DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   improving AVI quality for rendering in Vegas 9.0? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/294000-improving-avi-quality-rendering-vegas-9-0-a.html)

Wajahat Abbasi August 18th, 2009 02:13 PM

improving AVI quality for rendering in Vegas 9.0?

i shoot in 16:9 , 30p using Canon XL2 ... in sony Vegas 9.0 my project setting is set to WIDE SCREEN all the way and i am rendering AVI files ...

after rendering every video i always feel i am losing quality of the video , they dont look that sharp as i watch the raw footage of the same video out of Vegas... is there a way i can impove the quality of my AVIs ? i am using the NTSC DV Widescreen default templete in Vegas 9.0

i am rendering 20 minutes of vidoes and my rendered files are around 5 GB

Eugenia Loli-Queru August 18th, 2009 05:06 PM

As long as you use the "match" icon in the project properties to use the exact same project properties as the source footage (that Vegas thinks it has), and as long as you don't add plugins on the footage, then you can export using a DV AVI template that corresponds to the project properties, and Vegas won't re-encode, and therefore you won't lose quality. But if you actually re-encode DV AVI you will lose a bit of quality each time. You can use an intermediate codec otherwise, e.g. Cineform, DNxHD etc.

Wajahat Abbasi August 18th, 2009 05:12 PM

i do use New Blue plug-ins ..that means i am losing quality if rendering the way i am ? what dose cineform do for me ?

Eugenia Loli-Queru August 18th, 2009 05:15 PM

Yeah, if you are using plugins, then smart-rendering won't work anymore for DV AVI, and so it will re-render. And any re-rendering to a delivery codec means some loss of quality.

BTW, what do you want to export for? Is this for archiving, exporting to send your footage to another editor to re-edit, or simply to export a file to watch on a PC/TV/web? Depending what your goals are, the exporting you must do is different.

Wajahat Abbasi August 18th, 2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru (Post 1239760)
Yeah, if you are using plugins, then smart-rendering won't work anymore for DV AVI, and so it will re-render. And any re-rendering to a delivery codec means some loss of quality.

BTW, what do you want to export for? Is this for archiving, exporting to send your footage to another editor to re-edit, or simply to export a file to watch on a PC/TV/web? Depending what your goals are, the exporting you must do is different.

i am actually sending it to be broadcast on TV .. i guess thats the reason i am not seeing that great quality ... so what the fix i am kinda new to this ... what codec should i use i am support to deliver AVI on DVDs

Eugenia Loli-Queru August 18th, 2009 05:20 PM

If it's broadcast TV, then, yeah, you export either in DV AVI, or in mpeg2. I guess what you get is what you are supposed to get... Make sure your project properties are correct, and the "rendering quality" is set to "best" in that dialog. Not much more you will be able to do.

Richard Hunter August 18th, 2009 05:32 PM

Sounds like the effects you are applying are degrading the quality. If these effects are really necessary, maybe you could try setting Vegas to process in 32 bit colour and see if it helps.

Richard

Wajahat Abbasi August 18th, 2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 1239875)
Sounds like the effects you are applying are degrading the quality. If these effects are really necessary, maybe you could try setting Vegas to process in 32 bit colour and see if it helps.

Richard

how do i do that? BTW i am using Vegas 9.0 on vista 64 BIT