DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2005 10:54 AM

I have 3 AG-DV2000 decks (1 at church and 2 at home) and all three do pass-thru just fine. Going back to the original post, the basic settings look like they match mine. On the main display, do you have an A1 or A2? If yes, press the "Input Select" button until nothing is displayed there. THAT is the "firewire input" mode.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 10th, 2005 11:44 AM

Vegas Training at Stanford

http://"http://digitalmediaacademy.o...ets/vegas.html
offers a one-week course in Sony Vegas at Stanford's Digital Media Academy.
Great location, lotsa fun coming up there. Hope to meet a few of you!
Topics include HDV, Vegas, and general editing techniques.
Taught by Keith Kolbo and Douglas Spotted Eagle.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 10th, 2005 11:45 AM

Vegas Training at Stanford

http://digitalmediaacademy.org/cours...ets/vegas.html
offers a one-week course in Sony Vegas at Stanford's Digital Media Academy.
Great location, lotsa fun coming up there.
Topics include HDV, Vegas, and general editing techniques.
Taught by Keith Kolbo and Douglas Spotted Eagle. You can view the week-long agenda on their website. It's very exciting to see Vegas join the DMA lineup this year.
Hope to meet a few of you!

Mark Errante May 10th, 2005 12:03 PM

Emergency rendering question.

Ok so Im working in vegas 5 and am ready to render my AVIs out to Mpeg for DVD. Right now I will be using the MainConcept Encoder that came with vegas. My project has been in 2:3:3:2 24p timeline. I will be burning the DVD with Adobe Encore not architect...I dont have it. The only template for 24p in MainConcept is for Architect. Will this make any difference as far as encore is concerned or is it just an mpeg?

Also, the disc is right now about 1 hour 15 minuets. The audio has come from a recording studio and sounds amazing. Will I have to go to ac3 to fit it all on a standard DVD? If so is this the recomended thing to do anyway? Is the quality and compatibilty better with ac3? Or should I do PCM? I really want to get this right as Im on a tight timeframe and cant afford to render everything multiple times. Thanks!

Also is you have any sugestions concerning using MainConcept to optimize my 24p XL2 footage to keep it its best PLEASE let me know now. Thanks!

Kim Kinser May 10th, 2005 12:16 PM

Vegas 6 (optional)?

Seems like only yesterday I went to VV 5 and now there is a 6.

I don't see much there for me except the project nesting.

Do you need to to upgrade in order to be able go to VV 7 when that comes down the pike or can I skip 6 without penalty?

Thanks,

KIM

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2005 12:23 PM

The 24p Architect settings should work just fine. They create a standard MPEG2 file which should be accepted by ANY authoring program. The one thing to note: It will NOT include audio. Render your audio separately as AC-3 and give both the Encore and all should be fine.

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2005 12:26 PM

If history is any indcation.....

You can currently upgrade from V4 to V6 for the same price as V5 to V6. For that matter, the same price will even let you go from V3 to V6.

Question: do you use DVD Architect? If yes, UPGRADE. DVDA3 alone is worth the price of the upgrade. But there's several neat new features in Vegas 6 that would also warrant the upgrade. Take a look at my April 2005 newsletter where I talk about what's new in each.

Aaron Koolen May 10th, 2005 03:09 PM

I am in a similar boat. Been using the trial (9 days left) and really there doesn't seem that much added of any real benefit - to me. I can't see what in DVDA3 is that much better either, I usually just make a DVD with a menu, maybe a submenu and that's it. Edward, I'll look at your newsletter and see if there's stuff I'm missing - thanks.

That said, I think one thing I've noticed that's good is that the Project Media manager doesn't seem to move all my media around the bins from what I can tell so far. V5 used to move them EVERYWHERE. Shame I have to fork out $200 or so just to fix a bug.

Kim, I think you have to look at what you do with it. I am not a pro editor who does this for a living, so I have 1 job (And I don't really get paid for them) I do every 4-5 months. For me the upgrade then becomes more of an issue; 200 can be spent elsewhere on other gear. If it's the same for you then maybe you should save your money.

Aaron

Brent Marks May 11th, 2005 01:17 AM

Anyone have a steadi-cam plugin for Vegas?

Anyone have a steadi-cam plugin for Vegas?

I had a plug in for Premier about a year ago that tremendously reduced camera shake.

Does anyone happen to have one for Vegas?

thanks!

Robert Crawford May 11th, 2005 07:01 AM

There's nothing I know of that runs inside Vegas itself, but there's the Deshake plugin for VirtualDub and the Boris stabilizer that is shipped with Vegas 6.

They do different things, so which to use depends on what you're trying to correct. The DeShake filter smooths out camera motion, while the Boris stabilizer attempts to remove ALL motion.

Hugh DiMauro May 11th, 2005 07:30 AM

Why Does My MPEG-2 Render Freeze?

I am rendering a 90 minute documentary as an MPEG-2 DV Architect Template and the render freezes at 16% each time. When I check the CPU usage indicator it has dropped to zero, meaning the rendering process has just stopped. Why is this happening? I am in a panic because this thing has to be finished for the client by TONIGHT so it can be entered at the IFP in New York by Friday!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Edward Troxel May 11th, 2005 07:46 AM

Try doing a pre-render (to DV-AVI) of the project. After the pre-render, do the MPEG2 render.

Andriy Zolotoiy May 11th, 2005 08:38 AM

I had one of those before with older Vegas, v.4 I think. Problem was in source AVI file, Vegas couldn't retrieve a frame and stuck there. I used VirtualDub to re-save that AVI and problem was gone.

Hugh DiMauro May 11th, 2005 11:00 AM

Ed You Saved My Sorry Ass Again!

Ed:

I did as you said and I got past the 16% mark. Now let's hope that it renders all the way. Just so I'm clear on your suggestion:

I take the finished rendered file and place it on a new timeline then render that out to MPEG-2 with the AC-3 file separately for DV Architect?

Thanks a million for all of your priceless help. I hope I can give back to DV Info a modicum of what it has given me.

Mark Errante May 11th, 2005 04:50 PM

Encoding Problum, Desperate!

Alright Im panicking. I just burnt a DVD from encore that was rendered in vegas 5 with mainconcept. It was set to the standard dvd 24p acrhitecth setting. When I watch it on tv the letterboxing (tried pan/ as well as a mask) moves up and dows slightly and I every once in a while see a whitish line beneath the letterbox. Between the bottom of teh tv screen and the mask. I dont see it on my smaller tv but I think the whole image is moving. Has any one experienced this before? It does not do it with mainconcept on premiere, but premiere seems to have waves through it.errrr....

Thanks!