Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 102 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #1516
Regular Crew

picture in picture

I have done a fair share of editing on Avid Pro and find the picture in picture function easy to use. It is especially helpful when doing promo projects.

I havent been able to get it to work on Vegas 6 yet. How do you do this?
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #1517
Regular Crew

Vegas 6 or PPro 1.5 faster to render HDV?

Just using the interlal plug ins already inside of the softwares, which is faster as rending HDV footage?

Also, I know you can put Vegas on up to 3 computers, can you put PPro on more than one computer?
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #1518
Regular Crew

Owen, I use Vegas 5, not Vegas 6, but making a picture in picture is as easy as putting two video tracks stacked on the timeline, then using the pan-crop tool on the top one to shrink and position it.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #1519
Regular Crew

Render farm with Vegas for HDV footage

Anyone using Vegas with a render farm?

I have 5 computers sitting in boxes and was thinking about setting up a render farm to get the render times down to what it takes DV to render.

Anyone doing this? How many computers you using and how much is it helping render times?
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #1520
Major Player

Make sure your cam is in record mode. If you have it in playback mode you will not see anything coming to the cam from the PC.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #1521
Sponsor: JET DV

Actually, to create a PIP you're better off using Track Motion. Owen, go to the link below my name and look at the first three issues. I cover PIP's extensively there.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #1522
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Actually, to create a PIP you're better off using Track Motion. Owen, go to the link below my name and look at the first three issues. I cover PIP's extensively there.
Or even better, download the free trial of Excalibur (which Edward and Gary developed, I think?!?). Excalibur will do some really cool PIP stuff, very easily. If you use the trial, be careful...you'll buy it! ;)
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #1523
Regular Crew

Why didnt i think of using the pan-crop tool! DUH! Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll check it all out and see what suits me best.

This forum is like having IT services on hand 24/7, except you have one great advantage over IT services, you know what you're talking about!!!

Thanks again
Owen
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #1524
Regular Crew

help with bezier masks

I was trying to use Bezier masking to make a puzzle appear to break into peices and leave the field of view. I made a whole bunch of peices with the Bezier mask with no problem and then made them move with the 3D track motion. The problem is I used ADD masking to put all the peices together (one peice per track). I had to render (in DV AVI) every few tracks to a new track to keep rendering from crashing my computer and to prevent motion aftifacts.

The ADD mask caused two problems.

First, overlapping peices (as they move off the field of view) turn brighter (because they are added). This is anoying but can be acceptable. Second, as I rendered to new tracks, the puzzle became progressively brighter. It seems that some low level background is being added during each render to the new tracks and this slowly accumulates until the puzzle is superlit. Since I start with 286 tracks, this is a significant problem. I used some of the filters to adjust the final output but it looks terrible. Low resolution.

Any suggestions on how to solve these problems? I also tried converting my Bezier masks to regular masks (with the blue screen mask, forgot what it's called) but render times then increased exponentially. A render of a 60 second piece of only 5 tracks was estimated to take 8 hours before it crashed my new notebook.

BTY, I'm using V5.

Thanks.

pdx10, EOS10D
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #1525
Major Player

Hmmmm.....clicked on the link and it redirected me to a microsoft site. Is that right? Love to find out about the academy.

Milt
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #1526

http://www.digitalmediaacademy.com/c...ets/vegas.html is the direct link.
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #1527
Major Player

Looking for a good transfer house

I've been entering a video that I completed this winter in various festivals and I had a question about the best ways to go from my computer to a tranfer house, and which facility has done a good job for people.

My film (VIDEO LETTERS FROM PRISON) is a 30 minute piece that I edited in Vegas and have turned into a DVD. I also have an AVI file of the same piece.
What I need is a BetaSP to send off to the Winnipeg Festival. Other festivals want Digi-Beta.

My question is - can these transfer facilities use an AVI file, and would that result in better quality, or should I just send a DVD? Because it's 30 minutes long, I used a higher constant bitrate, and it really looks good, but the original tape was 24P from my DVX100A and I'm wondering if it would be better if I sent them the AVI file, without the 2332 pulldown.

Shameless plug - the film recently won BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT at the Native Voice Film Festival.

Thanks for the help!
Milt Lee
Hollow Bone Films
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #1528
Major Player

Cool, this time it worked!! THANKS!!

Milt
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #1529
Sponsor: JET DV

I fixed the top link. It should also work now.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1530
Regular Crew

Limitations on Academic V6

Hi,
I'm considering the purchase of V6 for my son who is a broadcast journalism major. Does the "student" version of V6 have any limitations as respects functionality as opposed to the standard retail version?
Thanks - David Bird
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...