autodesk smoke / lustre dpx sequence into vegas 9.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

autodesk smoke / lustre dpx sequence into vegas 9.0

hi folks,

has anyone out there tried to open dpx sequences into vegas 9.0 yet? i have a 14 minute short film that was shot on Red Camera then graded in Autodesk Smoke and Lustre and wanted to get it back into Vegas so i could then use my system to do any other renders (HD, SD, mp4, etc) and so i could do any other tweaks if necessary (titling. credits, etc).

we did an output test of 50 frames (they're 11MB/frame!) and when i open them in Vegas i get to frame 24 before it tells me i've ran out of RAM which is disappointing to say the least. the Autodesk guy said that it sounds like vegas is trying to cache them in RAM to play back whereas their systems play directly from the disk.

my system is Q6600, 4Gb RAM, 1TB RAID, nVidia GeForce 8600. not a beast but more than adequate for most things - i'm wondering how much RAM you'd need for a 14 minute film if 4Gb is needed for 24 frames!

basically, if there is no remedy for this vegas' support for importing dpx sequences seems practically useless although exporting dpx does seem to have some use.

any advice? whats an advisable video format to get the file back into vegas, bearing in mind i might re-render this file for output to DVD, etc?

many thanks,

baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Major Player

i was under the impression veg9 could only export dpx, not open. it can open native red files though!
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

native Red editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Calla View Post
i was under the impression veg9 could only export dpx, not open. it can open native red files though!
yes it can open the native Red files which was useful.

we did the offline in FCP in someone else's suite using the mov proxy files - i wanted to take an EDL from FCP to Vegas but found that Vegas will not read the time of day timecode from the Red files which is what FCP was seeing. there is also Edge timecode on the Red files which Vegas doesn't see either. hopefully someone will tell me I'm wrong on both these counts and tell me how i can see this timecode information.

re the dpx import into vegas they were 2k files that i was trying to import, hope someone has some ideas...

cheers,

baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...