DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas can do that! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/29878-vegas-can-do.html)

Patrick King July 31st, 2004 09:51 AM

Vegas can do that!

Just for Vegas users. I have read many posts in this community questioning why Premiere can't do things, like this one:

<<<-- Originally posted by Hans Henrik Bang : I have a scene that is supposed to look stressful, and then it calms down. I would therefore like to slow it down gradually, going from speed 400% to 100%. That should include the music track with "maintain original pitch".

My problem is that I cannot keyframe the speed attribute, so it remains constant for the entire scene. Any ideas on how to achieve that? -->>>

Vegas can do this pretty simply with Velocity Envelopes. I use Premiere Pro some but try to avoid it just because I learned to edit in Vegas and feel more comfortable.

My question is: Does Vegas really have that much more on these other editors, or am I just seeing posts that Vegas happens to do well? I'm asking because I've recently thought I should invest a serious amount of time in learning Premiere Pro, but the more I read these type posts, I ask myself if its worth it. No flames, just feedback from folks who work both.

Randy Stewart July 31st, 2004 01:19 PM

Patrick,
I don't use Premiere but have heard Douglas Spotted Eagle, who has used both extensively, say many times how much better it is to edit in Vegas than Premiere. You might do a forum search to find what others have said. Hope this helps.
Randy

Glenn Chan July 31st, 2004 02:21 PM

Vegas is more powerful IMO.

Audio tools are wonderful and blow Premiere away.

Compositing seems to be better in Vegas. Color correction is better in Vegas (premiere doesn't seem to have a secondary color corrector).

Not everyone may need all of Vegas's features.

You might also work slower in Vegas if cannot get a good workflow for it. You have to be careful about media management (which Vegas doesn't do as well as other NLEs).

Edward Troxel July 31st, 2004 09:06 PM

One problem with this is that Vegas will NOT variably adjust the audio. There is no velocity envelope for audio. But it IS very powerful for adjusting speeds of video. While Premiere doesn't do either, Vegas can do half.

Van Lam July 31st, 2004 10:20 PM

To be Fair, some things PP can do that Vegas can't are:

1. Intergration with After Effects, Photoshop, Encore, etc.

2. Nested Timelines

Vegas still rocks though!

Glen Elliott August 1st, 2004 12:39 AM

1. Intergration with After Effects, Photoshop, Encore, etc.

Then you could say Vegas is integrated with Sound Forge, Acid, etc. In other words being "integrated" with other programs in their company's line-up is a given.

I've used both..... I prefer Vegas ten fold.

Edward Troxel August 1st, 2004 05:43 AM

Of course there are things Premiere can do that Vegas can't. That wasn't the theme of this thread. There are also many other things Vegas can to that Premiere can't. BTW, Vegas WILL work just fine with AE and Photoshop but, I'll agree, Premiere is more tightly integrated with them.

Van Lam August 1st, 2004 03:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : 1. Intergration with After Effects, Photoshop, Encore, etc.

Then you could say Vegas is integrated with Sound Forge, Acid, etc. In other words being "integrated" with other programs in their company's line-up is a given.

I've used both..... I prefer Vegas ten fold.
-->>>

Of course, I do too. But I don't think Vegas' Competitors suck either. I just meet way too many Vegas users who completely disreguard it's competitors (Like PP & FCP). I'm just just trying to let this zealot minority know that each program has it's strenths and weaknesses.

Dan Melius August 1st, 2004 10:51 PM

Can you change the brightness contrast with vegas?

I have not seen anything for changing color or brightness in my older version of Adobe Premier 6.

I just got done filming 7 concerts and 4 of them came out perfect as I was hooked up directly to the sound board on my modified VX2100 camera and was under bright stage lights. However, the other three were filmed in room lighting and the light from the outside coming into the windows of a church. Halfway through the concerts the sun went down and my manual white balance created to much red in the performers faces and the exposure setting changed dramatically. Actually, I corrected it fine on my TV by turning the brightness up four clicks and dropping the red down.

However, I want to be able to do this on my computer and then export back to digital tape. Is Sonic Foundry Vegas Video the answer as Adobe Premier 6.0 doesn't have anything to change color or brightness of the video? If it does I have not ever been able to find it in three years of looking.

I am new to owning two VX2100's and found it easier to film perfectly ligted concerts than those that were not. I should have turned the gain up when the lighting got worse but didn't.

Glen Elliott August 1st, 2004 10:57 PM

Of course, I do too. But I don't think Vegas' Competitors suck either. I just meet way too many Vegas users who completely disreguard it's competitors (Like PP & FCP). I'm just just trying to let this zealot minority know that each program has it's strenths and weaknesses. -->>>

I think it's actually quite the other way around. Vegas isn't often given respect. Some stark Vegas users can come across as zealots or defensive because of this. After all I was once a Premiere snob- I thought, "Vegas who?...lol". I never heard much about Vegas so the few times that I did I wrote it off completly.

After a while seeing how passionate it's users were about the program I decided to eat a little crow and give it a shot. Haven't looked back since.

Dan Melius August 1st, 2004 11:03 PM

Now is it Sony Vegas or Sonic Foundry vegas as I am finding searches for both?

Glen Elliott August 1st, 2004 11:07 PM

Yes Vegas has:

1. Color Corrector
2. Secondary Color Corrector
3. Color Curves
4. Brightness/Contrast

...filters. Take your pick.

In all fairness, however, Premiere 6 does have filters to adjust the "brightness/contrast".

Peter Wright August 2nd, 2004 02:38 AM

Two things:

You'll find many many people, including me, who have come from Premiere to Vegas. It's hard to find any traffic going the other way!

It's not just a question of whether an NLE program does a particular thing, it's HOW it does it. Vegas is a real pleasure to use - it does an amazing range of things very smoothly.

Peter

Tor Salomonsen August 2nd, 2004 03:09 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : One problem with this is that Vegas will NOT variably adjust the audio. There is no velocity envelope for audio. But it IS very powerful for adjusting speeds of video. While Premiere doesn't do either, Vegas can do half. -->>>

Vegas does indeed come with 14 (V4) automatable audio effects, including Compression, Noise Gate, EQ and reverb. These can be applied to an audio track and their settings adjusted dynamically with keyframes.
Vegas also has a separate volume envelope that you can apply to any audio track and adjust as you wish. It is easy to edit out coughs and the like with it, but this is much more practical in Sound Forge.

Edward Troxel August 2nd, 2004 07:42 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tor Salomonsen : <<<-- Vegas does indeed come with 14 (V4) automatable audio effects, including Compression, Noise Gate, EQ and reverb. These can be applied to an audio track and their settings adjusted dynamically with keyframes.
Vegas also has a separate volume envelope that you can apply to any audio track and adjust as you wish. It is easy to edit out coughs and the like with it, but this is much more practical in Sound Forge. -->>>

But those don't adjust the SPEED of the audio. The question was about velocity.