Is there a "Vegas 5 for Dummies" Book? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there a "Vegas 5 for Dummies" Book?

Hi,

Just new to digital video and video editing, would like to hear your sugestions about a great book for covering the basics (capture to rendering) on Vegas 5.0.

I intend to record some DVD and record to Tape as well.

Could you help me?

Kindest Regards from Brazil,
Gustavo
Gustavo Nardelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Wrangler

There's only one book out that I know of for Vegas and it's written by our very own Douglas Spotted Eagle and published by CMP Books.

Also check out VASST.com for various Vegas/DVDA training.

Between that and this forum you should be good to go!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Those topics are covered in my newsletter. Just click on the link below my name. Specifically, look at the "Beginner's Corner" articles.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : There's only one book out that I know of for Vegas ... -->>>
There's also Naked Vegas 5: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Naked Vegas by Doug Sahlin is the closest thing to a Vegas for Dummies book. It's very solution oriented with less emphasis on the underlying details. It will give you a quick jump start with Vegas. Each chapter contains a skills review and small project to review what you've learned.

Vegas 4 Editing Workshop by Douglas Spotted Eagle really gets into the details of Vegas and discusses all the tools. It's an invaluable reference.

I find both books to be very helpful and not overlapping.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:44 AM   #6

Only thing to be cautious of is the Naked book is full of errors. I had a guy write me a 2 page letter of all the "mistakes I'd made in my new Vegas book." I'd heard about Naked Vegas, but didn't own it. So, went to buy the book, and found the author's name to be very similar to mine in 2 of 3 initials. Sure enough, fades, pan/crop, and other things are mis-written. Nevertheless, it's got some good content.

We'll have the "Instant Vegas" book out soon, plus our "Introduction to Vegas" and "Introduction to DVD Architect" DVDs are shipping now, available from Videoguys and B&H.
"Advanced Audio" for Vegas 5 is shipping next week.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Where can I order Vol 1 through Vol 3 of the Vegas training DVD's. The vasst web site states they are shipping Aug 1st and it is now Aug 2nd and I do not see any way of adding them to my cart.

Also, it states that Vol 1 and Vol 2 will only be available through Sony dealer locations. Does anyone know what Sony dealer locatations they are talking about.

Basically, I just want to know what web site I can order these volumes from now. I don't want to buy them from a store but from a web site.
Dan Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Also, I am not sure what other training DVD's are out as I just bought the Vegas 5 plus DVD bundle from Bhphoto that has a few other programs with it.

Anyone know what training DVD's I can get my hands on now for that complete package that I am still waiting on in the mail.

thanks,
Dan Melius
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks, I didn't read through your post and found a way to order through Videoguys for the first two volumes.

thanks,
Dan
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM   #10
Major Player

I just got the Naked book. I couldn't wait for Douglas' book and I like working from books better than dvds.

Anyway, it's okay. It's pretty light and I think it's a good primer. It puts you in touch with the most used tools and how to use them. You won't be teaching classes when you get finished but it will get you started.

Could someone please post a review of the dvds after you've been through them.

Thanks
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:31 AM   #11
Major Player

Naked Vegas 5

Reid,

I agree 100% with you regarding the Naked Vegas book. I'll probably also buy DSE's Instant Vegas book when it's available. I like the solution oriented approach of Naked Vegas to give a quick start on a topic or feature, and until DSE's book is available, it's the only one of its kind.

DSE mentioned there were errors in the Naked book. If you or others with the book find errors we should post them. I haven't found any yet, but I haven't tried many of the projects.

If you haven't already done so, don't overlook downloading the last chapter to the Naked book. It covers Magic Bullet, Graffiti LTD and command markers.

I also have DSE's Vegas 4.0 Editing Workshop and Vegas 5 FASST DVDs. They're excellent and I find I learn more practical info from them then the books. I've also ordered Vegas 5 Companion and DVD Authoring with DVD Architect 2.0 DVD sets by Gary Kleiner (www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com). I've read some good things about his training DVDs and I'm looking forward to receiving them.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Man I wish Douglas or someone would have given me a heads up on that vegas deal from videoguys. I just bought vegas 5 plus DVD from Bh photo 2 days ago for 699 and bought the three DVD's yesterday from the videoguys web site. Today videoguys put a special out that has vegas 5 plus DVD for 699 and all three DVD's came with it for free. I lost out on 160 dollar savings by one day. It does not pay to buy stuff on the first day of its release. I will be watching an waiting for a few weeks on any future DVD's that are released by Douglas to see what kind of deals are offered:(
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #13
Major Player

Ouch. That does kind of hurt. But look at it this way, you probably would have just squandered that money on cheap liquor and loose women and you'd have nothing to show for it.

I'm going to try the dvd's after I finish this Naked book. I haven't run across the errors yet, but I'm really more skimming and getting right to the exercises.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

There may still be hope. I could send back the unopened Vegas+DVD that arrives tomorrow to BHphoto and re-order it at videoguys on the condition that they let me in on the deal and give me 160 dollars off of the purchase, since my three training DVD's are also due to arrive tomorrow.

Of course this will delay me getting started for a week or so. Anyone think it is worth the hassle. Actually, I haven't been spending my money on wild women as I spent all that money on 8,500 dollars worth of video equipment two months ago.
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #15

Dan, sorry to hear about the deal for the discs. We didn't know Videoguys would be doing a free bundle for Vegas...But we're happy about it.
Vegas 5 series Volumes 1&2 are only available from Sony dealers, and are lower priced. Volumes 3-9 are available from VASST, we'll send mail blasts with discounts to those registered on our training site.
Thanks for the interest!
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...