how to remove noise from the audio track? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 20th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to remove noise from the audio track?

I shot a press conference where someone pushed away my mic from the speaker (person on the stage ) and I was not able to bring the mic closer to her …

Now I have the audio recorded very low … hardly can hear any thing.. in order to fix that problem I duplicated the audio track in Vegas … after make 10-12 duplicate audio tracks I am able to hear the subject but there is a constant ‘fizzzzzzz’ kind of noise attached to it as well, due to so many duplicate tracks . is there is way I can get rid of this noise?

I am not at my editing computer right now but I’ll be able to upload a sample of that audio in evening if someone wants to take a look at it …
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Major Player

I think it might be time for a noise reduction plugin, it won't work wonders though! I use Waves noise reduction and its works quite well. Sony has a good one too!
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

noise reducing plug-in in vegas ?

have some one experinced some thing like this ..

any soultion?
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Trustee

You should not need to duplicate the audio track just to make it louder. You can simply increase the gain or add a volume envelope to boost the level.

Of course, this will also boost the background noise level, which is why you are hearing a fizzing sound. The Sony Noise Reduction plugin can be very effective in cleaning up this type of problem audio, especially if the noise is fairly consistent over time.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
You should not need to duplicate the audio track just to make it louder. You can simply increase the gain or add a volume envelope to boost the level.

Of course, this will also boost the background noise level, which is why you are hearing a fizzing sound. The Sony Noise Reduction plugin can be very effective in cleaning up this type of problem audio, especially if the noise is fairly consistent over time.

Richard
Sony Noise Reduction plugin , is that within Sony Vegas ? how do i use it ?
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi View Post
Sony Noise Reduction plugin , is that within Sony Vegas ? how do i use it ?
Not sure if the NR plug-in comes with Vegas. It comes with Sound Forge, and they also sell it as standalone (though as standalone, it costs nearly as much as packaged with Sound Forge).
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kennedy View Post
Not sure if the NR plug-in comes with Vegas. It comes with Sound Forge, and they also sell it as standalone (though as standalone, it costs nearly as much as packaged with Sound Forge).
i have sound Forge but never used it ...

is there is specific way to remove fizzz from the sound ?
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

FIRST Do not duplicate the track. Go back to the original only. Then go in to the Non-real time FX and go to the VOLUMN plugin. Set it to about +4 and render the track. Don't worry about the noise yet. Get the level up first. If it's not enough add an envelope and raise it more or use the level adjustment in the track header or raise the level on the bus to that track. You did add a seperate bus right?
Anyway get the level of the voice to about 12 on the master bus meter THEN work on the noise.
BTW Vegas does not have NR, Sound Forge does but before you go to that, try the Track EQ in the track header. It sounds like if you go to that and go to the #2 dot try these settings. Freq=150, Gain=-inf, Bandwidth=1.5 and see how that works. You may need to adjust the 3 settings a little at a time to get the majority of the noise gone. It works for me.
Now as for SF NR-first set SF as your default audio program. Then find some air in the audio, where the person has stopped speaking but you can hear the noise. Split the track there open SF and get a Noise Print. Save it. Once you have that go back to Vegas undo the split in the track (control Z) and bring the track into SF (open copy in audio editor). Run the NR program and see how it sounds. Also, it's better to take little bites than try to get it all at once. That way if you go too far, you can always go to the previous take and adjust from there. Also keep in mind you might need more than 1 thing to eliminate it. A combination of track eq or graphic eq and NR might be needed. You'll need to play a bit.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
FIRST Do not duplicate the track. Go back to the original only. Then go in to the Non-real time FX and go to the VOLUMN plugin. Set it to about +4 and render the track. Don't worry about the noise yet. Get the level up first. If it's not enough add an envelope and raise it more or use the level adjustment in the track header or raise the level on the bus to that track. You did add a seperate bus right?
Anyway get the level of the voice to about 12 on the master bus meter THEN work on the noise.
BTW Vegas does not have NR, Sound Forge does but before you go to that, try the Track EQ in the track header. It sounds like if you go to that and go to the #2 dot try these settings. Freq=150, Gain=-inf, Bandwidth=1.5 and see how that works. You may need to adjust the 3 settings a little at a time to get the majority of the noise gone. It works for me.
Now as for SF NR-first set SF as your default audio program. Then find some air in the audio, where the person has stopped speaking but you can hear the noise. Split the track there open SF and get a Noise Print. Save it. Once you have that go back to Vegas undo the split in the track (control Z) and bring the track into SF (open copy in audio editor). Run the NR program and see how it sounds. Also, it's better to take little bites than try to get it all at once. That way if you go too far, you can always go to the previous take and adjust from there. Also keep in mind you might need more than 1 thing to eliminate it. A combination of track eq or graphic eq and NR might be needed. You'll need to play a bit.

ill try this tonight will let you know the result
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Whatever electronic methods you try are probably going to fail. The problem isn't low volume, it's that the noise contains too many elements in the same frequency range as the voice.

Yes, a semi-intelligent Noise Reduction process may bring intelligible audio out, but it will sound odd. Nothing you can really use for pro work. Reason being, it will have to remove too much of the voice to remove the noise.

I'm going to suggest trying a social approach. Find someone that was there and has a better soundtrack, and try to get a copy of it. Ask nicely and you might be surprised.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

while I MIGHT agree in principal, I cannot agree totally in actuality. I've remove MOST not all of many different noises using various electronic methods and since we realy don't know what kind of noise it is, I find it hard to agree with the statement. I agree the problem isn't low volume except it is. The mic was placed in a position that didn't allow for the levels to be correctly set and noise invaded the space. The more he raises the levels, the more noise is heard. However much of the noise might be able to be removed and the track made usable enough that it would be passable and at this point that's a win.
If it was a news conference like I've covered you don't ask someone (a competitor) for their audio track or video or anything. That's a quick way to set yourself up for ridicule and since no one is probably going to help you anyway, fix it as best as possible and move on.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
i tried doing this and i was lost in between....i tried fixing it thru Forge which kinda helped bring the fizz down but the voice has a lot of base added to it
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
while I MIGHT agree in principal, I cannot agree totally in actuality. I've remove MOST not all of many different noises using various electronic methods and since we realy don't know what kind of noise it is, I find it hard to agree with the statement. I agree the problem isn't low volume except it is. The mic was placed in a position that didn't allow for the levels to be correctly set and noise invaded the space. The more he raises the levels, the more noise is heard. However much of the noise might be able to be removed and the track made usable enough that it would be passable and at this point that's a win.
If it was a news conference like I've covered you don't ask someone (a competitor) for their audio track or video or anything. That's a quick way to set yourself up for ridicule and since no one is probably going to help you anyway, fix it as best as possible and move on.

u are right ! but i dont know any one who was there that day :(
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

You've never actually told us what you need it for. If it's just to make a transcript, or post on a blog, then the quality doesn't really matter.

But if you must beg/borrow/steal a good soundtrack, Don might make a good point - you wouldn't want to reveal to a competitor that you don't have the footage. Just wait until they put it up and steal it. Not that we would ever recommend such an underhanded thing! :)
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
You've never actually told us what you need it for. If it's just to make a transcript, or post on a blog, then the quality doesn't really matter.

But if you must beg/borrow/steal a good soundtrack, Don might make a good point - you wouldn't want to reveal to a competitor that you don't have the footage. Just wait until they put it up and steal it. Not that we would ever recommend such an underhanded thing! :)
hahaha thats a good one !

u know i mighth try youtube some one must have done it

its for TV !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...