DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Peter Jefferson January 14th, 2005 07:27 AM

ive had 3 HDD's fail with Vegas due to copious amounts of rendering.. ive lost 500+ hours worth of work and now im in teh process of recapturing those tapes (lucky i keep my vidcap files..) so hopfully i can reproduce these projects some time..

Vegas is VERY tough on drives.. more so than any other NLE...

Peter Jefferson January 14th, 2005 07:30 AM

install DVDA and register from another machine..

launch the HTML on the instaled system

ive had many people call for support on this one....

Peter Jefferson January 14th, 2005 07:42 AM

this was posted ages ago, you shoulda asked me this when i saw u man!!

One thing about the ram render is that it can cause problems. Its a known issue with newmagic (distributor of VEgas in Aus.. )

anyways... right now, with 1gb ram, u have 895mb to spare for ur ram render..

BUT if u set it full ball, u may inadvertantly kill off ur pagefile allocation as ur ram render cache is higher than ur allocated pagefile for vegas.. then u get stack dump errors during rendering..

ideally for 1gb, 520mb will offer a stable render.. i used to get HEAPS of crashes and wasted alot of time not knowing what the problem was until i took the time to track my pagefile activity....

1gb, drop it to 520 ish.. 2 gb, 1gb ram render should be ok...

im waiting for a render to finsih now, hence the multitude of posts.

Chris Moore January 14th, 2005 08:01 AM

I solved the problem quickly by downloading the newest version from sony.

Glen Elliott January 14th, 2005 09:03 AM

Intermittent problem outputting to external monitor...

I've been experience difficulties getting an image outputting to external monitor recently. I'm actually editing PAL footage for once so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

FYI: I'm outputting to Sony PVM 14 L5/1 production monitor, via a DSR-11 deck (switch to PAL mode).

I have everything up and running my footage on the timeline and I hit the "preview to external monitor button" and get nothing. So I turn the button off- then try again. Nothing again. I go and change the output setting to "Draft (auto)" and try a third time...nothing for about 5 seconds then FINALLY get an image.

Is this nomral. Why am I having problem getting a signal to my production monitor all the sudden. Does the footage being PAL have anything to do with it? I don't recall having this problem with my normal NTSC footage.

Also every so often when I hit the "preview to external monitor" button everything freezes and my cursor becomes an hourglass. The only way to "un-freeze" it is to turn off my device I'm using to output to external monitor whether it be my deck or a DV camera. Is this a known issue also?

Glenn Gipson January 14th, 2005 11:20 AM

Vegas and Sound Forge

If I use Sound Forge with Vegas, will it place my Sound-Forge-edited-audio (taken straight from the time line from off of Vegas with the "Open in Audio Editor" function) back into the same position as it was before it was edited? Just how seamless is this process? Hope this question makes sense, thanks.

Edward Troxel January 14th, 2005 11:31 AM

When you return to Vegas, it will be added as a TAKE to the original audio clip.

Glenn Gipson January 14th, 2005 12:34 PM

Does that mean that it will be added on a new track?

Edward Troxel January 14th, 2005 12:53 PM

No. It is added as a TAKE to the original audio. Both are on the same track in the same position. You can swith back and forth between them (when it is selected) by pressing "T".

Takes allow you to place multiple items in the same event and easily switch between them.

Glenn Gipson January 14th, 2005 12:54 PM

Ahh, I understand, thanks! I will be ordering Sound Forge soon, because I need to "clean up" my dialogue for my feature.

Graham Bernard January 14th, 2005 12:58 PM

No, a take is another "version" of an event. So, omce you've got the "versions" back into the Media Pool in Vegas - as per Edward's comments above, I highlight the events - these are WAVs for me - RIGHT click and DRAG the group - here it was 4 versions - and as you drop these onto the audio portion of the event and release, you get a drop down menu. I select "Add AS Takes" . . this gives the option to Preview all the versions, one at a time. You do this by Right clicking the Audio and going waaay down to the Take section and there you will see the various Takes of the same Audio! Select which one is the one you prefer!

So, that's the TAke on Takes!

Grazie

Graham Bernard January 14th, 2005 01:01 PM

Ah! yah beat me ... G :)

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky January 14th, 2005 01:46 PM

Greetings Ineta,

Riga is of course the birthplace of one of the all time great engineering wonders of photography - The original Minox 8x11!

Edward wrote:

>>>You'd honestly be better off taking the original MPEG file and rendering to a new DV-AVI file, editing with it, and then rendering back to MPEG1.

Edward,

Does Vegas perform this?

I thought you had to render the Mpeg out from Womble or one of the specialized Mpeg programs, and then bring it back in to Vegas.

Brian

Edward Troxel January 14th, 2005 03:01 PM

Yes, Vegas can render from MPEG to DV-AVI.

Aaron Koolen January 14th, 2005 04:56 PM

Is your CPU overclocked? I had problems with Vegas and this. My machine ran perfectly for EVERYTHING else, without a hitch. But when rendering, sometimes it'd reset. So I dropped the clock back down and it's all good now.

Aaron