DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas weirdness, and naming images with certain words.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/29656-vegas-weirdness-naming-images-certain-words.html)

Aaron Koolen July 26th, 2004 09:04 PM

Vegas weirdness, and naming images with certain words....

I've posted this on the Sony forums and my investigation seems to be bear out with other's observations/tests so thought I'd post this here just in case it helps someone else who's pulling their hair out.

I was trying to insert some still images into a Vegas 5 project the other day, but I kept getting errors saying that it was failing while parsing lines in the file...Now I then looked at the status bar in the Vegas explorer and noticed that it was seeing these images (jpg, tif and bmps) as CMX3600 EDL's and not images at all! I was going totally nuts and then had this strange idea that maybe there was some word in the filename it was using to identify the type. So I renamed the file in different ways and what I found was quite funny.

If I had the word 'TITLE' in the filename, all in uppercase then Vegas thought this file was a CMX3600 EDL. If I changed one of the letters to lowercase, all was fine. Of course, if I put other words there it was fine.

So, just a heads up as I had noticed on the Sony forums that others had had similar problems in the past with no resolution.

What I'd like to know, is if some of you with Vegas could try this. Place the word 'TITLE' anywhere in the filename and see what Vegas thinks of this. Either proving my finding or disproving doesn't matter to me, it all helps in solving my problem!

The issue is also present in Vegas 4.0

Aaron

Edward Troxel July 26th, 2004 09:36 PM

That is, indeed, interesting. I might have to test it out to verify it happens everywhere. Did you submit it to Sony Tech Support?

Aaron Koolen July 26th, 2004 11:09 PM

Edward, it'd be great if you could test it too, just to get more of a sample of people with/without the issue. Yes I posted to Tech Support via the website. Haven't heard anything yet.

Cheers
Aaron

Graham Bernard July 27th, 2004 01:51 AM

Can Confirm "TITLE" file title locks V5b too . ..

Immediately as I renamed a previously named PNG - in fact I've copied this to my Desktop and can read this as TITLE.png and can simultaneously read bit at once - I get TITLE.png on my desktop and TITLE.png in V5b "Import Media" details view BUT as you say the "File type" is CMX3600 EDL: Avid/Final. Also when I then go ahead and attempt to Import this TITLE.png V5b is now locked and I'll need to crash out of it!. .Well spotted Aaron!

Now here's something interesting .. While in Import Media I then Copied it back onto my desktop. This gives me a file named "Copy of TITLE" - as you'd expect - and it is being seen as this EDL thing. I then do a Copy of this "Copy of .. " Ok . . Well, on this "Copy of .. " I think I'll try Aaron's "rename" WHILE I'm in Import Media. This I do too. I rename it "tHING" - I haven't touched the PNG part just renamed the file name .. that's all! Guess what? In the "File type" it is then recognised as a PNG and the EDL thing has gone away! The tHING.png gets to be loaded into the V5b project. . .it doesn't crash and it is seen as a Thumbnail and is seen within Preview too. All is normal again.

It would appear that there maybe some "protected" nomenclatures in the naming of files for Vegas. Hmmm.. this is potentially serious . .

Interesting Aaron, thank you for the "Heads Up". But this doesn't get to the core of the issue, does it!

Grazie

Graham Bernard July 27th, 2004 01:56 AM

V4 and V5 comparison ..

. . just repeated experiment in Vegas version 4. No problem. Somewhere between V4 and V5 the use of "TITLE" has got protected . . don't ask me why .. maybe "protected" aint the correct word. But in V4 "TITLE.png" works but fails and locks in Vegas 5b.

Does this help Aaron or Edward?

Grazie

Graham Bernard July 27th, 2004 02:11 AM

MS "Copy of TITLE" naming also crashes V5b . ..

Another thing Aaron. The "Copy of TITLE" wont import either .. .even though it has a title - although given by MS - as "Copy of TITLE" .. So, copying and the naming system doesn't actually give a difference to TITLE in the end resuklt .. and yes this "Copy of TITLE" is presently locking and crashing Vegas 5b . . not good . . .

Grazie

Tor Salomonsen July 27th, 2004 06:22 AM

The Americans just don't understand about titles, do they, Grazie? Not like you British lot.
Anyway, you might add Hairy Potter to your byline.
Tor

Graham Bernard July 27th, 2004 07:02 AM

DONE!

Edward Troxel July 27th, 2004 07:13 AM

Had a file named image03.jpg. Changed it to imaTITLEge03.jpg and it did, indeed, change to the CMX EDL setting. Then changed it to imaTITLege03.jpg and it was fine again. Definitely seems to be something related to "TITLE" in all uppercase.

Graham Bernard July 27th, 2004 07:27 AM

The question here Edward is/are there any "other" titles/names we can't use? Not a clever postion to be in.

I remember once giving a "protected" title to a database field in a cut down version of Rbase - a derivative of dbase - it almost smashed outta the screen at me! - It screwed up a relational database I had design. Anything on this scale? If it thinks TITLE is a valuable name and it is thinking "EDL" a type of database .. well stranger things have happened at sea - yes/no?

Grazie

Edward Troxel July 27th, 2004 07:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : The question here Edward is/are there any "other" titles/names we can't use?-->>>

I don't know.

Dennis Vogel July 27th, 2004 08:17 AM

This is strange. Shouldn't Vegas rely on file suffixes to determine what kind of file it is rather than some characters in the name? Or is this a naming convention used by the software that these EDL files are typically used with (Avid?)?

I could see how Vegas would be constrained to following that convention if it was standard with those tools. Otherwise, it sounds like a bug.

Dennis Vogel

Graham Bernard July 27th, 2004 08:30 AM

Dennis - yup! . . . If looks like a Duck .. if sounds like a Duck .. well . ..

Grazie

Aaron Koolen July 28th, 2004 04:55 PM

One of the tech support guys saw the post on the Sony forums and they've t entered the defect into their bug tracking system. Who knows when/if it will be fixed. At least there's a easy work around.

Thanks for testing it guys.

Aaron

Graham Bernard August 1st, 2004 12:33 AM

Aaron, somebody else has "tracked" the issue to another related error - same upper case TITLE thing .. Here yah go . . . it's on the Sony Vegas Forum .. you may have missed it - it comes in at about half way through the thread:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...lies=16&Page=0

Grazie