DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Any Vegas Pro 9a book recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/294003-any-vegas-pro-9a-book-recommendations.html)

Philip Younger August 18th, 2009 02:49 PM

Any Vegas Pro 9a book recommendations

I am seriously considering buying Vegas Pro 9a but never used Vegas software and would like a good informative, well illustrated, step-by-step guide book that covers all the basics and sum - I can't find one book on Amazon for Vegas Pro 9!!!! amazing!

I know Sony do a video guide on DVD in their 'seminar series' - but WOW, what a price!! £75 on top of the (almost) £500 for the product - talk about coining it in!

Does anyone know of such a book? I do prefer a book, something I can hold, flick through etc

Mike Kujbida August 18th, 2009 04:49 PM

Douglas Spotted Eagle has a book in the works but his recent (serious) skydiving accident has forced him to slow down.
He's still working on it but isn't sure of the completion date.

Jason Robinson August 19th, 2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1239742)
Douglas Spotted Eagle has a book in the works but his recent (serious) skydiving accident has forced him to slow down.
He's still working on it but isn't sure of the completion date.

Holy crap . . . I heard about a videographer in a skydiving accident, but I thought for sure that wasn't him because it was in the UK.....

Any place we can get more info about Douglas?

Kenneth Anderson August 19th, 2009 01:59 PM

Philip - I just received the Sony book today "Digital Video & Audio Production...Vegas Pro 9 Software" specifically to get more educated about rendering options and workflow. This is what page 153 says about rendering - "We don't have the space in this book to fully discuss all of the file formats, templates, and customization options available in the Render As dialog but you can find plenty of resources on video and audio issue both online and at your local bookstore." doh! I also have DSE's (Vegas 9) book and it also lacks usable AVCHD rendering info (for a newby like me). These instructional DVDs look good, though I see you prefer a book - Sony Vegas video editing software training and DVD Architect tutorials by Gary Kleiner The Sony book does cover the basics however - Sony Creative Software - Digital Video and Audio Production - Introduction Good luck!

Kenneth Anderson August 19th, 2009 02:04 PM

Apologies - DSE's book was for Vegas 8. Hope he's doing ok!

Brian Kennedy August 19th, 2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1242835)
Holy crap . . . I heard about a videographer in a skydiving accident, but I thought for sure that wasn't him because it was in the UK.....

Any place we can get more info about Douglas?

People closer to DSE probably have a better resource, but he has a member page here, where he briefly describes his accident: Douglas Spotted Eagle's Page - Skydiver Network

David Dalton August 20th, 2009 01:05 PM

Phillip

I am not sure how much editing you have done, but if you want a step by step guide book, how about "Vegas 6 Revealed, The Official Guide" by Doug Sahlin. Although was written for version 6, it covers the basics of working with Vegas almost as a primer, starting from nothing and working up to track motion and rendering, with plenty of exercises.

And before forking out for a full version of Vegas, have you considered buying the Studio version and upgrading?

Philip Younger August 21st, 2009 06:18 AM

Thanks everyone for the info and sorry to hear about DSE's accident, hope he recovers well.

Mike Kujbida August 22nd, 2009 07:54 AM

"Live Life With No Regrets" Part One, for those of you who were wondering how Spot is doing.

Gary Brun August 22nd, 2009 08:39 AM

Thats one hell of a story!

Rob Croll August 27th, 2009 04:51 AM

Hi Phillip,

Nothing I like more than a book to cuddle up with at night. But did you know you can download a free trial of Vegas. You may not find the book you're after but Vegas is very intuitive so why not download the trial and have a play. Standard editing is easy and as I said before, intuitive. So the basics, get you up and running, no book required. Definately a book would be great to highlight all the bells and whistles. And most books I'd guess won't cover the "Black art" of rendering :)