DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   After Rendering... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/312584-after-rendering.html)

Jamie Pippin August 23rd, 2009 09:50 AM

After Rendering...

When i render a clip in Vegas Premium 8.0 it adds black bars to the top and bottom of the clip. What can I do to fix this problem? I went to the crop tool and changed the setting to 4:3 hoping that none of the clip would be chopped off, but this just added black bars vertically on the clip. Me and my friend are making a short film currently and we send each other footage often. He too has this problem. So say he renders a clip to send to me, then I have to render it again for the final cut of the film. That cuts off twice as much from the top and bottom of the clip.

Help please!!! I just want to be able to render without any of the shot being cut off.

Don Bloom August 23rd, 2009 10:22 AM

what format is it shot in and what are the PROJECT PROPERTIES?

Make sure the PROJECT PROPERTIES match the format it was shot in and that shoul take care of it.

Jamie Pippin August 23rd, 2009 10:34 AM

I shoot in 4:3 always.

I don't have vegas on the computer I'm using right now...but what should i do with the properties if I'm shooting in 4:3?

Don Bloom August 23rd, 2009 11:14 AM

if you're shooting 4:3 sd then the properties (file>properties) should be set to;
TEMPLATE>NTSC DV 720X480
Width = 720
Height = 480
Pixel Aspect = 0.9091 NTSC DV

Also when rendering, make sure you are rendering to an 4:3 format. NTSC DV not NTSC DV Widescreen

That should take care of it.

Jamie Pippin August 23rd, 2009 05:45 PM

Thank you very much. I'll give these settings a try and let y'all know how they work out.

Chris Harding August 24th, 2009 06:20 AM

Hi Jamie

I assume this is footage from your GS320??? If you are confused with the media size and pixel aspect at any time then if you look at the properties window in the right hand top corner you will see a folder. Click on this and browse to your raw AVI files and select any one of them and click open and Vegas will identify the file for you and set the correct project properties for you. As Don says it should be the DV NTSC preset. This little trick does help if you cannot remember if the footage was 4:3 or 16:9!!

Also when you render the edited video, in the render window make sure you check the box to expand the video to fill the screen and if you are making this into a DVD, use the NTSC DVD preset, not the default setting.

Did you get your 320 to work again????

Chris

Jamie Pippin August 24th, 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1259704)
if you're shooting 4:3 sd then the properties (file>properties) should be set to;
TEMPLATE>NTSC DV 720X480
Width = 720
Height = 480
Pixel Aspect = 0.9091 NTSC DV

Also when rendering, make sure you are rendering to an 4:3 format. NTSC DV not NTSC DV Widescreen

That should take care of it.

I checked and I already render to these settings.

Don Bloom August 24th, 2009 03:10 PM

Hmmm, OK kinda got me stumped here.
Let's do some brainstorming.
What program are you using to capture the footage? If it's something that you can set capture settings maybe it's there?

Perhaps you can play some footage from you're capture device (I assume it's the camera) and play it back thru a 4:3 TV to see the original tape(s) and if it is being cutoff. If it is then it's in the camera settings, if it's not being cut off I would go back to Vegas reset the Pan/Crop and....WAIT! just thought of this (may or may not be it) go to the clip Properties (right click on the clip, all the way down to the bottom) click that and make sure the box 'Match Aspect Ration' is checked-if not try that. If it is, then uncheck it and see what happens.
After that, I gotta be honest, I'm not sure why the footage would be cropped.
Let us know how it works out.

Jamie Pippin August 25th, 2009 08:58 AM

Thanks for your time and patience with my silly problem. I know that the problem lies in Vegas. I know this because I used to render in Windows Movie Maker and it looked fine.

But I'm gonna give your suggestion a try in a little bit. I'll keep you informed.

Rob Croll August 27th, 2009 05:17 AM

This may be too simplistic an answer but when I had the same problem I did the following:
When rendering tick the "Stretch video to fill output frame" check box in the Render As form.
I’ve found terms like 16:9 not to be accurate “PAL Standard Definition Widescreen 16:9" is 720x576. If you do the sums 720:576 is not 16:9. I’m guessing one of your formats is not exactly 4:3.

Jamie Pippin August 27th, 2009 09:28 AM

I found that rendering to "dvd quality" instead of "keep originial size" getts rid of the annoying bars at the top and bottom, but now it cuts off a little bit from the sides. If I render the clip more than once it keeps cutting off more each time.

I suppose it's better than cutting off from the top and bottom for the type of filming i do.

Jason Robinson August 27th, 2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1263104)
I assume this is footage from your GS320???

The GS 320 is a native 16:9 camera (I have one) why are you shooting in 4:3 and using 4:3 project properties?

Jamie Pippin August 28th, 2009 04:40 PM

yes, I film in 4:3 and set all the project properties to 4:3.

Jamie Pippin September 3rd, 2009 07:24 PM

It usually only happens when I embed the video. But if I render twice it will show up on the original youtube or vimeo video.

Will these black lines show up if i put the video on a dvd?

Here's an example... http://vimeo.com/5069056

HELP!!! D:

Jamie Pippin September 4th, 2009 03:42 PM

bump.... :/