DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas downloadable demo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/30341-vegas-downloadable-demo.html)

Bob Safay August 10th, 2004 11:53 AM

Vegas downloadably demo

I was looking at the Vegas editing program. On their web page it says you can download a free trail of Vegas or Vegas and DVD. Question, has anyone tried to download the demos? Do they let you try real editing? Is it good for a day, week, month? Should I buy Vegas over another product? I do training videos, nature and some weddings (mostly for the friends and relatives). I am not into indies at this time, but may do some after I retire. Thanks. Bob Safay

Edward Troxel August 10th, 2004 12:31 PM

The demo of Vegas is fully functional (with a few exceptions like MPEG and AC3) for 30 days. The demo of DVD Architect will let you build projects from AVI files (no MPEG2) but will not let you create a DVD. There IS a downloadable prepared DVD which you can use to test burn.

Ralph Morris August 10th, 2004 02:46 PM

My first editing program was Pinnacle DV followed by versions 7 and 8. They worked pretty well, but occasionally gave me fits, probably made worse by running WinMe. I occasionally still use S8 as a utility for some functions.

I downloaded the Vegas demo, worked with it for a few weeks, then bought V4 + DVDA. (now upgraded to V5 + DVDA2) I've never looked back. While there is a learning curve, the rewards are immediate, and the community is extremely helpful to beginners and experts alike.

I especially like the strong audio tools that come with Vegas, and while it's optional, I chose to add SoundForge for even stronger audio tools and tight integration between the two programs.

I whole heartedly recommend Vegas!

Bob Safay August 13th, 2004 09:02 AM

Hey guys thanks. This is what I love about this site. Edward, Vegas will output in MPEG2 won't it? I am getting ready to do a big project at Oak Ridge Reservation, TN (where they build the A bomb) in Sept and want to use a really good program. I will download the demo this week and play with it. I sure sounds like the perfect editing program. Bob

Edward Troxel August 13th, 2004 09:48 AM

The purchased version of Vegas handles MPEG 1 and 2 just fine. It also renders AC3 just fine as well. If you get Vegas+DVD, you can also turn that MPEG2 file into a fully authored DVD.

Bob Safay August 13th, 2004 10:04 AM

Edward, I do thank you for your help. One other question if you don't mind. I intend to do some DVD's as well as tapes. As I already have the Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 loaded, do I still need Vegas 5 + DVD or can I use Vegas 5 with my Roxio for DVD authoring? Bob Safay

Edward Troxel August 13th, 2004 10:37 AM

You could probably use the Roxio software with the output created by Vegas (don't know about the Roxio software as I've never used it). However, I think you will find DVDA is a more complete DVD solution with a lot more abilities - definitely worth the difference in amount.

Another thing to consider - AC-3 encoding COMES WITH DVD Architect. The AC-3 encoder sells separate for $280. The price difference for including DVDA is about $240. So, you get $40 off the price of the AC-3 encoder and the DVD Authoring program thrown in for free!

Bob Safay August 13th, 2004 11:06 AM

I think I am sold. Thanks so much for your help. I will try the demo and then get one. Thanks again. Bob

Patrick King August 13th, 2004 11:47 AM

Bob,
I'd have to say that if you do purchase Vegas or Vegas+DVDA, that you plan on acquiring one of the really good training videos that explain the product(s).

These videos are created by names you'll see on this forum, and they will help you TREMENDOUSLY. You'll enjoy your purchase much more and never have a minutes regret in going with Vegas if you'll get a little professional education to accompany your product.

Just my two cents...your mileage may vary.

Bob Safay August 16th, 2004 06:03 AM

Well I downloaded the demo yesterday at about 1:00 pm. By 8:00 pm I had a decent 6 min. video on whitewater rafting including transitions, natural sound, music, narration and titles. I must say I am impressed by how user friendly it is. I imagine that the real version is more powerful than the demo. For instance I could not figure out how to do a title over a videoclip. Also, I am assumeing that the quaility of my narration is based more on my using a $20.00 mic as apposed to the program. Anyway, so far I am impressed. Oh, Videoboys is offering the Vegas 5 + DVD at $700. and they give you both training DVD's. Any info about this company? Thanks, Bob Safay

Edward Troxel August 16th, 2004 07:52 AM

The demo and the purchased version are the same. In order to put your title OVER the video, insert another video track ABOVE the track where your video event is. Then put the title on that new track. If you put the title on the same track as your video, it will REPLACE it - instead you want it overlaid on top of the video so you place it on a track above that video.

Never heard of "videoboys" - but http://www.videoguys.com has the deal you speak of. Videoguys is a great company to work with.

Finally, you may want to check out my newsletters. Just click on the link below my name.

Patrick King August 16th, 2004 08:36 AM

Edward is being modest. He wrote "you may want to check out my newsletters". I'm telling you that you definately NEED to check out his newsletters. Great stuff!

Bob Safay August 16th, 2004 11:19 AM

Pat, I did check it out. You are right, a great site. Question. Do you all think using a $20 mic plugged into the computer imay be what is giving me low narration quaility? Should I try to lay down a narration track then do videos over it? Bob

Glenn Chan August 16th, 2004 12:34 PM

Quote:

Question. Do you all think using a $20 mic plugged into the computer imay be what is giving me low narration quaility?
IMO this is how the quality of narration breaks down:
#1 - copy / content (60%). What the narrator is saying should be interesting, should match the images on the screen, and the style should be appropriate for the material.
#2 - talent (25%). For documentaries, the narrator should mix up his/her read so it doesn't get monotonous. Having 'the voice of god' is nice too if it's appropriate.

Then comes technical things (maybe 15%).
#3/4- Mic used. It should either be pretty accurate (the voice sounds like what it is) or it should color the voice in a desireable way. Basically, does the talent sound good with the mic.
#3/4- Room acoustics. Typically you want very little reverb and no boominess (boominess comes from room modes/resonances). There should be as little background noise as possible.
#5- Compression. Whatever sounds good. You can use compression to bring out subtleties in the voice, to make it louder, and/or to even out the levels. You can add compression either as you're recording or in post. Quality depends on the plug-in or hardware used.
#6- Preamps, quality of A/D convertors. This affects how much noise there is, how much distortion, frequency response, etc.

To answer your question about narration quality, I'd work down from #1. As far as $20 mics you could probably get something better. On the other hand, some folks are satisfied with the audio quality from a cheap Radio Shack lav. Cheap mics generally suffer from distortion (affects intelligibility and compression), lots of noise, and poor frequency response (lacks bass). Depending on your tastes and your project, 'good enough' may be a recording where you can hear the words well (in which case a cheap Radio Shack lav could work).

Where I work, we use the AT4040 (<$300USD, large diaphragm studio condensor) a lot even though we have a much more expensive neumann mic. At the price range of the AT4040 you don't have to worry about the technical details as much as how the mic sounds on the talent. You want something accurate or something that colors the voice in a desireable way.

For mics, some of the best bets seem to be:
Dynamics (these color the sound): EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421
Condensors: Studio Projects C1, ?Oktava MC012? (accurate?)

You also need a preamp and analog-digital convertor. Some convertors come with preamps in them. You could also use your camcorder as an A/D convertor.

For cheap preamps, getting a UB series Behringer mixer would be the way to go ($60USD?).

Bob Safay August 18th, 2004 06:27 AM

I know this sounds stupid, but I cannot figure out how to insert a video clip into an existing project. Please help.