. It WOULD be neat if PM did work Vegas as it does for SF .. nothing more ... nothing less. . .

Grazie
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I agree Grazie - it's not as easy as it could be!

Mine shows a few Vegas FX, in Folders called "FX Chains" and "FX Plugins", but there are several others I can't find, particularly some rendering presets.

It needs a better step by step guide in the Help files to find where they all are, and how to add them to the Preset Manager.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Old Boot

Peter . . ."Not as easy as it could be" ? Peter does it work for Vegas? . . Well not for me anyway . . . Are you using a "work-around"? . . . Do you get FX chains? From where and how? .. . I've tried to collect some Text Presets . .doesn't it do these? If not, the Help file needs to reflect the limitations - if this is the case.

I really like the concept of PM. Yes, the option for me to store and replace them after a major re-install. BUT the biggy could/would be for using PM to "remind" me what I'd got available to! ... Something akin to browsing through a Grazie Catalogue .. yeah?

.. The other thing, Pete, was how on Earth did you understand my typing ?!? !?! ?! I just re-read it and the spilling was atrocious! ! Thanks for the feedback and support ..

Grazie
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't know how I got any Vegas presets - they were just there!

I'm sure there's an explanation for all this - I just don't know it yet!
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #7
Old Boot

. .oh . . Thanks Pete . . Were these presets you had made? Of course, must've been . . What type of presets? Maybe PM will only recognose FXs or P/C or whatever. I did a Text Preset .. . maybe it doesn't recognise these .. . So what type of Vegas Preset did PM recognise?

TIA,

Grazie
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It found one Vdeo FX Chain preset "Border and Swirl", and the others were Audio Presets, but all from Vegas rather than Sound Forge.
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #9
Old Boot

I presume "Border and Swirl" was one of yours? . .. "but all from Vegas rather than Sound Forge." . . Your Audio presets came from Vegas? Now that's different . . My Presets "appear" to come from my playing around in SF . . now I'm lost too!

Grazie
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes, if I can fix audio in Vegas I do - I am gathering a growing collection of Compression, EQ and Reverb pre-settings, which I often use at a Track level in Vegas. I don't think I've saved any in Sound Forge ..... yet. I do use Noise Reduction in SF, and I should be saving everything - costs nothing! Thanks for the nudge, Grazie.

I'm not sure if I created "Border and Swirl" or not - I think I did, after reading about saving Chains, but I may have downloaded it - anyway it's here in Preset Manager.

I've posted to SonyTSW on your thread in the Sony forum, so hopefully he'll give us a kick-start .... or at least a kick!
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #11
Old Boot

HAH! . . . Okay. What it is pointing to is an ability to "collect" Audio Presets across platforms - Vegas or SF - this is a good thing . . However, the Border and Swirl thingy, coming from Vegas (?) has got me confused as to what and how PM goes about discriminating. . .. . .

BTW, I've just looked in my Media Generators tab "Text" folder, and there is my Text format I saved about an hour ago . . But it aint being picked up by PM . . . weird!

Grazie
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Mmm ... Border and Swirl - a chain of two video FX. It gives you a bevelled edge (Border FX) and "screws up" the picture (Swirl FX) "created 11 April. It was in a folder called Program Files > Sonic Foundry > Vegas 4.0 > Presets > FX Packages > very long numbersandletters > Border and Swirl.sfv

incidentally ... if it's only an hour since you saved that Text format - perhaps PM is deciding whether it wants to find it or not? Software with attitude .....
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:46 AM   #13
Old Boot

. . very good. ."Software with attitude ....." . . Like nails in one's underpants?!?!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...