A clip I did in Vegas 5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 13th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Hmm- how could I do that...use a "color" compositing mode to blend them? -->>>

I think you could just put them all on a separate track. Can you send me a full color JPG or PNG of one of those frames?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Not sure if this would work but I will offer it up because it seems to make sense.

I find the secondary color corrector can choose more than just one color. If I make my selection over a yellow flower and extend it to an adjacent red flower when I desaturate the picture only yellow and red show. I need to be careful to have one flower overlapping the other so there is no other color between them.

So since we are unable to make a selection on the yellow, then click the control key and make another color selection, thereby grabbing two colors I figure you can fool Vegas. I haven't tried this and have to run out or I would do it....

Take a snapshot of one frame with all the colored balloons. Put it in photosop and move one balloon next to another...possibly cut them in half and but the left half of yellow balloon to the right half of red balloon. Put this still on the timeline and select the two balloons. Copy the properties to another color corrector that you would use with the clip...or use the effect on the entire track so it works the still and the clip. If this works, then you could do it with three balloons.

Would this work?
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Edward yeah I've been looking for a time to use that effect. However my first intention was to have the balloon clip start in greyscale then have each of the 4 balloons light up in color after one another. Problem was I couldn't figure out how to choose more than one color with the Secondary Color corrector.
Have you tried using 4 secondary color correctors?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #19
Wrangler

Great job Glenn. Where did the music come from?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #20
Wrangler

Glenn:Have you tried using 4 secondary color correctors?

Problem is if you add one the rest of the image is desaturated so you can't make a color selection for the second one. Unless....you can make multible secondary color correctors and make color selections on each PRIOR to reversing the mask and desaturationg the other colors. Then again, still, once you go back to desaturate the background of the first color corrector it's going to counteract the other ones....*just thinking out loud here*

Michael:Great job Glenn. Where did the music come from?

The track is entitled "Reunion" off the Children of Dune TV series soundtrack.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Yep, all previous praise echoed here too. Looks and sounds great.

I'm also interest to know what camera you used and what settings, in particular with regard to the rack focus with the flowers clip. Are you one of the lucky ones with a zoom ring or are you just super-dextrous?

Again, nice job.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #22
Wrangler

Thanks Ian. All shots were done on a PD-170. The rack focus shot was achieved by opening the iris as wide as possible (lowering the depth of field) in addition to getting really close to the subject. I don't think my distance from the first set of flowers affected the ability to do a rack focus but made the effect look more drastic beings it occupied more of the frame.
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #23
Trustee

I still am amazed at what SOUND and MUSIC does for a picture ;)
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Glenn:Have you tried using 4 secondary color correctors?

Problem is if you add one the rest of the image is desaturated so you can't make a color selection for the second one. Unless....you can make multible secondary color correctors and make color selections on each PRIOR to reversing the mask and desaturationg the other colors. Then again, still, once you go back to desaturate the background of the first color corrector it's going to counteract the other ones....*just thinking out loud here*
Ok what about 5? :D
For one of them, limit just saturation with 0 minimum. The max should be high enough to get everything except for the balloons. Desaturate.

Then use the 4 other CCs for each balloon.

OR

Use *8* secondary color correctors.

Superimpose the video onto itself. You can use the CC to punch holes for each of the balloons to let the bottom layer show through.

Set each CC to alpha = 0, and the effect range on each color of each balloon.

And then set 4 CCs on the bottom track.
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #25

I would use 4 secondary color correctors BUT I WOULD DO IT ON FOUR SEPARATE COPIES OF THE CLIP. The secondary color corrector can make a mask for that one color. So you could use 4 of them on 4 clips to create 4 masks that let each individual color show through. Then put the B&W version for the background.

Glen, e-mail me a JPG or PNG from one of the balloon frames and I'll experiment.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Edward, good thinking there. I wonder which method renders the fastest and gives good results?
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #27
Wrangler

Edward- the jpg went out to you yesterday. Check your mail- if you don't have it I'll re-send it.

*Anyway, the only part I don't quite grasp is how this will work with multiple layers. In the Secondary Color Corrector when you make a selection for a "mask" that mask is only defines what the Secondary Color Corrector affects or doesn't affect on that layer. The mask doesn't denote transparancy to allow layers beneath to show.*
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #28

Glen, I never saw it. Try again and I'll keep a careful lookout for it.
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Back to commenting on the music part of this video. Glen I think the cutting of the music you did on the closing of your last recent Nurses' Day celebration was more impressive than this piece...and it was upbeat to meet the mood of the celebration.

I think you need to post that so people can comment on the cutting and pasting the clips to the music.

Don't you guys think so also??

heh heh
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
*Anyway, the only part I don't quite grasp is how this will work with multiple layers. In the Secondary Color Corrector when you make a selection for a "mask" that mask is only defines what the Secondary Color Corrector affects or doesn't affect on that layer. The mask doesn't denote transparancy to allow layers beneath to show.*
Alpha = transparency. In the secondary color corrector, you can set alpha to 0 (hence, the affected footage becomes transparent; you can invert mask to make everything else transparent). Does that make sense?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...