Vegas 64 v.s. 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 64 v.s. 32

Has anyone tried the Vegas 9 64 version v.s the 32 version (on a 64bit system of course)?
I'm not sure I see any difference in behavior(eg. CPU utilization, smoothness of HD clips playing,etc.) Thanks, Bill
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William LiPera View Post
Has anyone tried the Vegas 9 64 version v.s the 32 version (on a 64bit system of course)?
Yes

Quote:
I'm not sure I see any difference in behavior(eg. CPU utilization, smoothness of HD clips playing,etc.) Thanks, Bill
Ok. Then choose what works best for you.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Should I be seeing a difference. Am I missing something? Thanks
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Depends greatly on your machine, and what you are doing with video. Differences are very obvious on my machines.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What differences do you see?
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

I've done photo montages on both the 32 and 64 bit versions. The 64 bit version both handles it better and renders MUCH faster. I'm getting real-time renders on the 64-bit version now. Much better than waiting an hour or two for the same render.

But, it depends on exactly what you're doing. It also depends on what plugins you need. Not all work in the 64-bit version yet.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes 64 bit is faster for me for editing.

One thing to be wary of is however is that if you edit in 64 bit and then bring the project into 32bit for plugins like Magic bullet. Do not bring it back into 64 bit or you will lose all of your magic bullet settings. I did this recently and lost a bunch of work.

Quote:
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Interesting that you guys see the 64-bit version render faster. I'm new to Vegas 9 -- I've been using Vegas 5 until now -- and had the same questions about 32 vs 64.

I just rendered the same project with both, and the 32-bit took just over 9 minutes to render, the 64-bit took 13 minutes to render. I don't do the intesive stuff you guys do. Project was just under 6 minutes on the timeline, a bunch of still photos with zoom/pan movement and several Cineform 1080i video clips, all being rendered to 720x480 MPEG2 for regular DVD format, using a 2-pass VBR render. Machine is a i7 920 with 12GB RAM on Vista 64 SP1.

The difference I saw was significant enough that I figured the 32 bit must be the faster version. Based on your comments, I'll keep working with both until I see definitively which one works faster for me.

Last edited by Brian Kennedy; August 17th, 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Oops, Vegas 5 not Vegas 6 previously
Brian Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Well,

I don't use Vista, I don't have an i7, I don't use Cineform, and I don't generally render to Mpeg2. So maybe the 32bit version is faster for those things.

I use a dual quadcore, Lagarith/Mpeg4/DNxHD/JP2k on the timeline and as finishing codecs, and I run XP64 on the laptop and Win7 on the editing machine.

So Win32 may certainly be faster for what you're doing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...