Project properties settings.What do you use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Trustee

Project properties settings.What do you use?

Hola chicos, if i have to render hdv footage i use this to have the best quality:

Hdv 1080-50i
Fiel order:upper field first
Pixel aspect ratio:1,333
Full resolution:good (when should i change in best?)
motion blur:gaussian
Deinterlace method: Interpolate fields (when should i set none?
I usually set "blend fiels" whaen i edit SD footage).

Thx MM
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

can someone pipe in if I'm wrong;

Field order:upper field first: set to none if using/want progressive
Full resolution:good: According to someone in the know here, could be DSE, "best" setting offers nothing extra unless you are mixing formats or using large photos that are being cropped and panned
Deinterlace method: interpolate for motion, blend for non motion
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

It depends what kind of HDV camera you have. I have written here an explanation for the various HDV sub-formats and how to handle them: Sony Vegas project properties
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Thx, my cam is a z1
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

project Settings

I set my properties dependent on the camera I am using. I use the best rendering setting if I am scaling the footage down from original in any case. And yes Mike the manual says use interpolate if there is much motion in the file and blend if the footage is more static. I have sticked to that and have had some success!
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Marcus

If you are importing interlaced footage (you say it's 1080i) and you are exporting to either HD or SD and watching on a TV most people suggest that leave de-interlacing to none. You already have interlaced footage so unless you are rendering to progressive then let Vegas do the work!!
The only time it's necessary to de-interlace is if you are cropping or zooming the footage (that's why the Vegas default is "none") In fact even if the raw footage is interlaced you can easily render it to progressive by setting the default upper field in the render box to progressive.

Take at look at What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies for some info on when to de-interlace

I personally shoot on 1080i and never de-interlace and then render out to either SD or HD
Also remember that even if your camera is shooting a 1920x1080i format the file will be a 1440x1080 for Vegas because the horizontal pixel aspect is not square but 1.3333 : 1
(1440 x 1.333 = 1920)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...