DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   MPEG2 and AC3 files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/31984-mpeg2-ac3-files.html)

Hugh DiMauro September 15th, 2004 01:02 PM

Dumb Question #766

I am trying to make a DVD and when I render my timeline footage as an MPEG-2 specifically for the Vegas DVD program, it wants me to render the video as MPEG-2 and the audio separate as AC-3.

How in hell to combine the audio and video when it comes time to
make a DVD movie?

HAAAAAAAAAALP!

Gary Kleiner September 15th, 2004 01:06 PM

As long as the two files have the same root name (myvideo.mpg and myvideo.ac3) and are in the same directory, DVDA will match them together when you bring in the video.

Gary

Hugh DiMauro September 15th, 2004 01:50 PM

WOW!

Who's better than you? Thanks!

Rob Lohman September 16th, 2004 01:54 AM

Or to give a bit more complete answer. You need to author your
DVD before it can be burned (most authoring applications can
burn as well). DVD Architect (DVDA) who you can buy with Vegas
is such a program and it will combine those two elementary
streams into one file etc. There are other authoring applications
as well, ofcourse.

Hugh DiMauro September 16th, 2004 01:15 PM

Thank you. I am using Vegas + DVD Architect 2.0a. When I render my project from the Vegas timeline, I just render the audio and video separate, right? Then save them in the same folder?

Rob Lohman September 17th, 2004 01:32 AM

That is correct.

Hugh DiMauro September 17th, 2004 06:06 AM

After I save the two separate files (one as an MPEG-2 suitable for the DVD Architect and AC-3 for sound), do I just go through the machinations of making the DVD by only clicking the MPEG file? And according to what you say, the DVD will be made by automatically picking up the sound file as long as it's in the same folder? I don't have to "attach" or do any special join between the two?

I know I must sound like a dolt, but I've wasted about six DVD-R disks screwing this thing up.

Cosmin Rotaru September 17th, 2004 06:24 AM

If your MPEG-2 file has audio embeded, DVD Architect will not open the ac3 file automaticaly. You will then delete the original audio track (stereo) and add the ac3 file (drag-n-drpo under the video track)

Rob Lohman September 17th, 2004 06:43 AM

I assume it is very clear in DVDA to see which track it choose and
you can always be safe by loading the AC3. I assume this is also
well covered in the manual.

If you don't want to waste any -R discs then simply get yourself
a -RW disc as well. That's why I do if I got to test something.
Most players do play it back (especially the +RW kind) and
otherwise use your computers DVD playing software to check.

Hugh DiMauro September 17th, 2004 07:02 AM

Ohhhh... I do kinda remember a clip track in DVD Architect. So then I drag and drop the AC-3 file underneath, line up the left edges of the video and audio tracks and click MAKE DVD and I'm good to go?

Man, I try reading the manual and it's like reading the owner's guide to the space shuttle.

But then again, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Cosmin Rotaru September 20th, 2004 06:29 AM

"So then I drag and drop the AC-3 file underneath"
Again, if the original clip has an audio track embeded, you end up with two audio tracks. (you can choose in your player which one to listen). If you want, you can remove the original audio track (delete).

There's the "optimize DVD" where you can see the info on audio track. Maybe you can see it in other place also. I just don't know DVDA very well...

Hugh DiMauro September 20th, 2004 06:56 AM

I did what you said. The sound and video imported itself on the timeline. Then I clicked "Make DVD" and it went through all the machinations except I didn;t see the picture render in the player and when the DVD finished, it would not play on any machine anywhere. What did I do wrong?